Default Grand Designs: building a shed in Peckham

Anyone see "Grand Designs" last night? Chap built a flat-roof house on
a narrow site in Peckham. He basically banged up a metal frame and clad
it in some "phenolic plywood" or something, with sliding glass
sky-lights.

* I missed the beginning. They built a house which appeared to block
out the light to the side windows of the adjacent property. In a case
like this is it OK so long as the neighbour does not complain to the
planning dept when plans are announced?

* The flat roof had a plywood base. How long would this last? I used to
have problems with the plywood on my old flat roof garage.

* Peckham has a dodgy reputation. Wonder if there were any break-ins
during the build. They never tell you stuff like this!

Bruce

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
writes:
Anyone see "Grand Designs" last night? Chap built a flat-roof house on
a narrow site in Peckham. He basically banged up a metal frame and clad
it in some "phenolic plywood" or something, with sliding glass
sky-lights.

* I missed the beginning. They built a house which appeared to block
out the light to the side windows of the adjacent property. In a case
like this is it OK so long as the neighbour does not complain to the
planning dept when plans are announced?

It's also OK if the side windows were put in without planning
permission, as a colleague found out. (Planning dept suggested
applying for retrospective planning permission -- there was
nothing to lose as the windows had been in long enough that
even if it was refused, they couldn't be forced to remove them.)

* The flat roof had a plywood base. How long would this last? I used to
have problems with the plywood on my old flat roof garage.

It probably got attacked by condensation from underneath.
With proper insulation and ventilation, that shouldn't happen.

* Peckham has a dodgy reputation. Wonder if there were any break-ins
during the build. They never tell you stuff like this!

Reminds me of a recent flight back from Los Angeles...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, we will shortly be landing at Heathrow.
Passengers on the lefthand side of the plane should find they
have a good view of the River Thames, London Bridge, Tower Bridge,"
and he went on to list several more attractions I don't recall.
"I'm sorry, but passengers on the right hand side of the plane
can only see Peckham."
It caused quite a giggle at the end of a long flight.

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Rumm

Anyone see "Grand Designs" last night? Chap built a flat-roof house on
a narrow site in Peckham. He basically banged up a metal frame and clad
it in some "phenolic plywood" or something, with sliding glass
sky-lights.

He uses a steel frame, a concrete fire board, something like 50mm to
100mm of PIR foam, and then the plywood over the top.

* I missed the beginning. They built a house which appeared to block
out the light to the side windows of the adjacent property. In a case
like this is it OK so long as the neighbour does not complain to the
planning dept when plans are announced?

I thought he had a barrage on the right hand side, and the house to the
left did not have any low level windows?

* The flat roof had a plywood base. How long would this last? I used to
have problems with the plywood on my old flat roof garage.

Ought to be good for 30 years min I would have thought - probably much
longer. There were three layers resin bonded together - with the roofing
layers over the top.

* Peckham has a dodgy reputation. Wonder if there were any break-ins
during the build. They never tell you stuff like this!

Judging by the way that Kevin seems to revel in "it all going pear
shaped" on some of the builds, I bet they would! ;-) Perhaps that is why
they built a "stealth house".

Not to my personal taste, but a very impressive achievement and result
all the same.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone see "Grand Designs" last night? Chap built a flat-roof house on
a narrow site in Peckham. He basically banged up a metal frame and clad
it in some "phenolic plywood" or something, with sliding glass
sky-lights.

* I missed the beginning. They built a house which appeared to block
out the light to the side windows of the adjacent property. In a case
like this is it OK so long as the neighbour does not complain to the
planning dept when plans are announced?

* The flat roof had a plywood base. How long would this last? I used to
have problems with the plywood on my old flat roof garage.

* Peckham has a dodgy reputation. Wonder if there were any break-ins
during the build. They never tell you stuff like this!

Bruce

Not in this program but another property development program, guy buys
burned out shell at auction and proceeds to renovate it..... part way
through it showed that his boiler and generator were stolen.

I've looked on the C4 web site.
The house next door is quite a handsome house. It has ground floor and
1st floor side windows.

Total cost was =A3170k + =A340k for the land...and he made the glass roof
himself on the cheap. And got free/cheap labour from his mates.
The building costs seem very high for the end result.

Bruce

Yes, that was a good program. "So you wanna be a Property Developer".

Somebody fly-tipped in the blokes back yard as well.

Bruce

chris French

In message , John
Rumm writes
wrote:

Anyone see "Grand Designs" last night? Chap built a flat-roof house on
a narrow site in Peckham. He basically banged up a metal frame and clad
it in some "phenolic plywood" or something, with sliding glass
sky-lights.

snip

Not to my personal taste, but a very impressive achievement and result
all the same.

I loved the sliding glass roof.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, that was a good program. "So you wanna be a Property Developer".

Somebody fly-tipped in the blokes back yard as well.

Bruce

yeah, that was it..... he didn't have such a good time.

