Bernd

Default OT - 50Cal. Rifle

I seen a bit on 60 Minutes on Sunday night here on the east coast that
Arnie wants to ban the purchase of the 50 Cal gun. Anybody else see this
segment? (Metal content - the rifle is made of metal)

Bernd

Yes, saw it. More of the same old stuff. Ban the legal ownership so
only the criminals will be able to own them.

Paul in Redmond, Oregon

Gunner

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:16:34 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

I seen a bit on 60 Minutes on Sunday night here on the east coast that
Arnie wants to ban the purchase of the 50 Cal gun. Anybody else see this
segment? (Metal content - the rifle is made of metal)

Bernd

The California ban went into effect Jan 1 of this year. All current
..50s must be registered.

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place. Since there have been NO incidents
anywhere in the US that Im aware of with these firearms, the only need
to address them was that of the Left to once again make the public
think the Left was doing something For the public, rather than its
usual To the public.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Bernd

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place. Since there have been NO incidents
anywhere in the US that Im aware of with these firearms, the only need
to address them was that of the Left to once again make the public
think the Left was doing something For the public, rather than its
usual To the public.

Gunner

Gunner,

Are you saying Arnei is a Lefty? I thought he was Right.

The guy that manufactures them said the same thing that criminals pay no
attention to the law. The guy that opposes the ownership of the rifle
said something to the effect of terrorist getting hold of one of these
and shooting down planes. It was stated that the only time that would be
possible was during take off or landing. The guy that manufactures them
was very good in defending the right to own one of these. I was
impressed with the fire power that thing has. They showed firing it a
steal targets. Boy would it be fun to own one of them.

Bernd

Bernd

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least
they should be banned from concealed carry.

I know your kidding there Tom. It was mentioned that it would be hard to
conceal and rob a bank with it.

Bernd

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:22:14 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least they
should be banned from concealed carry.

OK, well _that_ I guess I could agree with.

Tim Wescott

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:16:34 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

I seen a bit on 60 Minutes on Sunday night here on the east coast that
Arnie wants to ban the purchase of the 50 Cal gun. Anybody else see this
segment? (Metal content - the rifle is made of metal)

Bernd

The California ban went into effect Jan 1 of this year. All current
.50s must be registered.

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place. Since there have been NO incidents
anywhere in the US that Im aware of with these firearms, the only need
to address them was that of the Left to once again make the public
think the Left was doing something For the public, rather than its
usual To the public.

Gunner

There was a close call in Beaverton, where a collector of WWII firearms
went around the bend (or a guy who was around the bend started
collecting). Based on some ranting comments that he had made to
acquaintances the cops waited until he was out of the house to raid --
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Not that they should be banned, IMHO.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:28:24 -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place.

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Did he have a class-3 license, or was this an illegally-owned
machine gun? Or, was it something that looks like a machine gun?

Not that they should be banned, IMHO.

Sad thing is, the press tends to not bother to make or report
on these distinctions.

Tim Wescott

Gunner wrote:

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place.

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Did he have a class-3 license, or was this an illegally-owned
machine gun? Or, was it something that looks like a machine gun?

Not that they should be banned, IMHO.

Sad thing is, the press tends to not bother to make or report
on these distinctions.

I don't know -- but he was defending his dope plants from the "new world
order", if that can be considered a mitigating circumstance .

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Charles A. Sherwood

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

cs
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:02:23 GMT, "Bernd" calmly
ranted:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least
they should be banned from concealed carry.

I know your kidding there Tom. It was mentioned that it would be hard to
conceal and rob a bank with it.

Wouldn't you want an Arnie Portable Minigun (think Predator movie)
for that kind of thing?

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming

Gunner

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:01:01 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place. Since there have been NO incidents
anywhere in the US that Im aware of with these firearms, the only need
to address them was that of the Left to once again make the public
think the Left was doing something For the public, rather than its
usual To the public.

Gunner

Gunner,

Are you saying Arnei is a Lefty? I thought he was Right.

