Jason Marshall

Default Need help making or sourcing hay tarp tie-downs.

You're all a bunch of smart guys, maybe you can help a poor Canadian
hay farmer find or make about 1000 cinching tie-downs similar to this:
http://www.inlandtarp.com/Super%20Cinch%20Tie-Down.htm

I have tried many methods of securing tarps but nothing has worked yet.
Last years method was using strong rubber straps made by slicing tire
tubes radially. It looked promising but some of the tarps are in shreds
now. For metalworking content, I used my plasma cutter to slice rings
from old coil-spring type harrow teeth and used them to secure the strap
to the bale. That part worked quite well. Tying ropes is not really an
option as the straps need to be tightened occasionally and the tying
would take place on a 15' ladder and there are a LOT of straps on each tarp.
I have a pretty well-equipped shop but lack a lathe or milling machine.
No injection-molding equipment either. I do have a good sized sheet
of 3/8" thick lexan which may be useful. I used it to make skid shoes
for my mower/conditioner. They worked but lasted less than a season. I'm
back to steel shoes only this time they are cut from used discs from a
Kello 210 breaking discer. I love my plasma cutter. After 2000 acres
there's no visible wear on them.

Any comments on how such little cinching critters may be fabricated
would be very welcome, I'm all out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Marshall Seed & Forage
Jason Marshall

Jason Marshall wrote:
[...]

They put me in mind of some guy rope tighteners my dad made up for a
"tent"(more of a summer lean-to). These consisted of a 6" length of
large dowel with a rope-sized hole drilled cross-wise on each end. End
of the rope went through one end and was knotted so it didn't go back
through. The rope was then looped through the grommet on the canvas
and then went through the other hole and was tied to a stake. Pull
down to tighten. I think he put some sort of finish on them, they
stood up to a lot of summers of Iowa rain and sun. Dowel was
broomstick-sized, probably salvaged. I imagine you could even slice 1"
or so square lengths out of hardwood and drill holes across the grain
if no dowels handy. PVC pipe maybe? They were cheap and they worked,
lasted longer than the rope did. FWIW

Stan

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:05:59 -0600, the inscrutable Jason Marshall
spake:

You're all a bunch of smart guys, maybe you can help a poor Canadian
hay farmer find or make about 1000 cinching tie-downs similar to this:
http://www.inlandtarp.com/Super%20Cinch%20Tie-Down.htm

I have tried many methods of securing tarps but nothing has worked yet.
Last years method was using strong rubber straps made by slicing tire
tubes radially. It looked promising but some of the tarps are in shreds
now. For metalworking content, I used my plasma cutter to slice rings
from old coil-spring type harrow teeth and used them to secure the strap
to the bale. That part worked quite well. Tying ropes is not really an
option as the straps need to be tightened occasionally and the tying
would take place on a 15' ladder and there are a LOT of straps on each tarp.

Ladder? You need a self-propelled painter's

I have a pretty well-equipped shop but lack a lathe or milling machine.
No injection-molding equipment either. I do have a good sized sheet
of 3/8" thick lexan which may be useful. I used it to make skid shoes
for my mower/conditioner. They worked but lasted less than a season. I'm
back to steel shoes only this time they are cut from used discs from a
Kello 210 breaking discer. I love my plasma cutter. After 2000 acres
there's no visible wear on them.

Yeah, hardened steel does have a tendency to outlast plastic in
abrasive environments, doesn't it?

Any comments on how such little cinching critters may be fabricated
would be very welcome, I'm all out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Marshall Seed & Forage
Jason Marshall

Check with Farm Show Magazine. Their readers write in with pictures
and all sorts of good ideas. Maybe they covered this. The mag also
sells a CD with all their ideas in it which will be one of the first
accessories I get once I buy a plasma cutter and welder or two.
http://www.farmshow.com/
http://www.farmshow.com/store/cdrom.asp

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com

Ted Edwards

Jason Marshall wrote:

You're all a bunch of smart guys, maybe you can help a poor Canadian
hay farmer find or make about 1000 cinching tie-downs similar to this:
http://www.inlandtarp.com/Super%20Cinch%20Tie-Down.htm

I have tried many methods of securing tarps but nothing has worked yet.

I have tried dozens of mechanical gadgets over the years and more than a
few elastic based systems. Nowadays I simply use a piece of rope
through or around something (gromet or tie-down loop on trailer or tree
or ...) and secured back on itself with a Midshipman's hitch or on
critical and/or very slippery ropes, two of them separated by a few
inches. (See "Ashley's Book of Knots", shown as knot number 1027, 1855
and 1993.) e-mail me (remove the obvious) if you want me to send you a
photo of it in use. A major advantage of this knot is that it can be
tied in a rope under tension without giving up any slack. I have been
using this for many uses over the last thirty or forty years and have
yet have it fail. It must be kept under tension, though.

