tom patton

Default hot air gun for torch on query

Hi all
Saw a hot air gun being used for torching on felt on Grand Designs.I am
using the usual propane powered jet engine job to torch down over my opened
roof -dodgy- with sawdust etc in the ceiling.
What type of hot air gun works--is it a tool hire job or will a B&Q type gun
do the job.

BigWallop

"tom patton" wrote in message
k...
Hi all
Saw a hot air gun being used for torching on felt on Grand Designs.I am
using the usual propane powered jet engine job to torch down over my

opened
roof -dodgy- with sawdust etc in the ceiling.
What type of hot air gun works--is it a tool hire job or will a B&Q type

gun
do the job.

Any one at a rating of 1500 watts or above is ideal. Remember "not" to use
it as a hair dryer when the DIY is finished.

tom patton

I suppose the hot tar drips are quite unattractive especially on my bald
head.
Just a thought I could leave it in my sons bedroom he is always borrowing
ours and burning it out.
"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"tom patton" wrote in message
k...
Hi all
Saw a hot air gun being used for torching on felt on Grand Designs.I am
using the usual propane powered jet engine job to torch down over my

opened
roof -dodgy- with sawdust etc in the ceiling.
What type of hot air gun works--is it a tool hire job or will a B&Q type

gun
do the job.

Any one at a rating of 1500 watts or above is ideal. Remember "not" to

use
it as a hair dryer when the DIY is finished.

BigWallop

"tom patton" wrote in message
k...
I suppose the hot tar drips are quite unattractive especially on my bald
head.
Just a thought I could leave it in my sons bedroom he is always borrowing
ours and burning it out.

Sounds like a great way to get rid of your son for a couple days. Remember
to take flowers and grapes to the burns unit. For the nurses, not for the
son. :-)

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"tom patton" wrote in message
k...
Hi all
Saw a hot air gun being used for torching on felt on Grand Designs.I

am
using the usual propane powered jet engine job to torch down over my

opened
roof -dodgy- with sawdust etc in the ceiling.
What type of hot air gun works--is it a tool hire job or will a B&Q

type
gun
do the job.

Any one at a rating of 1500 watts or above is ideal. Remember "not" to

use
it as a hair dryer when the DIY is finished.

tom patton

Bought a 2 killowat Challenge extreme from Argos this morning as long as it
lasts for this one job that will do me.
Im opening the roof-again- tomorrow to set up pads bearing on my Kerto beams
for building my pyramid roof.
Timber comes on Monday.
Im struggling with a framing book just now trying to work out an "easy" way
to draw out rafter end profiles on the load bearing parapet- the peak is
taken care of by very ingenious adjustable Simpson truss hangers-only
drawback they come in boxes of 25 at £150 a box!!!-yup building non standard
is mind bendingly expensive!.
I will never sneer at box bungalows again!.
BigWallop" wrote in message
news

"tom patton" wrote in message
k...
I suppose the hot tar drips are quite unattractive especially on my bald
head.
Just a thought I could leave it in my sons bedroom he is always

borrowing
ours and burning it out.

Sounds like a great way to get rid of your son for a couple days.

Remember
to take flowers and grapes to the burns unit. For the nurses, not for the
son. :-)

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"tom patton" wrote in message
k...
Hi all
Saw a hot air gun being used for torching on felt on Grand Designs.I

am
using the usual propane powered jet engine job to torch down over my
opened
roof -dodgy- with sawdust etc in the ceiling.
What type of hot air gun works--is it a tool hire job or will a B&Q

type
gun
do the job.

Any one at a rating of 1500 watts or above is ideal. Remember "not"

use
it as a hair dryer when the DIY is finished.

BigWallop

"tom patton" wrote in message
. uk...
Bought a 2 killowat Challenge extreme from Argos this morning as long as

it
lasts for this one job that will do me.
Im opening the roof-again- tomorrow to set up pads bearing on my Kerto

beams
for building my pyramid roof.
Timber comes on Monday.
Im struggling with a framing book just now trying to work out an "easy"

way
to draw out rafter end profiles on the load bearing parapet- the peak is
taken care of by very ingenious adjustable Simpson truss hangers-only
drawback they come in boxes of 25 at £150 a box!!!-yup building non

standard
is mind bendingly expensive!.
I will never sneer at box bungalows again!.

snipped

You sound as though you're taking your time, learning and doing it all
properly. That's the best way to do it. :-)

Chris Bacon

tom patton wrote:
Bought a 2 killowat Challenge extreme from Argos this morning as long as it
lasts for this one job that will do me.

Perhaps it'll sort out the real mess you've made of this thread by
including the information you're replying to under your response,
instead of posting your response under the information you're
replying to. I've left the below just so that you can see what I mean.