Arnei is a Fiscal Conservative who is just a smidge left of center.
Pretty close to centrist. However..he is also a pragmatist and a
practical fellow. He knew that signing the ban would make him look
like a Prince to the Left, but would only truely alienate a few
individuals. Much like Bush in fact. Both are intent on getting the
job done, and keep the masses happy when it doesnt interfere with the
job. Being a Fiscal Conservative in the Entitlement State has got to
be a rough job, so he needs all the brownie points he can get when
axing away at the Lefts excessive spending.

While I detest what he did, I understand why he did it. It makes his
position that much more effective when dealing with the spit Left.

The guy that manufactures them said the same thing that criminals pay no
attention to the law. The guy that opposes the ownership of the rifle
said something to the effect of terrorist getting hold of one of these
and shooting down planes. It was stated that the only time that would be
possible was during take off or landing. The guy that manufactures them
was very good in defending the right to own one of these. I was
impressed with the fire power that thing has. They showed firing it a
steal targets. Boy would it be fun to own one of them.

Bernd

They are a kick in the ass to shoot. Lots of fun and not all that
expensive to shoot. About $2 or a bit less per shot. Cheaper than a
lot of hunting ammunition.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Tim Wescott

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

cs

My mistake -- the newspaper only describes it as an "anti-aircraft gun".

If I were _behind_ an "anti-aircraft gun" I hope that it would "mow" --
but then I don't think any WWII anti-aircraft anything could fit into
your average living room so chances are the reporter knew slightly less
than I do about guns.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Ian Stirling

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

Well, if you're shooting into a thick crowd, you're going to mow a few
down with even one round, as it'll go through several people without
really slowing down.
Ed Huntress

"Bernd" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least
they should be banned from concealed carry.

I know your kidding there Tom. It was mentioned that it would be hard to
conceal and rob a bank with it.

HAHAHahahahahoho....there's the understatement of the year. g

It's one of 'dem evil SNIPER rifles, Bernd. It can really reach and out and
touch someone, about a mile away.

Now that they're outlawed, that will keep all of the sniper/terrorists from
buying them, of course. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

B.B.

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:02:23 GMT, "Bernd" calmly
ranted:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least
they should be banned from concealed carry.

I know your kidding there Tom. It was mentioned that it would be hard to
conceal and rob a bank with it.

Wouldn't you want an Arnie Portable Minigun (think Predator movie)
for that kind of thing?

Hold on, I thought the minigun was a Gov. Jessie Ventura accessory.
Sadly, it seems that the predator himself (or the guy in the costume)
is deceased, so he can never be governor. Would have kicked some ass in
a place like..umm, Ohio? Also played 'Harry' in Harry and the
Hendersons. Poncho would have made a good governor too...
Ahh! Noo! Brain too full of useless crap!

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
DE

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:02:23 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least
they should be banned from concealed carry.

I know your kidding there Tom. It was mentioned that it would be hard to
conceal and rob a bank with it.

Reminds me of the movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" I think a
20mm used in that one.

Also in a large armored car heist in Canada
a 20mm in the back of a van pulled infront of the armored car, the
just brandished it by opening the rear door and got away with
millions.

DE

Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner wrote:

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place.

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Did he have a class-3 license, or was this an illegally-owned
machine gun? Or, was it something that looks like a machine gun?

Not that they should be banned, IMHO.

Sad thing is, the press tends to not bother to make or report
on these distinctions.

And the statement " ready to mow down everyone on the street" Is that persons
thought and not a known fact. Would you have it pointed at your bed or chair ?
Or the guy that has been ripping off cars in the neighborhood or breaking in and
beating old people down and stealing money and food.

A stick in the hand isn't a deadly weapon unless it is used in that mode. Otherwise
we have to cut down all of the trees.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Gunner

On 11 Jan 2005 00:32:02 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

Well, if you're shooting into a thick crowd, you're going to mow a few
down with even one round, as it'll go through several people without
really slowing down.

So will just about any deer rifle bullet.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Bob

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

BAR - Browning Automatic Rifle - doesn't sound like a bolt action to me.
550 rounds per minute.

http://www.sproe.com/b/bar.html
http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/browning.htm

Bob

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
m...
snip------
A stick in the hand isn't a deadly weapon unless it is used in that mode.