Ted

Martin H. Eastburn

Ted Edwards wrote:

Jason Marshall wrote:

[...]

The book that Ted mentioned - Fantastic book - I have one and it is great.
As I run into new knots, I'll be appending the book.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Bob Engelhardt

Ted Edwards wrote:
(See "Ashley's Book of Knots", ...

Make that "Ashley Book of Knots". I found a used copy for $65, but I
think that I'll pass. Bob
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:50:20 -0500, the inscrutable Bob Engelhardt
spake:

Ted Edwards wrote:
(See "Ashley's Book of Knots", ...

Make that "Ashley Book of Knots". I found a used copy for $65, but I
think that I'll pass. Bob

I borrowed one from my library last Friday for free; that and another
one on fishing knots and nets. I was curious about the netting knot.

The Titanic. The Hindenburg. + http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design

Ed Huntress

Ted Edwards wrote:
(See "Ashley's Book of Knots", ...

Make that "Ashley Book of Knots". I found a used copy for $65, but I
think that I'll pass. Bob

I borrowed one from my library last Friday for free; that and another
one on fishing knots and nets. I was curious about the netting knot.

I can do those in my sleep. The year I graduated from high school I borrowed
my uncle's net shuttles and made a 24' seine out of nylon net line. It took
me most of the summer. g

It was for netting mullet in Florida, for bait. The return on my effort was
maybe...um....20 cents/hour...

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:45:20 -0500, the inscrutable "Ed Huntress"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I borrowed one from my library last Friday for free; that and another
one on fishing knots and nets. I was curious about the netting knot.

I can do those in my sleep. The year I graduated from high school I borrowed
my uncle's net shuttles and made a 24' seine out of nylon net line. It took
me most of the summer. g

Right, that struck me as I was reading that book. I may still make a
shuttle and play around with netting, just for kicks. It could be a
handy survival skill some day. Y'know, when herds of commies come
rushing across my lawn.

It was for netting mullet in Florida, for bait. The return on my effort was
maybe...um....20 cents/hour...

Got a raise, eh? Mullet is a fish that reminds me of crappie. I've
never tasted one and really don't think I want to.

The Titanic. The Hindenburg. + http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design

Gunner

Ted Edwards wrote:
(See "Ashley's Book of Knots", ...

Make that "Ashley Book of Knots". I found a used copy for $65, but I
think that I'll pass. Bob

I borrowed one from my library last Friday for free; that and another
one on fishing knots and nets. I was curious about the netting knot.

The knot book has been available on the net in PDF format for some
time. Ill see where my copy is on the server.

Gunner

================================================= ========
The Titanic. The Hindenburg. + http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design
================================================= ========

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Gunner

Ted Edwards wrote:
(See "Ashley's Book of Knots", ...

Make that "Ashley Book of Knots". I found a used copy for $65, but I
think that I'll pass. Bob

I borrowed one from my library last Friday for free; that and another
one on fishing knots and nets. I was curious about the netting knot.

The knot book has been available on the net in PDF format for some
time. Ill see where my copy is on the server.

Gunner

Larry..I emailed you the Gibsons knot book. I know I have the other
one but must be archived.

Gunner

================================================ =========
The Titanic. The Hindenburg. + http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design
================================================ =========

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:38:21 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

The knot book has been available on the net in PDF format for some
time. Ill see where my copy is on the server.

Larry..I emailed you the Gibsons knot book. I know I have the other
one but must be archived.

I received it, thanks.

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Gunner

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:12:15 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:38:21 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

The knot book has been available on the net in PDF format for some
time. Ill see where my copy is on the server.

Larry..I emailed you the Gibsons knot book. I know I have the other
one but must be archived.

I received it, thanks.

Enjoy. Its very handy.

Gunner

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Jason Marshall wrote:
You're all a bunch of smart guys, maybe you can help a poor Canadian
hay farmer find or make about 1000 cinching tie-downs similar to

this:
http://www.inlandtarp.com/Super%20Cinch%20Tie-Down.htm

Would this work for you?:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/Versatackle.html
To tighten, all you have to do is pull and let go. It's self-locking.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:07:59 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:38:21 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

The knot book has been available on the net in PDF format for some
time. Ill see where my copy is on the server.

Larry..I emailed you the Gibsons knot book. I know I have the other
one but must be archived.

I received it, thanks.

Enjoy. Its very handy.

I picked up a cheap copy of "The Marlinespike Sailor" a month ago,
and I found a few good mountaineering knots in a climbing book
from the library last year. It all adds up to handy info.

P.S: I'm almost halfway through UC. Henry's paper "Prohibition's
Ugly Legacy" was just turned in. It just keeps getting better.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development