L Reid

Default Light Socket Wiring Query

Hi Folks,

Due to some of the electrical 'eccentricities' I've found since moving in
(the latest being wire wool packed behind light fitting wiring), I thought
I'd run this past the resident guru's for a second opinion.

In our livingroom we have a centre light and some wall lights. The main
livingroom light is a 2 gang switch, however both switches on it appear to
have been wired like a mini 2-way switching circuit. Flicking one switch
turns all the lights on, flicking the other switches them off.

With the switch cover off, there are 4 wires. Red, blue, yellow and earth.
The back of each switch has the following connections : Com, L1 and L2. The
wiring is as follows (earth is earthed to the mounting box):
red - SW1 Com
blue & yellow - SW2 Com

The wiring in between is:
SW1 L1 connected to SW2 L1 by a short cable
SW1 L2 connected to SW2 L2 by a short cable

Diagram (note L1 and L2 are acually at the same height on the switch. ---
denotes connecting cable):

SW1 Com (red) SW2 Com (blue/yellow)

L1 -------------------------- L1
L2 -------------------------- L2

I have establised that the blue is (I believe) the switched live for the
centre light and yellow is the switched live for the wall lights. I want to
wire up this socket to give independant control over the ceiling light and
wall lights (rather than having both come on together). To do this I think I
should connect the live to SW1 Com1, with a linked cable from SW1 to SW2
Com. Then I should connect the blue to SW1 L1 and the yellow to SW2 L1.
Before I proceed, is this correct? If not, what would be the correct way to
do this?

Many thanks,

Leigh (fingers crossed for ASCII diagram...)