R.H.

No, unfortunately I can't find one quite like that and I must admit that

I'm
only speaking from what I've heard others call them. Lathe dogs generally
have a tab that is either bent to go into a slot on a faceplate or

straight
to be driven by a bolt mounted on the faceplate. I've always heard the

kind
with a fork like the one pictured called grinder or grinding dogs but I
don't know why. I can find examples of grinding dogs with 2 forks on them
but I must plead ignorance on the differences.

"Found in my late Father-in-laws' estate. He had been an engineer at

Pratt
&
Whitney Aircraft in Hartford, but this was from his personal shop. He

was
tinkerer extraordinaire.

Seems to be an oiler or something, with the small rolling notched wheel
dispensing whatever was in the vial (looks like a striking wheel from a
Zippo, but not used that way here).

The round head screw on the side is for attaching to something that

would
go through the hole, which does not have a passage into the nozzle.

That fits with the pinstriper theory. The screw would be to clamp an
adjustable edge guide that you can use to follow an existing stripe or a
contour on the body of a car. Sort of like using a rip fence on a

circular
saw. Here's a modern version:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...mID=1916&itemT
ype=PRODUCT&iMainCat=503&iSubCat=536&iProductID=19 16&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&k
eyword=beugler

Thanks for the link and the other info.