Gunner

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:10:12 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

yourname wrote:

But my point was: how are you *risking* anything more with PayPal than
you would by sending a money order, check, or cash to an eBay seller??
I consider PayPal to be much more reliable/risk free than your average
random eBay seller.

If you open a PayPal account, they link it to your checking account. If
someone penetrates your account, they can empty out your checking
account! I know people this has happened to. It is scary.

Jon

It happened to me. Took a bit over a month to get the money back.
Ive since changed the passwords and only keep a few dollars in that
account. (not that I have any money anyways..sigh)

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:24:21 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

jim rozen wrote:
If they cleaned up their house a bit more folks would use
paypal but for now it's too risky.

But my point was: how are you *risking* anything more with PayPal than
you would by sending a money order, check, or cash to an eBay seller??
I consider PayPal to be much more reliable/risk free than your average
random eBay seller.

Bob

Bob, have you ever had money withdrawn electronically without your
permission? I have. The bank said the company doing the withdrawals
just sends the proper info and the bank hands over the dough. Even if
you tell the bank that nobody but you has permission to make
electronic withdrawals. And if you set up another account just for
paypal for safety when paypal asks for more than what's in the account
the bank will charge you for being overdrawn even if they don't send
any money to paypal. Then you have to go through all the trouble of
getting paypal to tell the bank they made a mistake to protect your
credit and so you can be reimbursed for the overdraft fees.
Eric
jim rozen

In article , Eric R Snow says...

Bob, have you ever had money withdrawn electronically without your
permission? I have. The bank said the company doing the withdrawals
just sends the proper info and the bank hands over the dough. Even if
you tell the bank that nobody but you has permission to make
electronic withdrawals. And if you set up another account just for
paypal for safety when paypal asks for more than what's in the account
the bank will charge you for being overdrawn even if they don't send
any money to paypal. Then you have to go through all the trouble of
getting paypal to tell the bank they made a mistake to protect your
credit and so you can be reimbursed for the overdraft fees.

I've also seen cases where the bank will 'cover' one account
with another, even though they were specifically told not to.
These days I'd be suprised if they would not do that, even if
the accounts were at two different banks!

Banks basically do whatever they want, they have your money.

Jim

please reply to:
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:10:12 -0600, the inscrutable Jon Elson
spake:

yourname wrote:

But my point was: how are you *risking* anything more with PayPal than
you would by sending a money order, check, or cash to an eBay seller??
I consider PayPal to be much more reliable/risk free than your average
random eBay seller.

If you open a PayPal account, they link it to your checking account. If
someone penetrates your account, they can empty out your checking
account! I know people this has happened to. It is scary.

That's why I spent half an hour and no money to open a free account
(specifically for Paypal use) at a local bank.

OTOH, when someone stole my credit card number from one of the dozen
vendors I use online (and have for a decade with only this incident to
lament), I got acknowledgement emails from the companies and instantly
notified my bank. The money was back in my account (and no fees were
charged) the next day. They had sucked the account dry and run up some
CC bills since the card was linked to the account, so rapid reaction
was really nice to have. I still use U.S. Bank today. Great folks.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Tim Killian

You will find the term "offsets" buried in the fine print of most
checking account agreements. It allows banks to transfer money, at their
discretion, from other accounts you might have with them to cover
deficiencies in a checking, credit card, or loan account. The only way
to prevent it is to have your accounts with separate banks.

Paypal is great for $5 eBay payments when everything goes right. It's a
black hole when something goes wrong and large amounts are involved. I
would never allow them access to any checking account.

jim rozen wrote:

I've also seen cases where the bank will 'cover' one account
with another, even though they were specifically told not to.
These days I'd be suprised if they would not do that, even if
the accounts were at two different banks!

Banks basically do whatever they want, they have your money.

Jim

jim rozen

In article , Tim Killian says...

Paypal is great for $5 eBay payments when everything goes right.

Heck, Abe Lincoln in an envelope does better than that! :^)

Jim

please reply to:
Charles A. Sherwood

Note that one of the trojans may have installed backdoors in the

Will adaware find the trojans? IF not what does find them?

Dave Hinz

On 17 Mar 2005 20:50:44 GMT, Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

Note that one of the trojans may have installed backdoors in the

Will adaware find the trojans?

It finds most if not all of them. I'll run an adaware scan before I run
an antivirus scan, just because it's quicker.

IF not what does find them?

AVG antivirus is good, free, and very configurable. www.grisoft.com

jk

Ignoramus1084 wrote:

Exactly. Interest in machine tools and bad check writing do not seem
to go together.

What, no one around here remembers Babin?

jk

jim rozen

In article , jk says...

Exactly. Interest in machine tools and bad check writing do not seem
to go together.

What, no one around here remembers Babin?
jk

Heh. It's not clear he knew how to write...

Jim

please reply to:
Charles A. Sherwood

AVG antivirus is good, free, and very configurable. www.grisoft.com

only free for the first month.

Carl

AVG Free Edition is the well-known anti-virus protection tool. AVG Free is
available free-of-charge to home users for the life of the product! Rapid virus
database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby
providing the high-level of detection capability that millions of users around
the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy-to-use and will not
slow your system down (low system resource requirements).

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote:

AVG antivirus is good, free, and very configurable. www.grisoft.com

only free for the first month.

Dave Hinz

On 17 Mar 2005 22:19:39 GMT, Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

AVG antivirus is good, free, and very configurable. www.grisoft.com

only free for the first month.

Hm?

From the main page, "AVG Free Edition" on the left panel, takes you a page
which says, among other things,

"AVG Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer
use only. Use of AVG Free Edition within any organization or for
commercial purposes is strictly prohibited. Your use of AVG Free Edition
shall be in accordance with and is subject to the terms and conditions set
forth in the AVG Free Edition License Agreement which accompanies AVG
Free Edition."

So yes, if you're using it for your own home PC, it's free. I thought
that was the context we were discussing?

Dave Hinz

Lane

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
Scratching head.... that doesn't look right.... hmmmmm, let me try
again....
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ebay/...l_problems.htm
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/machine_shop/index.htm

I still get an error "The page cannot be displayed" for both of your links.
What gives?
Lane

Dan Murphy

Jon Elson wrote in news:33507$42392d38$4503e66a
:

If you open a PayPal account, they link it to your checking account. If
someone penetrates your account, they can empty out your checking
account! I know people this has happened to. It is scary.

You don't have to have the PayPal account linked to your checking account.
They want you to do it, and they will keep pestering you to do it but you
don't have to.

Dan

Pete & sheri

I only had to go through a $5 "verification" process"-- to "prove that
me is me".

Pete Stanaitis