R.H.

#274: Pinstriping tool.

Yep. for sure. I used to use one of these years ago for pistriping
lucite sght gauges with lacquer paint.

Thanks, I'll have to do some research on this.

R.H.

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands
for 50
XL would give 40
XLIX would give 49

Oooops. You, of course, are right. My brain was telling me the L was 5
for some reason...

I've been going to a web site that translates to and from roman numerals,
since they are kind of tricky if you don't use them very much.

R.H.

"Marco Milazzo" wrote in message
Hard to tell without seeing the whole piece, but #276 looks like a
universal lens mount for studio cameras. This was a device to mo9unt
any diameter lens. The iris was closed by turning a small knob on the
side.

You might be right, it is just part of a camera, I'll post a photo of the
whole piece in a day or two.

Ron DeBlock

272. Some kind of clamp, but I don't know what for.

273. Lathe dog.

274. Pinstripe painter. Fill the bottle with paint, invert it, and roll
paint on with the wheel. If not for paint, then some other liquid, maybe
adhesive.

275. Thing for throwing clay pigeons when shooting skeet. (Save the
poor, defenseless skeets! ;-)

276. Camera iris.

277. Tee-nut for wood or particle board.

Now, I'll go read the other answers on rec.crafts.metalworking...

-Ron

Patrick Hamlyn

"R.H." wrote:

276 looks like a shutter (to an old camera? film equipment? I dont know)

It's not a shutter, but it is part of a camera.

The shutter is behind the iris. The iris is first opened to the
calculated/selected F-stop, then the shutter opens briefly.

What we're looking at here is the iris.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:31:19 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

From rec.ww

#272 Clamp for attaching to a metal strip
#273 Frame to hold a bearing
#274 Small carbide lamp?
#275 Hand trap for throwing clay pigeons
#276 Camera iris
#277 'Tee' nut for putting threaded holes in plywood, mdf, etc.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Keith Marshall

Do you know of a web site that could verify this one?

No, unfortunately I can't find one quite like that and I must admit that I'm
only speaking from what I've heard others call them. Lathe dogs generally
have a tab that is either bent to go into a slot on a faceplate or straight
to be driven by a bolt mounted on the faceplate. I've always heard the kind
with a fork like the one pictured called grinder or grinding dogs but I
don't know why. I can find examples of grinding dogs with 2 forks on them
but I must plead ignorance on the differences.

"Found in my late Father-in-laws' estate. He had been an engineer at Pratt
&
Whitney Aircraft in Hartford, but this was from his personal shop. He was
tinkerer extraordinaire.

Seems to be an oiler or something, with the small rolling notched wheel
dispensing whatever was in the vial (looks like a striking wheel from a
Zippo, but not used that way here).

The round head screw on the side is for attaching to something that would
go through the hole, which does not have a passage into the nozzle.

That fits with the pinstriper theory. The screw would be to clamp an
adjustable edge guide that you can use to follow an existing stripe or a
contour on the body of a car. Sort of like using a rip fence on a circular
saw. Here's a modern version:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1916&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainC at=503&iSubCat=536&iProductID=1916&itemType=PRODUC T&RS=1&keyword=beugler

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"R.H." wrote in message

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
m...
272 - Window/screen retainer or stop?

Correct.

273 - Lathe/Grinder dog

Do you know of a web site that could verify this one?

274 - Paint striper?

Here is some background on this item, as stated in the email from the
owner:

"Found in my late Father-in-laws' estate. He had been an engineer at Pratt
&
Whitney Aircraft in Hartford, but this was from his personal shop. He was
tinkerer extraordinaire.

Seems to be an oiler or something, with the small rolling notched wheel
dispensing whatever was in the vial (looks like a striking wheel from a
Zippo, but not used that way here).

The round head screw on the side is for attaching to something that would
go through the hole, which does not have a passage into the nozzle.

This fits nicely into the hand, with thumb and finger resting in the
opposing depressions."

275 - Skeet thrower
276 - Camera iris/shutter/aperture?
277 - Tee Nut to put a threaded hole in wood

These three are correct, aperture for 276.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Again -- I'm answering from rec.crafts.metalworking.

272) Hanging clip for whiteboard or the like, fits aluminum rails around room.

273) Forked tail (metal) lathe dog.

274) Rolling paint line applicator.

275) Hand clay pigeon flinger for trap or skeet shooting.

276) Iris diaphragm for camera or for (perhaps) microscope light source
Normally, it would be mounted inside the lens, for a camera, but
there is not enough of the surround to make this clear. With
the rust visible, I suspect the light source instead.

