Dave Hinz

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:57:49 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:29:30 -0500, Ed Huntress

wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
. ..

Just looked in my 1962 Shooter's Bible - makes one want to cry with the
prices :-)

I try not to look. Somewhere I have the receipt for my uncle's Browning
Superposed shotgun, a fairly high grade, that my aunt bought for his
birthday at Abercrombie & Fitch in Manhatten, around 1951. It was $64.

I'll double your money, Ed, and give you $128 for it.

Thanks, but I have all these roll-crimp shells I wouldn't have any use for.
I think I'll keep it.

I've got half a box of balloon-head .44 Russian shells to trade? Got
the S&W Model 3 to use 'em with too...

Shoots high and to the right (with new proper ammo), though. Maybe I
should get out the file?

Ed Huntress

wrote:
[...]

Well, I turned down $2,400 for it 10 years ago. And it's become a keepsake.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner

On 3 Feb 2005 18:24:14 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:14:46 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 3 Feb 2005 17:18:41 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I've got that one, and the Olsen (Olson?) as well. Couple dozen
Mausers at home, and if you count the '03s and Arisakas as Mausers,
another dozen or so.

Someday you will have a real collection. Keep up the good work.

Well, I haven't really limited myself to Mauser-ish designs. Still,
only half the wallspace is full, so I've got plenty of room and time
to go.

Drop me an email, I'll send you a couple of pics.

Dave

My email is good, simply remove the nospam

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Gunner

wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
. ..

Just looked in my 1962 Shooter's Bible - makes one want to cry with the
prices :-)

I try not to look. Somewhere I have the receipt for my uncle's Browning
Superposed shotgun, a fairly high grade, that my aunt bought for his
birthday at Abercrombie & Fitch in Manhatten, around 1951. It was $64.

I'll double your money, Ed, and give you $128 for it.

Thanks, but I have all these roll-crimp shells I wouldn't have any use for.
I think I'll keep it.

I've got half a box of balloon-head .44 Russian shells to trade? Got
the S&W Model 3 to use 'em with too...

Shoots high and to the right (with new proper ammo), though. Maybe I
should get out the file?

Not if it shoots high. Might consider replacing the front sight with a
dime, and filing that down

(got a New Century with a dime soldered on for a front sight. Dead
nuts at 15yrds too)

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 05:49:35 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 4 Feb 2005 00:12:17 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I've got half a box of balloon-head .44 Russian shells to trade? Got
the S&W Model 3 to use 'em with too...

Shoots high and to the right (with new proper ammo), though. Maybe I
should get out the file?

Not if it shoots high. Might consider replacing the front sight with a
dime, and filing that down

Naah, it's a 4-figure value now, and I'd prefer to keep it there.
It's probably shooting high because I'm loading a minimum load
for it (more time for barrel to flip, higher point of impact).

(got a New Century with a dime soldered on for a front sight. Dead
nuts at 15yrds too)

This thing groups nice, maybe 3 or 4 inches at 25 yards. It's just that
if you want that group in the black, you need to aim at the bottom of
the paper...

Gunner

On 4 Feb 2005 16:19:33 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Load a lighter bullet or speed up the velocity. Thats often the only
thing you can do to raise the point of impact in such cases.
Ive got an old 1917 that will shoot the center out of the x ring with
150gr "collar button" semi wad cutters with a center hold, but will
shoot about 10" high at the same range with a standard 230gr bullet at
standard velocities.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:58:47 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 4 Feb 2005 16:19:33 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

This thing groups nice, maybe 3 or 4 inches at 25 yards. It's just that
if you want that group in the black, you need to aim at the bottom of
the paper...

Load a lighter bullet or speed up the velocity.

I think these are 240s, and I have a box of 210s. I'll see if I have
a load for that.

Thats often the only
thing you can do to raise the point of impact in such cases.

Well, I spend more time playing with loads for the 1911's. This is
just a fun diversion, y'know?

Ive got an old 1917 that will shoot the center out of the x ring with
150gr "collar button" semi wad cutters with a center hold, but will
shoot about 10" high at the same range with a standard 230gr bullet at
standard velocities.

Which is odd, since it was designed for ball, wasn't it? Those semi-
wadcutters shoot nice in my 1911 (a 60's commercial model), but it
has been extensively gone over by a guy called Charlie Millazo(sp?) -
an amazingly nice trigger on it.

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:34:01 GMT, Clif Holland wrote:
Sounds to me like you're "heeling it". Try skip loading and see what happens
when you hit an empty hole.

Could be. The grip on a Model 3 S&W has an odd shape, so my normal
hand position doesn't feel right. I found my load info for the 210
grain bullets, and I'm going to load up a box tomorrow & try 'em.

Fun shooting something more than a century old.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:26:44 -0500, the inscrutable "Ed Huntress"
spake:

"Tom" wrote in message

"the U.S. Army modified the '03 to take a 150-grain bullet that
could reach out to where the Huns were...."

What was that all about?

Keeping up with Mauser, as Germany was considered to be one of the potential
military threats.

They had much better intel back then, didn't they? And no official
CIA to boot. Perhaps things were a bit less political a century ago.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Ed Huntress

"Tom" wrote in message

"the U.S. Army modified the '03 to take a 150-grain bullet that
could reach out to where the Huns were...."

What was that all about?

Keeping up with Mauser, as Germany was considered to be one of the

potential
military threats.

They had much better intel back then, didn't they? And no official
CIA to boot. Perhaps things were a bit less political a century ago.

It's a lot easier to keep track of a nation's intentions if it conducts its
wars with an organized, uniformed army. Now, you first have to figure out
who you're fighting with.

--
Ed Huntress