Rhys

Default Query about the fluing options of a W-B Greenstar

I have a query about the fluing options on the Worceter Greenstart
30HE.

I wish to vent into an existing brick lined chimney. I will require a
800mm offset and then a riser of about 1500mm to enter the chimney.

Will I require a flue liner, and could you recommend a cowl to go on
the top of the chimney?

Or is the best option to extend the flue from the boiler to top and
out of the chimney, my worry is that the moisture in the exhaust could
cause problems unless vented outside.

Can't wait for that chocolate box picture this winter with the "smoke
effect house"

Thanks
Christian McArdle

Will I require a flue liner, and could you recommend a cowl to go on
the top of the chimney?

Firstly, you clearly don't know anywhere near enough to make a safe
installation, so I hope you will be employing a CORGI registered installer
to do the installation.

However, for planning before you employ them, the Greenstar will require the
concentric flue to go all the way to the top of the chimney and terminate in
a purpose built vertical flue terminal. To do this will require quite a few
flue extension pieces (Greenstar specific), which should be allowed for in
your costings. It will also require the flue route to be direct, as it will
be very difficult (read: expensive and possibly impossible) to put bends in
the flue as you pass it up (or down) the chimney. You may find it easier to
install a boiler that accepts a side by side drainpipe flueing system. These
may be easier to install in the chimney (and much cheaper to purchase).
Amongst others, the Keston Celcius 25 has this flue arrangement as standard,
whilst some other manufacturers have this as an option.

Also, if the other side of the chimney is the side of the house and
distances to various features are appropriate, it may be easier just to
stick the flue straight through the wall. Not possible if the other side of
the wall is your neighbours lounge, though.

Christian.

Rhys

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message et...
[...]

I absolutely agree with you - there's no way I'm installing the
boiler. Sorry if I gave you that opinion. I'm just looking for advice
on whether it's possible to use the existing chimney. As it stands the
house used to have a boiler located, I presume, under the chimney -
the boiler was removed ~20 years ago and the chimney boarded up. After
removing the boarding from the base of the chimney I found it straight
but capped.

Thanks for your help.

Rhys
Tony Bryer

In article , Rhys
wrote:
I absolutely agree with you - there's no way I'm installing the
boiler. Sorry if I gave you that opinion. I'm just looking for
advice on whether it's possible to use the existing chimney.

If this is the route the flue needs to go then look at the Keston
Celsius (www.keston.co.uk) as this uses 50mm muPVC plastic waste pipe
for its air inlet and flue - much much cheaper than using numerous flue
extension pipes. If you did decide on this boiler make sure that your
installer knows that he must use muPVC waste not the somewhat cheaper
ordinary uPVC.

Christian McArdle

After removing the boarding from the base of the chimney I found it
straight
but capped.

Then it will be possible, but possibly not cheap or easy to find a plumber
willing to do it. It may be a scaffolding job to fit the top end safely.

Again, do the sums to see if a standard concentric vertical flue (p. cheaper
boiler, but more expensive flue) or a drainpipe flue system will be cheaper.

Christian.