DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 04:51:28 -0500, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

[ ... ]

Hey, I can get a pic of one of those on a large lathe at work.

There's also one on one of the lathes where I work. But in the
pic #275, the points didn't look like wheels to me, and it doesn't
fasten down.

http://www.neodruid.net/images/lathe_thing_1.jpg
http://www.neodruid.net/images/lathe_thing_2.jpg

The background is all dark, because the shop is shut down for the night.

But you can see the source of my confusion! :-)

Yep! What you photographed is a steady rest, not a lathe dog.
It is intended to have telescoping arms extend out of the three arms
shown at 120 degree intervals. The knobs on the end of the arms extend
the inner ones to contact the workpiece and support it on center as it
rotates.

The lathe dog shown in the puzzle clamps onto the workpiece with
the square-headed screw, and a pin from the faceplate fits between the
two legs to rotate the workpiece with the spindle while it is supported
between centers.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564