L Reid

Default Light Socket Wiring Query

Hi Folks,

Due to some of the electrical 'eccentricities' I've found since moving in
(the latest being wire wool packed behind light fitting wiring), I thought
I'd run this past the resident guru's for a second opinion.

In our livingroom we have a centre light and some wall lights. The main
livingroom light is a 2 gang switch, however both switches on it appear to
have been wired like a mini 2-way switching circuit. Flicking one switch
turns all the lights on, flicking the other switches them off.

With the switch cover off, there are 4 wires. Red, blue, yellow and earth.
The back of each switch has the following connections : Com, L1 and L2. The
wiring is as follows (earth is earthed to the mounting box):
red - SW1 Com
blue & yellow - SW2 Com

The wiring in between is:
SW1 L1 connected to SW2 L1 by a short cable
SW1 L2 connected to SW2 L2 by a short cable

Diagram (note L1 and L2 are acually at the same height on the switch. ---
denotes connecting cable):

SW1 Com (red) SW2 Com (blue/yellow)

L1 -------------------------- L1
L2 -------------------------- L2

I have establised that the blue is (I believe) the switched live for the
centre light and yellow is the switched live for the wall lights. I want to
wire up this socket to give independant control over the ceiling light and
wall lights (rather than having both come on together). To do this I think I
should connect the live to SW1 Com1, with a linked cable from SW1 to SW2
Com. Then I should connect the blue to SW1 L1 and the yellow to SW2 L1.
Before I proceed, is this correct? If not, what would be the correct way to
do this?

Many thanks,

Leigh (fingers crossed for ASCII diagram...)

Chris Oates

"L Reid" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Due to some of the electrical 'eccentricities' I've found since moving in
(the latest being wire wool packed behind light fitting wiring), I thought
I'd run this past the resident guru's for a second opinion.

Really !!!!!
That's an arsonists trick

Frisket

"L Reid" wrote in message
[...]

If you're certain that the red is the live wire then yes, linking it to both
commons and using the blue on one switch and yellow on the other sounds
right.
HTH, Richard

L Reid

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message

"L Reid" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Due to some of the electrical 'eccentricities' I've found since moving

in
(the latest being wire wool packed behind light fitting wiring), I

thought
I'd run this past the resident guru's for a second opinion.

Really !!!!!
That's an arsonists trick

Gave me a surprise when I was polyfilla'ing around it. Had about 2 seconds
to contemplate what it was before some strands got into the dodgy wiring it
was wrapped around then tested my MCB's for me. Still went with loud bang
and some flames though.

BigWallop

"L Reid" wrote in message
[...]

The Live (red) should be connected across the COM (common) terminals on both
switches, then the Yellow should be connected to the L2 of one switch and
the Blue to L2 of the other. You shouldn't need anything else between them.

Make sure you have the correct wiring configuration by touching the Blue to
the Red, then touch the Yellow to the Red, and see which light fittings they
each control.

L Reid

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"L Reid" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

The Live (red) should be connected across the COM (common) terminals on

both
switches, then the Yellow should be connected to the L2 of one switch and
the Blue to L2 of the other. You shouldn't need anything else between

them.

Make sure you have the correct wiring configuration by touching the Blue

the Red, then touch the Yellow to the Red, and see which light fittings

they
each control.

I ended up wiring pretty much as above, but used the L1 terminals of each
switch for the yellow and blue rather than the L2 switch. Live accross both
COM terminals. I did this as L2 was connected to COM when the switch
appeared to be off, so connecting to L1 meant the switch looked like it was
on when the lights were on, if you follow me. No idea why they were wired in
the original arrangement though. I suspect the original owner got fed up
with trying random combinations to get things working.

Cheers!

Leigh

BigWallop

"L Reid" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"L Reid" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

[...]

This type of switch is called Two Way, and it works by making the L1
terminal connect to the Common terminal when the switch is thrown one way,
and then connects the L2 terminal to the Common when the switch is thrown
the other. So you can turn the switch upside down and connect the Blue and
Yellow to the L1 and L2 terminals, respectively, and the switch will still
look as though it is wired correctly.

I know what I mean. :-))

Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM
BT socket with older style wiring? Mark S. UK diy 16 September 9th 03 11:44 PM
light wiring problem I J H UK diy 7 September 8th 03 09:55 PM
Wiring a light switch JohnB UK diy 2 September 5th 03 10:54 PM