Aaron P. Fagan

Default Belt Buckle Handcuff Keys: NEW UPDATE!

Hey Guys,

Many of you will remember my posts. I had a descent response of interest,
however, nothing came up that was more then satisfactory for my needs. Thus,
I have decided to take it upon myself to do it myself, and build these props
myself.

Here is my question, some of the props i plan to fabricate, I need to make
using a butane/propane tourch, and some kind of solder like metal, that will
hold extremely well.

My question is, what should I use, a propate or butane tourch? Also, what
recomendation do you folks have on the type of solder style metal to use,
that will hold through repeated, and perhaps even underwater use?

Thanks,
Aaron P. Fagan
http://www.escapology1.com

Depending on your design, I would use a propane torch and silver
brazing.

Dan

Don Foreman

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 04:27:15 GMT, "Aaron P. Fagan"
wrote:

Hey Guys,

Many of you will remember my posts. I had a descent response of interest,
however, nothing came up that was more then satisfactory for my needs. Thus,
I have decided to take it upon myself to do it myself, and build these props
myself.

Here is my question, some of the props i plan to fabricate, I need to make
using a butane/propane tourch, and some kind of solder like metal, that will
hold extremely well.

My question is, what should I use, a propate or butane tourch? Also, what
recomendation do you folks have on the type of solder style metal to use,
that will hold through repeated, and perhaps even underwater use?

Solder doesn't really join metal; it's an illusion.

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:14:55 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:

Solder doesn't really join metal; it's an illusion.

Really? Damn, I guess that means none of our electronics work.

Don Foreman

On 7 Feb 2005 20:16:44 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:14:55 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:

Solder doesn't really join metal; it's an illusion.

Really? Damn, I guess that means none of our electronics work.

OK, Dave. Maybe I should have said that it works like magic....

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:58:40 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:
On 7 Feb 2005 20:16:44 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:14:55 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:

Solder doesn't really join metal; it's an illusion.

Really? Damn, I guess that means none of our electronics work.

OK, Dave. Maybe I should have said that it works like magic....

Kind of like that magic black smoke inside the chips, then? OK, now
I understand.

Ken Grunke

Aaron P. Fagan wrote:
Hey Guys,

Many of you will remember my posts. I had a descent response of interest,
however, nothing came up that was more then satisfactory for my needs. Thus,
I have decided to take it upon myself to do it myself, and build these props
myself.

Here is my question, some of the props i plan to fabricate, I need to make
using a butane/propane tourch, and some kind of solder like metal, that will
hold extremely well.

My question is, what should I use, a propate or butane tourch? Also, what
recomendation do you folks have on the type of solder style metal to use,
that will hold through repeated, and perhaps even underwater use?

What kind of metal are your parts made from?
If brass or steel, a high-temp silver solder would be good. For small
parts, a propane torch should work, you need to get the joint red-hot.
You can also use 1/16" brass brazing rod. Either way, you need brazing
flux (borax) and a close-fitting joint, well cleaned and degreased
before joining.
If you need more heat, an air/acetylene torch would be good. Presto is
the well-known brand, and you need a single hose and regulator. You can
get a small MC tank (10 cu. in.) for a few dollars, it cost me $13 to
exchange my empty for a full one just the other day.
There are all sorts of low-temp solders, but they may not be reliable
enough. I'd stay away from electrical and plumbing solders, they are
best used as intended.

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl