Uwe

Default Enco quality??

I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more from top to bottom!?!?!

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe

Grant Erwin

Uwe wrote:
I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more from top to bottom!?!?!

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe

I just measured one of my Cleveland Steel Tool adjustable reamers. I didn't
see *any* variation. Jeez, these are supposed to be what you use to get
tenths accuracy. - GWE
Robert Swinney

Uwe sez, trollishly, " The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more
from top to bottom!?!?!"

Duh! Could it be that is why they are called adjustable reamers?

Bob Swinney

"Uwe" wrote in message
I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe

Uwe

So adjustable means having a taper??

Uwe

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Uwe" wrote in message
So adjustable means having a taper??

Not specifically. It means adjustable in diameter. With Enco, it could
mean, adjustable in diameter and roundness, and of undefined positive or
negative taper over length.
LLoyd

Grant Erwin

I think Bob was having a little fun at Enco's expense, Uwe. No way they
should have a taper. However, there *are* such things as tapered reamers.
But I don't think that's what you bought.

GWE

From: "Robert Swinney"
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:36:43 -0600

Uwe sez, trollishly, " The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more
from top to bottom!?!?!"

Duh! Could it be that is why they are called adjustable reamers?

Tim Killian

In my experience, the import adjustable reamers are essentially
single-use, non-precision tools. The jam nuts are made of pot metal and
they will round off and fall apart after a couple of uses. the blades
are hardened, but as you found out, they may not be exactly straight.

But since they only cost 1/3 as much as the good stuff, perhaps it's not
a bad deal if you only need them occasionally. Enco is a strange outfit.
They're owned by MSC now, and sell many of the same products at much
lower prices.

Uwe wrote:
I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more from top to bottom!?!?!

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe

Tim Killian

There is a slight taper at the front end for entering the hole. You have
to run the whole thing through to cut the full diameter. The adjustment
allows the sizes to overlap -- until the jam nut breaks.

Uwe wrote:

So adjustable means having a taper??

Uwe

Michael Rainey

Many high quality commercial reamers taper slightly (called "back taper").
This works because a reamer normally only cuts on the end. The more back
taper you have, the faster the effective diameter of the reamer becomes
smaller as it's sharpened.

Uwe wrote:

So adjustable means having a taper??

Uwe

Clif Holland

I bought probably the same set. It was absolute junk. The taper was beyond
belief and the individual pairs of opposing cutters were not even close to
the same diameter. I had them too long before discovering this to return
them and threw them in the trash.

--

Clif Holland, KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"Uwe" wrote in message
I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more from top to
bottom!?!?!

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe

B.B.

Enco Quality : Military Intelligence

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Bugs

HF sells a pretty well made set that has worked well so far. I did
disassemble them all and clean up a few burrs. It's all steel and the
blades are reasonably parallel for my purposes. Use them with plenty of
lubricant.
Bugs

CarlC

I'd say Enco quality beats the heck outta Harbor Freight. Quick
service.

But adjustable reamers? Save your money. As Art says, they end up
in the trash. Bite the bullet and order "over or under" individual
reamers. You will be a lot happier.

Carl

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 04:53:40 GMT, Art
wrote:

I bought one a ways back. The only thing it did well was p*ss me off.
Ended up in the trash.

Art

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:08:29 GMT, Uwe wrote:

I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more from top to bottom!?!?!

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe

Jaggy Taggy

Well, before I would throw the reamers in the trash I called Enco and
explained to the sales lady that I was unhappy with the reamers, having
variations of up to .020. The said because they were imported the "exact
precision" was not like more expensive ones, but they would exchange them.

To make sure that I would be getting an improved version I asked what Enco
thought would be reasonable specs on adjustable reamers.

The lady was very accommodating and called around but only found out that
they had reamers which were to spec in the warehouse and they would send
those. I insisted to know what those specs were and after another round of
phone calls she said that there were no specs on those reamers.

In a way the reamers they sent me were ok then.

What did I learn??

First of all, if I am foolish enough to believe that a nice set of about 10
large bore reamers can be produced and sold for around $50 my greed
apparently makes me do really silly things, like order the set.

Then I spend about a total of an hour on the phone, go look for packing
material and prepare the stuff to be shipped back and then I hope I get a
refund.

Still no reamers.

Did anybody say you get what you pay for!?!?!

Uwe

wrote:

I bought one a ways back. The only thing it did well was p*ss me off.
Ended up in the trash.

Art

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:08:29 GMT, Uwe wrote:

I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not more from top to bottom!?!?!

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe

steamer

--Remember there are two companies tied together now; MSC sells
the "real" stuff and Enco sells the crap to the uninformed amateurs. They
cover all the bases that way..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blah blah blah blah
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : blah blah blah...

ENCO quality has to be an oxymoron. Leigh @ MarMachine

Tim Killian

Not true really -- both catalogs list some of the exact same products.
The crappy adjustable import reamers mentioned earlier in this thread
are available from MSC, and Enco sells the same high-quality slitting
saw arbors as MSC, for 40% less.

steamer wrote:
--Remember there are two companies tied together now; MSC sells
the "real" stuff and Enco sells the crap to the uninformed amateurs. They
cover all the bases that way..

For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. Draft 2 John Rumm UK diy 55 March 13th 05 01:27 AM
B&S Taper collets for Enco semi universal dividing head Abrasha Metalworking 5 February 8th 05 06:47 AM
Jointer vs Table saw cut quality TeamCasa Woodworking 48 October 26th 04 06:03 PM
ENCO again Marv Soloff Metalworking 0 September 5th 03 09:36 AM
ENCO no-name chuck or Bison? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 7 August 28th 03 03:08 PM