Lobster

Default Bathroom fan wiring query (sorry!)

I know that bathroom fans seem to be one of the most oft-covered
topics (why isn't it in the FAQ?!); but unfortunately I can't seem to
find an answer to my specific query via google...

I'm installing a simple bathroom extractor fan (Screwfix 15927); I'd
like to wire it through a 2-gang light switch on the landing; ie, the
two switches would control the bathroom light and fan completely
independently. There's no timer, humidistat, or anything else; just
straightforward on-off.

Is this permitted under the regs? I can't see why not, but the fan
instructions state that I can only wire it independently using a
pull-cord switch, or wire it in parallel with the bathroom light.

And does the fan still need to be wired through a double-pole
isolation switch, despite not being wired to the light? Can I just use
a double-pole FCU like Screwfix 16437?

Thanks
David
BigWallop

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

It's best to install a localised double pole isolator switch to a fan circuit for
servicing purposes, and it isn't necessary to have a pull cord switch if the switching
is being done from outside the bathroom where you don't have your hands in a wash
basin full of water. So, yes, you can install a two gang switch outside the loo room
to control the fan and lighting independently of each other, but it's best to have the
live and neutral for the fan running through a double pole switch (5 amp rating should
be enough) and install it either above or below the two gang switch before the supply
carries on to the fan itself.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Wheelbarrowbob

but the fan
instructions state that I can only wire it independently using a
pull-cord switch, or wire it in parallel with the bathroom ligh

thats how you do it then

And does the fan still need to be wired through a double-pole
isolation switch, despite not being wired to the light? Can I just use
a double-pole FCU like Screwfix 16437?

fans are usually wired into the lighting circuit using 3 core cable and
isolated using a fan isolator switch