277) "Tee nut" (Brand name) for puting machine threads in wood. It
is driven into a hole from the far side, and the spikes prevent
rotation.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Martin H. Eastburn

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272 looks like a device that one could screw to hold a window closed, I
remember owning or using one similar to that (but covered in a cream
colored paint instead of shiny like that one)
274 looks like its designed to spray something (insect spray? paint?
dont know)
276 looks like a shutter (to an old camera? film equipment? I dont know)
277 looks like cutting blades from something like a garbage disposal or
something.

272 window lock
273 lathe dog
274 pin striper - single size single line. Bottle is for the thick ink.
275 clay pigeon hand thrower - target practice with a shotgun or '45 :-)
276 Simple iris camera lens or a lamp shutter.
277 dry wall screw anchor
266 egg dipper / candle the egg for internal viewing or coloring eggs.
267 acorn nut - from sheet metal - lower quality than solid material.
268 bayonet
270 tin type or a true lantern slide for carbon arc viewing.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

I just wanted to assure you that item 274 is indeed a paint striper as
many have indicated. I have one that I bought long ago for the
exorbitant price of $4.79. I still have the instructions. It is
titled the Master Double and Single Line Paint Striper Model No. 1100
and was manufactured by the Embee Corporation of Springfield, OH. You
are missing several of the brass wheels and spacers that allow
different line widths and double lines.

Mark and Kim Smith

snip

That fits with the pinstriper theory. The screw would be to clamp an
adjustable edge guide that you can use to follow an existing stripe or a
contour on the body of a car. Sort of like using a rip fence on a circular
saw. Here's a modern version:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1916&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainC at=503&iSubCat=536&iProductID=1916&itemType=PRODUC T&RS=1&keyword=beugler

snip

Yup, I was just going to Eastwood myself to get the link. I have a
couple of those Beuglers for pinstriping.
Mark and Kim Smith

snip

BTW, I know what 272 and 277 are, but am afraid to guess on any
of the others, except that 273 looks like a holder of some kind
for something round. Maybe a bipod for a boresight scope or
something.

Cheers!
Rich

Hey, I can get a pic of one of those on a large lathe at work.
R.H.

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Jonathan Wilson wrote:

R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272 window lock
273 lathe dog
274 pin striper - single size single line. Bottle is for the thick ink.
275 clay pigeon hand thrower - target practice with a shotgun or '45 :-)
276 Simple iris camera lens or a lamp shutter.
277 dry wall screw anchor
266 egg dipper / candle the egg for internal viewing or coloring eggs.
267 acorn nut - from sheet metal - lower quality than solid material.
268 bayonet
270 tin type or a true lantern slide for carbon arc viewing.

These are all correct, though I'm still not sure about 266, I have to admit
I hope it doesn't turn out to actually be an egg dipper, also I'm not sure
277 is for drywall.

R.H.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...mID=1916&itemT
ype=PRODUCT&iMainCat=503&iSubCat=536&iProductID=19 16&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&k
eyword=beugler

Thanks for the link and the other info.

R.H.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

From rec.ww

#272 Clamp for attaching to a metal strip

Partial credit for this answer

#273 Frame to hold a bearing
#274 Small carbide lamp?

Neither of these

#275 Hand trap for throwing clay pigeons
#276 Camera iris
#277 'Tee' nut for putting threaded holes in plywood, mdf, etc.

These three are correct.

R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Again -- I'm answering from rec.crafts.metalworking.

272) Hanging clip for whiteboard or the like, fits aluminum rails around

room.

273) Forked tail (metal) lathe dog.

274) Rolling paint line applicator.

275) Hand clay pigeon flinger for trap or skeet shooting.

276) Iris diaphragm for camera or for (perhaps) microscope light source
Normally, it would be mounted inside the lens, for a camera, but
there is not enough of the surround to make this clear. With
the rust visible, I suspect the light source instead.

277) "Tee nut" (Brand name) for puting machine threads in wood. It
is driven into a hole from the far side, and the spikes prevent
rotation.

All correct except for the first, though I guess it could be used for that.

R.H.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just wanted to assure you that item 274 is indeed a paint striper as
many have indicated. I have one that I bought long ago for the
exorbitant price of $4.79. I still have the instructions. It is
titled the Master Double and Single Line Paint Striper Model No. 1100
and was manufactured by the Embee Corporation of Springfield, OH. You
are missing several of the brass wheels and spacers that allow
different line widths and double lines.

Thanks for the information, if anyone didn't see the link someone left on my
site, there is one very similar shown he

http://www.dickblick.com/zz289/08/pr...m=0&ig_id=2776

R.H.

