Jason Marshall

Default Need help making or sourcing hay tarp tie-downs.

You're all a bunch of smart guys, maybe you can help a poor Canadian
hay farmer find or make about 1000 cinching tie-downs similar to this:
http://www.inlandtarp.com/Super%20Cinch%20Tie-Down.htm

I have tried many methods of securing tarps but nothing has worked yet.
Last years method was using strong rubber straps made by slicing tire
tubes radially. It looked promising but some of the tarps are in shreds
now. For metalworking content, I used my plasma cutter to slice rings
from old coil-spring type harrow teeth and used them to secure the strap
to the bale. That part worked quite well. Tying ropes is not really an
option as the straps need to be tightened occasionally and the tying
would take place on a 15' ladder and there are a LOT of straps on each tarp.
I have a pretty well-equipped shop but lack a lathe or milling machine.
No injection-molding equipment either. I do have a good sized sheet
of 3/8" thick lexan which may be useful. I used it to make skid shoes
for my mower/conditioner. They worked but lasted less than a season. I'm
back to steel shoes only this time they are cut from used discs from a
Kello 210 breaking discer. I love my plasma cutter. After 2000 acres
there's no visible wear on them.

Any comments on how such little cinching critters may be fabricated
would be very welcome, I'm all out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Marshall Seed & Forage
Jason Marshall