Guy Dawson

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reminds me of a recent flight back from Los Angeles...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, we will shortly be landing at Heathrow.
Passengers on the lefthand side of the plane should find they
have a good view of the River Thames, London Bridge, Tower Bridge,"
and he went on to list several more attractions I don't recall.
"I'm sorry, but passengers on the right hand side of the plane
can only see Peckham."
It caused quite a giggle at the end of a long flight.

On a flight from Brisbane to Sydney we were over the sea flying past
Sydney. The announcement went

Passangers on the right hand side of the plane will have a panaramic
view of Sydney harbour. Passangers of the left hand side will have a
view of passangers of the right hand side!

Guy
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson @ SMTP - // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M
4.45.4 4.45.4 4.45.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.45.4 4.45.4
Mike

"David Hearn" wrote in message
Anyone see "Grand Designs" last night? Chap built a flat-roof house on
a narrow site in Peckham. He basically banged up a metal frame and
clad it in some "phenolic plywood" or something, with sliding glass
sky-lights.

* I missed the beginning. They built a house which appeared to block
out the light to the side windows of the adjacent property. In a case
like this is it OK so long as the neighbour does not complain to the
planning dept when plans are announced?

I think he was restricted to a single storey as it was out of keeping with
the rest of the housing there, and because it would have affected the

light
of the neighbouring houses. He also had to hide it from the road front.

In
the end, it looked sort of similar to the garage of the house on the

right -
I guess that was partly by plan of the planners.

Anyone else notice the "For Sale" board at the house on the left mid-way
through?

Yep. If I had been that house I would have bid enough to get the land at
auction so as to extend the garden and stop some idiot squeezing his
erection against my toilet window.

John Rumm

Mike wrote:

Yep. If I had been that house I would have bid enough to get the land at
auction so as to extend the garden and stop some idiot squeezing his
erection against my toilet window.

How do you know it was not the same idiot selling the bit of land
adjacent to his toilet window in the first place, since it was a chance
to get an extra 40K for not much, and "who cares since I am flogging the
house anyway!" ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Chris J Dixon wrote:

steam (water vapour for pedants) it gives off is enormous. This
is acceptable in a bathroom, but their whole open plan bedroom,
complete with its acres of glass, would be awash.

Perhaps that is the idea to save needing curtains ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

What I meant was that for 170k building costs I would have expected a
more substantial building. Maybe even some brickwork...

Bruce

Chris J Dixon

John Rumm wrote:

How do you know it was not the same idiot selling the bit of land
adjacent to his toilet window in the first place, since it was a chance
to get an extra 40K for not much, and "who cares since I am flogging the
house anyway!" ;-)

And the timing of the sales are crucial to minimise CGT.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Yep. If I had been that house I would have bid enough to get the land

at
auction so as to extend the garden and stop some idiot squeezing his
erection against my toilet window.

How do you know it was not the same idiot selling the bit of land
adjacent to his toilet window in the first place, since it was a chance
to get an extra 40K for not much, and "who cares since I am flogging the
house anyway!" ;-)

I think I would sell the house first retaining the land, then sell the land
later. The house was seriously devalued by that monstrosity.

Jon

"Paul \( Skiing8 \)" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, that was a good program. "So you wanna be a Property Developer".

Somebody fly-tipped in the blokes back yard as well.

Bruce

yeah, that was it..... he didn't have such a good time.

I had all my kitchen appliances ripped out during my last project.
They flooded the place too when the washing machine came out.
Everything was carried out of the front door and, of course, nobody
saw anything....
The Natural Philosopher

Sam Nelson wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

wrote:

What I meant was that for 170k building costs I would have expected a
more substantial building. Maybe even some brickwork...

Bruce

Why? that building was substantial enough.

I was very impressed with the way he did it. That steel would stand more
earthquakes than bricks ever would, and the ply cladding was fine by me.

Essentialy it was a timber frame type building with the timber replaced
by steel.

I had no particular problem with the construction. I just thought it didn't
work, as a finished house: it was, well, a posh kids' den, nothing more.

Thts what most houses are.
Chris J Dixon

Mike wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

How do you know it was not the same idiot selling the bit of land
adjacent to his toilet window in the first place, since it was a chance
to get an extra 40K for not much, and "who cares since I am flogging the
house anyway!" ;-)

I think I would sell the house first retaining the land, then sell the land
later. The house was seriously devalued by that monstrosity.

IIRC doing it that way, the land gets full CGT, as it is no
longer part of your main dwelling.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Mike

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

How do you know it was not the same idiot selling the bit of land
adjacent to his toilet window in the first place, since it was a chance
to get an extra 40K for not much, and "who cares since I am flogging

the
house anyway!" ;-)

I think I would sell the house first retaining the land, then sell the

land
later. The house was seriously devalued by that monstrosity.

IIRC doing it that way, the land gets full CGT, as it is no
longer part of your main dwelling.

True. But as the land went at auction for only £40k, and you would have
owned it for many years, and provided you were married and had it in joint
names, you should be able to mimimize the tax due.