Michael Rainey

Many high quality commercial reamers taper slightly (called "back taper").
This works because a reamer normally only cuts on the end. The more back
taper you have, the faster the effective diameter of the reamer becomes
smaller as it's sharpened.

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
There is a slight taper at the front end for entering the hole. You have
to run the whole thing through to cut the full diameter. The adjustment
allows the sizes to overlap -- until the jam nut breaks.

Uwe wrote:

So adjustable means having a taper??

Uwe

From: "Robert Swinney"
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:36:43 -0600
Subject: Enco quality??

Uwe sez, trollishly, " The Enco stuff I got varies easily .010 if not
more
from top to bottom!?!?!"

Duh! Could it be that is why they are called adjustable reamers?

Bob Swinney

"Uwe" wrote in message

I just received a set of adjustable reamers and while I do not expect
them
to be as good as a chucking reamer I wanted to know from the local
experts
here, what I could expect in variation along the length of the reamer.

Drop Enco and buy swiss made from now on??

Uwe