On 10 Jan 2005 21:36:27 GMT, Ignoramus5713
wrote:

My guess is that the real reason for this ban is that politicians are
afraid for their own lives.

If so they're banning the wrong thing. As a criminal or terrorist
weapon something like a Barrett is a joke. 50 caliber rifles are about
four feet long and weigh more than 20 pounds. There is no hope of
concealing one, they all kick like bloody mules and it takes an expert
to do anything with one that you can't do easier and cheaper with a
30-06 deer rifle.

A 50 caliber rifle can reach out a long way but that's meaningless
unless you're very well trained with it because even from a rest most
people can't shoot accurately enough to take advantage of the range.

This is another example of the kind of hysteria anti-gunners have been
manufacturing for a couple of decades based on appearence. If it looks
dangerous, it must be dangerous and therefore should be banned.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.