Rick

Default "superquilt" roof insulation.

I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

Its goona be much easier "materials handeling" than kingspan, and
thinner.

Neither product I have seen claims a BBA certificate. I am not sure a
BBA certificate means much, I have had products with certificates
fails, and the BBA arn't intereted ...

Rick

RzB

I too was interested in this last year. However I'm yet to be convinced.

The opposition don't agree.... see..

http://www.celotex.co.uk/pdf/Multi-foil_Bulletin.pdf

done. Last December I asked them for details of how the test were done. They
sent me ...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6DA127EA

and

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R6EA537EA

However these do not describe the test in detail or how it's performed...

When I pressed them for details they said....

"Sorry, no, these are not for public release"

I have no idea if there have been any further developments dince Dec 04....

Roy

Rick wrote:
I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

not bubblewrap is it?

Put it this way, you know insulation works by trapping air and keeping
it still... what is so vastly superior about this product compared to
glass wool? How exactly does 1" of it trap and keep still more air?

NT

Biff

Rick wrote:
I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

There's been a lot of debate about this stuff and the methods used for
testing it. A lot of heat loss is by radiation and the multilayers of
foil separated by foam cut this rather dramatically. It's not cheap
but if your space is limited it could be a good option.
In the cryogenics field where vessels containing liquid nitrogen or
even colder substances need to be kept very insulated from the
environment, multifoil blankets consisting of 30 layers of foil and
paper per inch are used.

RzB

There's been a lot of debate about this stuff and the methods used for
testing it. A lot of heat loss is by radiation and the multilayers of
foil separated by foam cut this rather dramatically. It's not cheap
but if your space is limited it could be a good option.
In the cryogenics field where vessels containing liquid nitrogen or
even colder substances need to be kept very insulated from the
environment, multifoil blankets consisting of 30 layers of foil and
paper per inch are used.

Yes.. What concerns me is that it does not seem possible
to get details of exactly how they do the testing of this stuff.
If they published the details of the method and the results it
would help me make up my mind. See my earlier post..

Roy

Fergal

"Rick" wrote in message

I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

Its goona be much easier "materials handeling" than kingspan, and
thinner.

Neither product I have seen claims a BBA certificate. I am not sure a
BBA certificate means much, I have had products with certificates
fails, and the BBA arn't intereted ...

Rick

I used something which sounds similar to this on my loft room. It's called
Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis.

The previous owners had boarded under the rafters and partially insulated
with polystyrene, but it was freezing in the winter. I didn't fancy ripping
it all out and installing celotex between the rafters, or installing celotex
under the rafters as that would have lost too much height. Then I found out
about the Tri Iso Super 9. I just stapled it to the existing plasterboard,
put battens on top, then more plasterboard. I've only lost about 3 inches of
height and the room is significantly warmer than before. To be fair, the
extra warmth is probably also due to better draught proofing and
repositioning the radiator.

Fergal

NickFinnigan

"Rick" wrote in message

I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

I'm waiting for IMM to post his opinion, then we will know for sure.

Martin Evans

"Fergal" wrote:

I used something which sounds similar to this on my loft room. It's called
Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis.

snip

To be fair, the
extra warmth is probably also due to better draught proofing and
repositioning the radiator.

More or less correct, see
www.celotex.co.uk/pdf/Multi-foil_Bulletin.pdf

Lobster

NickFinnigan wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

I'm waiting for IMM to post his opinion, then we will know for sure.

We won't you know...!

see http://tinyurl.com/74urs

David

Doctor Evil

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message
"Rick" wrote in message

I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

I'm waiting for IMM to post his opinion, then we will know for sure.

Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money for
bubble wrap.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Biff

Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money for
bubble wrap.

But Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis is not
bubble wrap. If you study it from the point of view of a theoretical
physisist you may conclude the manufacturer's claims are likely to be
correct.

Making your own with several layers of cooking foil and craft paper
would, of course, be much cheaper.
Doctor Evil

"Biff" wrote in message

Is it independently tested? If not then
give it a miss. A lot of money for
bubble wrap.

But Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French
company called Actis is not
bubble wrap. If you study it from the
point of view of a theoretical
physisist you may conclude the
manufacturer's claims are likely to be
correct.

They claim the equiv of 200mm of Rockwoll in performance. No independent
test confirms this. A foam maker slags it but will not give full details of
their test. The jury is out. One organisation in Florida concluded that
radiant barriers are good for keeping heat out, in the attic. Other tests
in the US say is performs badly in cold climates. Any benefits are likely
to be draft proofing and a small amount of insulation from the bubble wrap.
Very expensive for so little. Beware!!!!

Making your own with several layers
of cooking foil and craft paper
would, of course, be much cheaper.

And probably as effective as the vastly overpriced Tri Iso.

If this stuff does what they say, It would have it in the loft tomorrow.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Mike

"Biff" wrote in message
Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money

for
bubble wrap.

But Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis is not
bubble wrap. If you study it from the point of view of a theoretical
physisist you may conclude the manufacturer's claims are likely to be
correct.

$ Theorectical Physicist mode on
If the main transfer mode of the heat being lost is radiant then the stuff
works very well. But if the main loss mode is through convection it won't.

In a vacuum the first is true and I would imagine some satellites are
insulated with something like this.

NickFinnigan

"Rick" wrote in message

I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

I'm waiting for IMM to post his opinion, then we will know for sure.

Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money for
bubble wrap.

It has been independantly tested.

RzB

"NickFinnigan"

I'm waiting for IMM to post his opinion, then we will know for sure.

Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money
for
bubble wrap.