Otherwise
we have to cut down all of the trees.

Martin

Yep!

Harold

Gunner

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Every man is a potential rapist. Should we all be emasculated?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Martin H. Eastburn

Bob wrote:

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

BAR - Browning Automatic Rifle - doesn't sound like a bolt action to me.
550 rounds per minute.

http://www.sproe.com/b/bar.html
http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/browning.htm

Bob

When they are owned by the Government - note I didn't say military.
People can only have single shot and semi-automatic type - modified.

Gosh been the law longer than the Bar was invented.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Ron Moore

NOT a .50 cal, though. Not a tripod mounted device, either. Bipod, yes.
Barrett makes .50's in single, bolt action and semi auto. A tripod mounted
..50 would probably be an M2HB, also called a Ma Deuce. Been in use by the
military for about 80 years now. Now THAT's a gun!
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Bob" wrote in message

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

BAR - Browning Automatic Rifle - doesn't sound like a bolt action to me.
550 rounds per minute.

http://www.sproe.com/b/bar.html
http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/browning.htm

Bob

Jim Levie

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:37:49 -0800, Orrin Iseminger wrote:

Mostly, the 'fraidy-cats are worried about the terrorist potential, i.e.,
they could knock out electrical equipment, hazardous materials storage
tanks, etc. from a considerable distance.

The terrorists don't seem adverse to strapping explosives to themselves
and detonating same where it will do a lot of harm... Maybe a ban on
people would be more effective.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Gunner

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:15:47 -0800, "Bob"
wrote:

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

BAR - Browning Automatic Rifle - doesn't sound like a bolt action to me.
550 rounds per minute.

http://www.sproe.com/b/bar.html
http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/browning.htm

Bob

The BAR was not a .50 cal, but a 30-06. That indeed was a full auto
weapon at 19 lbs.

The banned .50s are any type. Single shot, bolt action or
semi-automatic. I wonder if Class 3 full autos are banned? Hummmm

Those btw..are known as the M2 or affectionatly..Ma Deuce.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
NOT a .50 cal, though. Not a tripod mounted device, either. Bipod, yes.
Barrett makes .50's in single, bolt action and semi auto. A tripod

mounted
.50 would probably be an M2HB, also called a Ma Deuce. Been in use by the
military for about 80 years now. Now THAT's a gun!
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Yep! My old guard outfit, the 625th MP Company, had three of them. Wicked
weapons.

Harold

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Typical media mis-reporting, I'm afraid.

That description is so garbled it's impossible to tell just what the
guy had. It wasn't a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), since those were
30 caliber and fully automatic -- hence requiring a federal permit to
own.

If the guy was in fact a collector of WWII firearms, the choices of
what he could possibly have had are extremely limited. About the only
50 caliber rifle made during WWII was the Boys Anti-Tank Rifle, which
was bolt action, and I believe, single-shot. It was not fired from a
tripod.

In fact, thinking about it, there were almost no 'rifles' designed to
be fired from a tripod.

Which is not to say I'm damn glad someone took his ranting seriously
and turned him into the cops -- and that the cops took it seriously
enough to investigate. Even if all he had was a Daisy air rifle, the
guy needed to be stopped.

The best protection we have against the homicidal nuts among us is to
pay attention and check out people who are obviously suspicious. If we
did that consistently we coult cut our incidence of mass murders to
just about zero.

None of which reflects on the 50 caliber rifle because we don't know
what the guy had.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Gunner wrote:

Typical bull**** feel-goodism. A criminal pays no attention to the
law, and it only effects those that have no intention of using one
unlawfully in the first place.

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Did he have a class-3 license, or was this an illegally-owned
machine gun? Or, was it something that looks like a machine gun?

Not that they should be banned, IMHO.

Sad thing is, the press tends to not bother to make or report
on these distinctions.

You've got to understand that the average reporter, especially on a
local newspaper is astoundingly ignorant outside of a few limited
areas. Firearms identification isn't one of them.

A lot of them are also extremely careless about details they consider
'unimportant'.

I don't know -- but he was defending his dope plants from the "new world
order", if that can be considered a mitigating circumstance .