Hey, I can get a pic of one of those on a large lathe at work.

That would be great, I would like to see it.

Scott Lurndal

#272 Window Lock
#273 A clamp-on sight of some sort.
#274 Pinstrip painter?
#277 Tee nut
R.H.

#272 Window Lock
#273 A clamp-on sight of some sort.
#274 Pinstrip painter?
#277 Tee nut

All correct except for 273.

R.H.

"Patrick Hamlyn" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote:

276 looks like a shutter (to an old camera? film equipment? I dont

know)

It's not a shutter, but it is part of a camera.

The shutter is behind the iris. The iris is first opened to the
calculated/selected F-stop, then the shutter opens briefly.

What we're looking at here is the iris.

Correct, except on this old camera part the shutter is in front of the iris.

R.H.

"Marco Milazzo" wrote in message
Hard to tell without seeing the whole piece, but #276 looks like a
universal lens mount for studio cameras. This was a device to mo9unt
any diameter lens. The iris was closed by turning a small knob on the
side.

I put a few photos of the whole piece on the site below, I think it's just
the front part of an old camera:

http://pzphotosan52.blogspot.com/

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

273 - Lathe/Grinder dog

Do you know of a web site that could verify this one?

http://tinyurl.com/6jjf8
Kinda small, but I suppose you could always call 'em and ask for a
bigger picture.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Jeff

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

"Marco Milazzo" wrote in message
.. .
Hard to tell without seeing the whole piece, but #276 looks like a
universal lens mount for studio cameras. This was a device to mo9unt
any diameter lens. The iris was closed by turning a small knob on the
side.

I put a few photos of the whole piece on the site below, I think it's just
the front part of an old camera:

http://pzphotosan52.blogspot.com/

O.K. A complete shutter assembly, missing only the screw-in
front and rear lens elements.

And the cylinder is specifically for a pneumatic shutter release,
a hose to a rubber bulb squeezed by the operator.

A very slow shutter, too. Speeds of 1/4, 1/2, 1 and 2 seconds,
plus T and B (T=time -- shutter remains open after first actuation of
the squeeze bulb until the second actuation) (B=bulb -- shutter remains
open as long as the bulb is squeezed, so you open the shutter with one
hand, and trip the flashbulb with the other.)

At a guess, the 'I' (Instant?) setting is simply the shortest
time that the shutter is mechanically capable of -- maybe 1/8 second or
so.

I think that the cylinder on the otherside is a dashpot -- a
piston moving in a closed cylinder with a calibrated leak -- useful for
slow mechanical timing.

Enjoy,
DoN.

P.S. Again, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Martin H. Eastburn

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272 window lock
273 lathe dog
274 pin striper - single size single line. Bottle is for the thick ink.
275 clay pigeon hand thrower - target practice with a shotgun or '45 :-)
276 Simple iris camera lens or a lamp shutter.
277 dry wall screw anchor
266 egg dipper / candle the egg for internal viewing or coloring eggs.
267 acorn nut - from sheet metal - lower quality than solid material.
268 bayonet
270 tin type or a true lantern slide for carbon arc viewing.

These are all correct, though I'm still not sure about 266, I have to admit
I hope it doesn't turn out to actually be an egg dipper, also I'm not sure
277 is for drywall.

277 isn't drywall - it is the backside of a wood piece that is bolted to something.

The Iris could be a shutter for a color spot or bright lamp - or carbon arc lamp to shut
down the volume of light to the subject. The real question is how tough is the item -
is it very thin - then camera - if reasonable thick then lamp or a projector (carbon lamp)
limiter. or on/off switch.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Martin H. Eastburn

"R.H." wrote in message

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

I have the model type - a professional hand holder - less ink - but in a box
the size of a check replacements box - and another one full of various heads.

I planned to pinstripe a model I am doing but got interrupted by excessive work
at work....

The heads seem to be the same or like that on the auto one - massive ink supply.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life

Martin H. Eastburn

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

snip

That fits with the pinstriper theory. The screw would be to clamp an
adjustable edge guide that you can use to follow an existing stripe or
a contour on the body of a car. Sort of like using a rip fence on a
circular saw. Here's a modern version:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1916&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainC at=503&iSubCat=536&iProductID=1916&itemType=PRODUC T&RS=1&keyword=beugler

snip

Yup, I was just going to Eastwood myself to get the link. I have a
couple of those Beuglers for pinstriping.

http://www.beugler.com/high.html that is the one I have - nice movie and general site.

