Andy Asberry

Default OT - 1919 Illinois brand tractor

I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.
RoyJ

I usually have good luck over on
http://www.antiquetractors.com/

I did find this on a discussion board over there
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit....talk&th=323054

"There are a lot of tractors with low production numbers that only have
1 or 2 examples known to exist. The ILLINOIS tractor built by the
Bloomington Silo Co., Only 2 known to exist."

Andy Asberry wrote:
I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on

several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand

tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

UNREAL !!!!!

I spent my WHOLE childhood in, around, and on top of an operating 1920
Illinois.
It was My grandfathers, and he was just plain crazy over steam power.
Sawing, Pulling Stumps, Threshing........

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would

think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.

I think you DO have a very RARE object. from what my Grandad always
said, there were only 3 known tractors in the states. Of course,
stranger things have turned up, but I know it is the ONLY one I EVER
saw ANYWHERE !

The Engine was sold after my grandfather passed on. It is located in
Chilton Wisconsin, about 25 miles from me. I get to see (and Smell...
Ohhh the smell ! Oil, Grease, Hot Steam ... COAL ! ) it every year at
the Chilton Steam Show.

If you do not get any takers, I would search the owner down for you.
I will tell you that if I had that, I would be VERY Tempted to make a
copy. I have NEVER seen literature for one either.

Boy, you have something really neat there !

Thanks,
Chris L

Erik Litchy

Andy Asberry wrote:
I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.

i live in bloomington and never heard of sutch a place.

Tom

Andy Asberry wrote:

I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.

Is from the Illinois Silo & Tractor Co.?
Or from the Illinois Tractor Co.?

Tom
yourname

Is from the Illinois Silo & Tractor Co.?
Or from the Illinois Tractor Co.?

Tom

man talk about the obsure of the obscure, this NG has it!

Andy Asberry

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:13:47 GMT, Andy Asberry
wrote:

I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.

This was a 4 cylinder gasoline flathead. There are 2 pairs of bolt on
cylinders. Two heads. The manual is bound. I hesitate to break the
spine enough to scan all the pages. I appreciate the info. Here are
three pages.

http://www.asberry.net/IllinoisTrac1.htm
http://www.asberry.net/IllinoisTrac2.htm
http://www.asberry.net/IllinoisTr4ac3.htm

I keep everything related to this farm. I have 1880's farm ledgers. My
great grandfather kept track of everything. Like how many eggs the
chickens layed; how many were eaten, sold or hatched. I can tell you
what corn and oats were bringing in 1882. A spool of thread was $.01
in 1910. Kind of puts things in perspective.

Did I mention there is a 1909 Hupmobile buried in a wash in the back
pasture?
Andy Asberry

On 8 Feb 2005 16:08:28 -0800, wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:
[...]

Chris, I would appreciate communication from the owner of your old
tractor. This manual is for a gas tractor.

Andy Asberry

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:25:37 GMT, Erik Litchy
wrote:

i live in bloomington and never heard of sutch a place.

That may be 'cause you ain't lived there long enough. With only two
known to exist, I suspect they weren't around long.

If you could find the time to check old city directories at the
library, I would really appreciate it. They might shed a little more
light on this. The Illinois Tractor Co. might have even placed an ad
in the directory.

No way, other than the Internet, could 2 tractors and one manual get
together 86 years later. Oh, and a few guys just setting around
jawing. A small thing but it is history.

Andy Asberry

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:22:34 -0800, Tom wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:

I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.

Is from the Illinois Silo & Tractor Co.?
Or from the Illinois Tractor Co.?

Tom

Illinois Tractor Company.
Rick Cook

wrote:

i live in bloomington and never heard of sutch a place.

That may be 'cause you ain't lived there long enough. With only two
known to exist, I suspect they weren't around long.

If you could find the time to check old city directories at the
library, I would really appreciate it. They might shed a little more
light on this. The Illinois Tractor Co. might have even placed an ad
in the directory.

No way, other than the Internet, could 2 tractors and one manual get
together 86 years later. Oh, and a few guys just setting around
jawing. A small thing but it is history.

Another example of the potential of the Internet for finding information
and bringing people together.

--RC

Andy Asberry wrote:

Chris, I would appreciate communication from the owner of your old
tractor. This manual is for a gas tractor.

Ahwwww !!! Wrong Tractor !

The Illinois I am familiar with is a Traction Engine ! (steam)

Who would have thought their were both steam AND internal combustion
tractors called Illinois ?

This is a new one on me too..... I would have thought that having an
Illinois traction background that I would have heard about a gas
tractor if one existed...Never did.

None the less, That is a nice piece of literature. Now I am going to
have to ask a few aquaintances if they know anything about them. I do
have a few "collector" friends.

I've managed to keep my "collection" down to just two hit and miss
motors and a gaggle of small engines...

If I hear anything, I will certainly make contact on this list.

Interesting......

Chris L

wws

Andy Asberry wrote:
I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.

I found one reference.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/ar.../artint208.htm

"Illinois 18-30"
Andy Asberry

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:02:26 -0600, wws wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:
I've Googled and surfed with no success. I've left messages on several
forums. No luck.

I have an owner's manual and parts list for an Illinois brand tractor.
The copyright date is 1919. They were made in Bloomington, Illinois.

Anybody ever hear of one? Recommendations for more info? I would think
a mint manual with the warranty registration card still inside would
be more scarce than a tractor. If there is a tractor out there, I've
got your manual.

I found one reference.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/ar.../artint208.htm

"Illinois 18-30"

Good job! You guys are evidently better at searching than me. By the
way, someone told me the 18 was drawbar hp and the 30 was belt pulley
hp. If true, those huge gearboxes soak up a lot of power.

In keeping with this group, it also had change gears. Under a cover on
the left side of the transmission were two meshed gears on splined
shafts. One of 23 teeth and one of 27 teeth. Reversing the position of
these gears changed the top speed from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 mph.