Im opening the roof-again- tomorrow to set up pads bearing on my Kerto beams
for building my pyramid roof.
Timber comes on Monday.
Im struggling with a framing book just now trying to work out an "easy" way
to draw out rafter end profiles on the load bearing parapet- the peak is
taken care of by very ingenious adjustable Simpson truss hangers-only
drawback they come in boxes of 25 at £150 a box!!!-yup building non standard
is mind bendingly expensive!.
I will never sneer at box bungalows again!.
BigWallop" wrote in message
news
"tom patton" wrote in message
.uk...

I suppose the hot tar drips are quite unattractive especially on my bald
head.
Just a thought I could leave it in my sons bedroom he is always

borrowing

ours and burning it out.

Sounds like a great way to get rid of your son for a couple days.

Remember

to take flowers and grapes to the burns unit. For the nurses, not for the
son. :-)

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. co.uk...

"tom patton" wrote in message
. co.uk...

Hi all
Saw a hot air gun being used for torching on felt on Grand Designs.I

am

using the usual propane powered jet engine job to torch down over my

opened

roof -dodgy- with sawdust etc in the ceiling.
What type of hot air gun works--is it a tool hire job or will a B&Q

type

gun

do the job.

Any one at a rating of 1500 watts or above is ideal. Remember "not"

use

it as a hair dryer when the DIY is finished.

tom patton

Yup was up on the roof today getting the parapet built the whole thing is
grossly overengineered- Kerto beams- tie down straps 1 metre long onto an
existing flat roof made of massive 1974 pine rafters but must just get on
and do it.
I am amazed at the strange mix of up to 70% discount on some stuff eg
underground Marley and the astronomical cost of wee bits of bog standard
metal-but-Im finding out-thats the building trade!.
My next task is learning the skills for putting on my 65 square metre
standing seam zinc roof it looks like its 80% thinking and 20% putting clips
in the right place-oh-and closing the upstand seams of course-but-at a laid
cost of £6500 + VAT I can afford to reroof 3 times in zinc and still save
£2000.
I have found the advice I have got on this newsgroup absolutely invaluable
and quite inspiring in dire times-eg when faced with the daunting task of
breaking up 2 cubes of 6 inch concrete-the Cobra hammer made mincemeat of
it!!.

"BigWallop" wrote in message
k...

"tom patton" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

tom patton

Was up on the roof today the heat gun worked ok-but-not as quick as the
blowtorch so back to torching-even tho a 3.5 kilo bottle of propane is
£10.30 pence shares in Calor must be a good bet.
Going to make a rafter end template tommorow.

you sound as though you're taking your time, learning and doing it all
properly. That's the best way to do it. :-)

BigWallop

"tom patton" wrote in message
. uk...
Was up on the roof today the heat gun worked ok-but-not as quick as the
blowtorch so back to torching-even tho a 3.5 kilo bottle of propane is
£10.30 pence shares in Calor must be a good bet.
Going to make a rafter end template tommorow.

And all looking good so far? Remember the bits undeneath, before you put
the bits on top. :-)

you sound as though you're taking your time, learning and doing it all
properly. That's the best way to do it. :-)

tom patton

Was up on the roof today setting out the main diagonal rafter profiles using
surplus wallplate and plywood end profiles.Everything was ok angles wise so
now ready to set up the 45x225x4.5 metre diagonal ridge rafters.They are
doubled up so certainly do not want to move them much I think I will just
hand saw the end profiles and save time moving them to use power tools.Got a
new hand saw a £8 Homebase job but I ve always found almost any new blade is
good for cross cutting and short ripping.
Rafters arrived today-but no other wood for building the 450mm upstand so
fairly easy day.

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

"tom patton" wrote in message
. uk...
Was up on the roof today the heat gun worked ok-but-not as quick as the
blowtorch so back to torching-even tho a 3.5 kilo bottle of propane is
£10.30 pence shares in Calor must be a good bet.
Going to make a rafter end template tommorow.

And all looking good so far? Remember the bits undeneath, before you put
the bits on top. :-)

you sound as though you're taking your time, learning and doing it all
properly. That's the best way to do it. :-)

Panasonic TX28 Widescreen Query... Alison Hannah Electronics Repair 2 February 10th 05 07:00 PM
Earth Bonding Query. Pet UK diy 12 July 20th 04 05:01 PM
2 Electrics query Jethro UK diy 14 July 12th 04 12:40 AM
Query about the fluing options of a W-B Greenstar Rhys UK diy 4 June 22nd 04 04:04 PM
Bathroom fan wiring query (sorry!) Lobster UK diy 3 May 12th 04 09:29 PM