I'll use it in book binding and other little tasks.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Badger

Andy Dingley wrote:
Iris, not shutter. It's adjustable to control the aperture, not open &
shut to control exposure. An iris like this can't be fully closed,
for one thing.

Oh how I wish the researchers at work would realise that and stop
wrecking them on the furnaces....
Rich Grise

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:31:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Does anyone know why #275 has all that Rube Goldberg clockwork
and stuff? Why is it so complicated? (Yes, I know what it is,
that's been answered a lot. :-) )

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Grise

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 04:51:28 -0500, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

snip

BTW, I know what 272 and 277 are, but am afraid to guess on any
of the others, except that 273 looks like a holder of some kind
for something round. Maybe a bipod for a boresight scope or
something.

Cheers!
Rich

Hey, I can get a pic of one of those on a large lathe at work.

There's also one on one of the lathes where I work. But in the
pic #275, the points didn't look like wheels to me, and it doesn't
fasten down.

http://www.neodruid.net/images/lathe_thing_1.jpg
http://www.neodruid.net/images/lathe_thing_2.jpg

The background is all dark, because the shop is shut down for the night.

But you can see the source of my confusion! :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:51:59 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:21:21 -0600, DanG wrote:

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands
for 50
XL would give 40
XLIX would give 49

But inquiring minds would like to know if
IL would work?

There are those who say that it's bad form to subtract anything
but the next lower "denomination" from a given symbol, i.e.,
XL, 40 plus IX, 9, gives 49. But you can't do VL for 45 or IL for
49. I think XC works for 90, but not IC for 99 or VC for 95.

I've always wanted to see a step by step example of how a long division
problem with a couple of "not too easy" numbers is solved in the Roman
numeral system. Can someone show me/us one?

When I was a kid, there was a series of books either by Time-Life or
Bell Labs/Disney or something, with all kinds of interesting scientific
stuff. In the volume on numbers, there's a cartoon of a guy trying to
do long division in Roman numerals. ISTR that after filling up a whole
page (like filling up a whole blackboard in a comic strip) the guy
gives up. :-)

The ancient Hebrew numeral system is even simpler as only addition is
needed to determine the full value, there's no subtraction of lower
denominations located to the left of higher ones. If interested, see:

http://www.answers.com/topic/hebrew-numerals

Jeff

Rich Grise

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:55:54 +0000, R.H. wrote:

"Jon Haugsand" wrote in message
* R. H.
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

277 One of three parts of a nut bolt system to fasten something on a
plaster wall or whatever this is called in English.

I don't think that there is three parts to this one, but it's something
similar for fastening.

It is definitely not a wall anchor. (although it could be used for one if
put into place before assembling the wall! ;-) )

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

"R.H." wrote:

276 looks like a shutter (to an old camera? film equipment? I dont

know)

It's not a shutter, but it is part of a camera.

The shutter is behind the iris. The iris is first opened to the
calculated/selected F-stop, then the shutter opens briefly.

What we're looking at here is the iris.

Correct, except on this old camera part the shutter is in front of the iris.

If this is this one:
http://pzphotosan52.blogspot.com/
then it's clearly a shutter, since they say so right on the page.

The "T" is "Time", the "B" is "Bulb", I don't know what the "I"
is (maybe instant?), then 1/4, 1/2, 1 and 2 have to be shutter
speeds. And the cylinder on the right for the remote bulb. The
little pointer on the bottom is proabably equivalent to F stop.

Oh! I see - in the original photo, all we saw was the iris, in
the back view. On my monitor, all I see for the original is black.
Also, in the back view, you can see that that lower pointer is
coupled to it. So the assembly is both the shutter and the iris.

Cheers!
Rich

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 04:51:28 -0500, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

[ ... ]

Hey, I can get a pic of one of those on a large lathe at work.

There's also one on one of the lathes where I work. But in the
pic #275, the points didn't look like wheels to me, and it doesn't
fasten down.

http://www.neodruid.net/images/lathe_thing_1.jpg
http://www.neodruid.net/images/lathe_thing_2.jpg

The background is all dark, because the shop is shut down for the night.

But you can see the source of my confusion! :-)

Yep! What you photographed is a steady rest, not a lathe dog.
It is intended to have telescoping arms extend out of the three arms
shown at 120 degree intervals. The knobs on the end of the arms extend
the inner ones to contact the workpiece and support it on center as it
rotates.

The lathe dog shown in the puzzle clamps onto the workpiece with
the square-headed screw, and a pin from the faceplate fits between the
two legs to rotate the workpiece with the spindle while it is supported
between centers.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564