Martin H. Eastburn

Ted Edwards wrote:

Jason Marshall wrote:

You're all a bunch of smart guys, maybe you can help a poor Canadian
hay farmer find or make about 1000 cinching tie-downs similar to this:
http://www.inlandtarp.com/Super%20Cinch%20Tie-Down.htm

I have tried many methods of securing tarps but nothing has worked yet.

I have tried dozens of mechanical gadgets over the years and more than a
few elastic based systems. Nowadays I simply use a piece of rope
through or around something (gromet or tie-down loop on trailer or tree
or ...) and secured back on itself with a Midshipman's hitch or on
critical and/or very slippery ropes, two of them separated by a few
inches. (See "Ashley's Book of Knots", shown as knot number 1027, 1855
and 1993.) e-mail me (remove the obvious) if you want me to send you a
photo of it in use. A major advantage of this knot is that it can be
tied in a rope under tension without giving up any slack. I have been
using this for many uses over the last thirty or forty years and have
yet have it fail. It must be kept under tension, though.

Ted

The book that Ted mentioned - Fantastic book - I have one and it is great.
As I run into new knots, I'll be appending the book.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer