Grady

Default Homier Mill Question

Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

Dave

"Grady" wrote:
[...]
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that
was holding the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are
calling their drawbar, or did I get shorted?

That's what you get.

larry g

"Grady" wrote in message

There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

Only iffen it don't reach all the way through the spindle.
lg
no neat sig line

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:48:12 -0600, the inscrutable "Grady"
spake:

Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

What'd they nail you for the shipping, Grady?

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Grady

From Homier to Oklahoma City was $58.35 on overnite truck lines. I saved a
little bit by picking it up at their dock. It was actually cheaper than I
thought it was going to be. The UPS on my lathe from Cummins (102 pounds)
was $53.62. The mill shipping weight was 150 pounds. It was even strapped to
pallet.

Grady

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:48:12 -0600, the inscrutable "Grady"
spake:

Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not
included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

What'd they nail you for the shipping, Grady?

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

F. George McDuffee

You might want to check with your local fastener supplier. Our
Emco mill came with a metric drawbar, and the boring head I
bought had a 3/8X16 thread in the #2 MT tang. I was able to get
a made in USA SHCS which made a perfect drawbar for about 8$.
This was a "semi-special" which took a few days to get. Worked
*MUCH* better than the allthread and nut I was using, especially
when it came time to remove the head.

Metric SHCS in the correct size is also available if we ever need
a replacement.

GmcD

"Grady" wrote in message
Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not

included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

Ryan and Diana Reid

In my shop I use my bridgeport to make all kinds of parts including
parts for other tools, parts for my race cars, etc.

What are you guys making on the mini mills?

Ryan

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:48:12 -0600, "Grady" wrote:

Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

Terry Mayhugh

You were much luckier than me. I ordered their band roller back in October -
paid $99 for it and some $45 shipping. Looked like a good deal even with the
steep shipping charges. When it arrived it was missing several parts -
actually everything that wasn't bolted securely to the main body. The
packaging was a bad joke. Homier blamed it on poor handling by FedEx and had
it picked up and sent me out another. When the replacement arrived it was
pretty much the same story but the replacement was only missing the top
roller and an end bearing. I have been regularly corresponding with their
customer service ever since about replacing the missing parts but ETA is now
end of February. They claim to have had no more in stock since shipping mine
even though I have noticed Homier selling them from their store on Ebay.
These people seem to do much better when selling off the back of a truck.

"Grady" wrote in message
Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not

included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

Greybeard

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:22:31 GMT, Ryan and Diana Reid
wrote:

In my shop I use my bridgeport to make all kinds of parts including
parts for other tools, parts for my race cars, etc.

What are you guys making on the mini mills?

Ryan

Mostly small stuff, and it's handy when I've got something else set up
in my vertical. Not too bad if you take your time and don't try to
crowd it much.

But then, crowding a 1/8" end mill probably isn't a good idea on any
machine.

Greybeard
Grady

My first preference is always to buy when I can see something, even if it
means paying a little more. I now tend to inspect medium to large pieces
before leaving a store. I read a story of a guy that bought a 19 flat panel
lcd monitor from Best Buy, like $750 bucks. It appeared to be a factory
sealed carton. Got it home, and opened it, and there was a board duct taped
to a brick. Took it back, and they had the attitude that we dont know that
you did not take it home and do this yourself. Last story I heard he did not
get any relief, and was out the money. So, I learned from his problem.

"Grady" wrote in message
Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier
lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not

included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was
holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their
drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:35:29 -0600, the inscrutable "Grady"
spake:

From Homier to Oklahoma City was $58.35 on overnite truck lines. I saved a
little bit by picking it up at their dock. It was actually cheaper than I
thought it was going to be. The UPS on my lathe from Cummins (102 pounds)
was $53.62. The mill shipping weight was 150 pounds. It was even strapped to
pallet.

It's $111.52 to Oregon, which puts it more expensive than the HF
equivalent.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Howard R Garner

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:48:12 -0600, "Grady" wrote:

Just got my mill today! Picked it up at the freight dock, brought it home
and uncrated it. First, I must say, it was packaged extremely well. I was
very impressed. Packaging was 10 times better than the way my Homier lathe
was packaged. Anway, what I am used to seeing as a drawbar was not included.
There was a piece of threaded rod with a nut and a washer that was holding
the taper and drill chuck in. Is this what they are calling their drawbar,
or did I get shorted?

You got the standard item from Homier.
Check
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1638
for a onepiece replacement.

Great little mill for those small jobs, being a model maker, that is all
I use mine for.

Howard Garner

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:12:58 -0600, the inscrutable "Grady"
spake:

Were you pricing delivered to your home or picked up at the freight
terminal?

Good question. I forgot. Let's see...

www.homier.com
ESTIMATED SHIPPING
OVERNITE to Zip Code 97526 $111.21
*This is a single item estimate only. Actual charges may vary
depending on final destination and combined shipping. Multiple items
may be shipped in combination to reduce shipping charges.

I'm guessing that Overnite is a company, not a service. g
And, of course, the 800 number is only good M-F, 8am-4pm so
I can't check it right now, while I'm thinking about it.

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----