Are we sure it wasn't his speed lab? That would be more consistent.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

On 10 Jan 2005 21:36:27 GMT, Ignoramus5713
wrote:

My guess is that the real reason for this ban is that politicians are
afraid for their own lives.

If so they're banning the wrong thing. As a criminal or terrorist
weapon something like a Barrett is a joke. 50 caliber rifles are about
four feet long and weigh more than 20 pounds. There is no hope of
concealing one, they all kick like bloody mules and it takes an expert
to do anything with one that you can't do easier and cheaper with a
30-06 deer rifle.

A 50 caliber rifle can reach out a long way but that's meaningless
unless you're very well trained with it because even from a rest most
people can't shoot accurately enough to take advantage of the range.

This is another example of the kind of hysteria anti-gunners have been
manufacturing for a couple of decades based on appearence. If it looks
dangerous, it must be dangerous and therefore should be banned.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:13:55 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

cs

My mistake -- the newspaper only describes it as an "anti-aircraft gun".

If it was a working anti-aircraft gun, the guy needed a federal
license to own an operating one.

As for fitting it into a living room -- if it was a 20 mm or a 50
caliber class machine gun, yeah it would fit. But the story just gets
fishier and fishier.

wrote:

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

BAR - Browning Automatic Rifle - doesn't sound like a bolt action to me.
550 rounds per minute.

Nope. But it's not 50 caliber either. It's a 30 caliber light machine
gun. And since it's a fully automatic weapon you need a Class III
permit to own one.

(We won't go into the semi-automatic versions, but they have their own
drawbacks as mower-downers.)

I think the description is wrong.

--RC

http://www.sproe.com/b/bar.html
http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/browning.htm

Bob

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:28:17 -0700, DE
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:02:23 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least
they should be banned from concealed carry.

I know your kidding there Tom. It was mentioned that it would be hard to
conceal and rob a bank with it.

Reminds me of the movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" I think a
20mm used in that one.

That was a 20mm Lahti anti-tank gun -- Finnish from WWII. Thing weighs
about 120+ pounds and it's five or six feet long.

Also in a large armored car heist in Canada
a 20mm in the back of a van pulled infront of the armored car, the
just brandished it by opening the rear door and got away with
millions.

DE

There was IIRC a single case where one of these was used in a robbery
-- which is what the movie was based on. Not what you'd call a major
threat.

-_RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

Well, if you're shooting into a thick crowd, you're going to mow a few
down with even one round, as it'll go through several people without
really slowing down.

So will just about any deer rifle bullet.

True.
But (given a deep crowd with a sniper firing horizontally) the .50 will
go through rather more people, though perhaps not inflicting as severe
injuries on the first, depending).

The only place where the .50 is really 'dangerous' would be extreme-range
sniper shots, or (economic)terrorist attacks.
For example, shoot a round into the space shuttle SRB when it next goes
up (I do not know if the exclusion area is wide enough), or high voltage
transmission line insulators, or ...

And banning it will stop the terrorists getting one.
DE

wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:02:23 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...
As well they SHOULD be banned!!! They are WAY too much fun. As least
they should be banned from concealed carry.

I know your kidding there Tom. It was mentioned that it would be hard to
conceal and rob a bank with it.

Reminds me of the movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" I think a
20mm used in that one.

That was a 20mm Lahti anti-tank gun -- Finnish from WWII. Thing weighs
about 120+ pounds and it's five or six feet long.

Also in a large armored car heist in Canada
a 20mm in the back of a van pulled infront of the armored car, the
just brandished it by opening the rear door and got away with
millions.

DE

There was IIRC a single case where one of these was used in a robbery
-- which is what the movie was based on. Not what you'd call a major
threat.

The movie was in '74 (filmed near here) the armored car heist was
later in the '80's. the robbers didn't have to fire a shot, just the
threat was enough to convice the guards to give up the $. They were
never caught, got away with something like 6M.

The hysteria on 60 min. about the 50 cal will
end up being a self fullfilling prophesy IMO. Read Clancy's Teeth of
the Tiger.

DE