It has been independantly tested.

I was interested in Tri-Iso9 last year and was told
it had been independently tested. However I was
unable to get the details of how the test was
conducted... I was told ...

"Sorry, no, these are not for public release"

Does not give me a warm feeling (no pun intended..:-)

Roy

Mike

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message
I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

It has been independantly tested.

Do you have a reference to this please ?

NickFinnigan

"Mike" wrote in message

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message
I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

It has been independantly tested.

Do you have a reference to this please ?

Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Mike

"Mike" wrote in message

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message
I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm

kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

It has been independantly tested.

Do you have a reference to this please ?

Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

Doctor Evil

"RzB" wrote in message

"NickFinnigan"

I'm waiting for IMM to post his opinion, then we will know for sure.

Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money
for
bubble wrap.

It has been independantly tested.

I was interested in Tri-Iso9 last year and was told
it had been independently tested. However I was
unable to get the details of how the test was
conducted... I was told ...

"Sorry, no, these are not for public release"

They supposedly tested two hot box houses in France. Apart from that little
else of the test. It is not independently tested and verified by a credible
organisation. Just wild claims.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Doctor Evil

"Mike" wrote in message

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message
I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says

it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm

kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

It has been independantly tested.

Do you have a reference to this please ?

Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

Cellotex were coy about their test too.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Mike

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

Cellotex were coy about their test too.

Yes - but the BS test is published - and believeable.

NickFinnigan

"Mike" wrote in message

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message

Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy.

Dr Evil merely asked if it had been independently tested.
Still no opinion from IMM though.

I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

The Celotext description of the NPL test showed that
it actually did work (for some value of work).

Doctor Evil

"Mike" wrote in message

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message

Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy.

Dr Evil merely asked if it had been independently tested.
Still no opinion from IMM though.

I think he would say give it a wide berth.

I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

The Celotext description of the NPL test showed that
it actually did work (for some value of work).

Price/performance. If it does what you want going by these Cellotex test,
then if the price is right, then it is fine. Currently it is "very"
expensive for what it is.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Pete C

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:23:31 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

I'd guess it's as good as 200mm rockwool when used under the floor,
but only as good as 90mm rockwool when used in walls and as good as
60mm rockwool when used in ceilings.

OTOH for preventing solar gain in ceilings it would be as good as
200mm rockwool. All these would require ~25mm airgap either side.

Probably comes into it's own for insulating uneven or odd shaped gaps
and cavities, especially where a vapour barrier is also required or a
gap for ventilation.

cheers,
Pete.

Rick

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:34:40 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

"Biff" wrote in message
m...
Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money

for
bubble wrap.

But Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis is not
bubble wrap. If you study it from the point of view of a theoretical
physisist you may conclude the manufacturer's claims are likely to be
correct.

$ Theorectical Physicist mode on
If the main transfer mode of the heat being lost is radiant then the stuff
works very well. But if the main loss mode is through convection it won't.

In a vacuum the first is true and I would imagine some satellites are
insulated with something like this.

But my house is not in a vacum ...........

Mike

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:23:31 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

I'd guess it's as good as 200mm rockwool when used under the floor,

That's where I used it (see previous post). It isn't except possibly for
reflecting heat from the underfloor heating upwards. When that's off it
does nothing.

but only as good as 90mm rockwool when used in walls and as good as
60mm rockwool when used in ceilings.

Mike

"Rick" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:34:40 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

"Biff" wrote in message
m...
Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of

money
for
bubble wrap.

But Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis is not
bubble wrap. If you study it from the point of view of a theoretical
physisist you may conclude the manufacturer's claims are likely to be
correct.

$ Theorectical Physicist mode on
If the main transfer mode of the heat being lost is radiant then the

stuff
works very well. But if the main loss mode is through convection it

won't.

In a vacuum the first is true and I would imagine some satellites are
insulated with something like this.

But my house is not in a vacum ...........

Then hopefully it is insulated with Kingspan or Celotex :-)

Doctor Evil

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:23:31 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

I'd guess it's as good as 200mm rockwool when used under the floor,
but only as good as 90mm rockwool when used in walls and as good as
60mm rockwool when used in ceilings.

OTOH for preventing solar gain in ceilings it would be as good as
200mm rockwool. All these would require ~25mm airgap either side.

All the above equivs. Is that just a guess by you?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"David" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

"NickFinnigan" wrote in message
I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says

it
acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm

kingspan,
which is also about the same U value.

It has been independantly tested.

Do you have a reference to this please ?

Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had
something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

A builder has just installed this stuff in the roofs of two new houses
next to me, interesting looking material, the builder hasn't spared any
expense on the rest of the build and had plenty of celotex on site which
he used for the floors. He's convinced that the quilt is the dogs gonads
as far as over the rafters type of insulation goes.

Bertie, has he any figures to prove the performance? Or does he just wave
his arms when explaining things?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

RzB

clip

--
David

Well he would wouldn't he. It's much easier for him to lay.
But he isn't paying for it's installation or for any future heating bills.
It's a no brainer for the builder.... :-)

Roy

Doctor Evil

"RzB" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message

clip

A builder has just installed this stuff in the roofs of two new houses
next to me, interesting looking material, the builder hasn't spared any
expense on the rest of the build and had plenty of celotex on site which
he used for the floors. He's convinced that the quilt is the dogs gonads
as far as over the rafters type of insulation goes.
--
David

Well he would wouldn't he. It's much easier for him to lay.
But he isn't paying for it's installation or for any future heating bills.
It's a no brainer for the builder.... :-)

Builders tend not to have much brains anyway.