Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
writes:
Anyone see "Grand Designs" last night? Chap built a flat-roof house on
a narrow site in Peckham. He basically banged up a metal frame and clad
it in some "phenolic plywood" or something, with sliding glass
sky-lights.

* I missed the beginning. They built a house which appeared to block
out the light to the side windows of the adjacent property. In a case
like this is it OK so long as the neighbour does not complain to the
planning dept when plans are announced?

It's also OK if the side windows were put in without planning
permission, as a colleague found out. (Planning dept suggested
applying for retrospective planning permission -- there was
nothing to lose as the windows had been in long enough that
even if it was refused, they couldn't be forced to remove them.)

* The flat roof had a plywood base. How long would this last? I used to
have problems with the plywood on my old flat roof garage.

It probably got attacked by condensation from underneath.
With proper insulation and ventilation, that shouldn't happen.

* Peckham has a dodgy reputation. Wonder if there were any break-ins
during the build. They never tell you stuff like this!

Reminds me of a recent flight back from Los Angeles...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, we will shortly be landing at Heathrow.
Passengers on the lefthand side of the plane should find they
have a good view of the River Thames, London Bridge, Tower Bridge,"
and he went on to list several more attractions I don't recall.
"I'm sorry, but passengers on the right hand side of the plane
can only see Peckham."
It caused quite a giggle at the end of a long flight.

--
Andrew Gabriel