Modat22

Post an add in your local bargainmart or do a web search for tesla
clubs in your area.

If you where in KY I'd buy it, I've been looking for a good deal on a
older pole pig transformer and pole capacitors for a couple years.
Handy if you want to make a rail gun or shrink quarters.

Maybe you would be interested in my capacitors then.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors/

Hmm those are nice, we should talk

Modat22

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:18:00 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Ignoramus28225" wrote in message
Maybe you would be interested in my capacitors then.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors/

I might want those.

Can't say I have a use for the transformer though (even if I knew the
ratings), it's just too big!

Tim

See this thing has a big contactor in it. If it does you can sell that
on ebay. Also look for large diode packs also a good ebay item. I know
those caps will sell on ebay because I've bought a bunch just like
those for amplifier projects. Hmm might have some big IGBT devices on
there used in the frequency switching circuit another ebay item.

That transformer you can just chisel the windings off. Latter you
might wind a new primary for say 220 and make a great welder or
serious DC power supply.

Another use for that transformer would be for solar houses as a step
up transformer for the battery racks.

Anthony Matonak

Ignoramus28225 wrote:
I see. Thanks. I am curious, how do they make 1.2 FARAD capacitors
that they sell for car music. It would seem that if they were made
using the same technology, they would need to be like 250 times bigger
than my capacitors!

They are electrolytic capacitors and use a carbon aerogel as one
of the "plates". Aerogels have a very large surface area per volume.

Anthony
Me

In article ,
"TURTLE" wrote:

This is Turtle.

i , first before starting to take apart this transformer contact your
Medical
insurance company and add on a Cancer Policy for you and the family members
for
your may need it if you spill any of this liquid at your house or on you. The
transformer oil in not cancer causing stuff till it is used over a year or so
and then it become PCB . the stuff is activated by the electricity going
through
it and become a Cancer causing stuff after they have been used. Now here is a
chance to get rid of a unwanted Brother in law or kind folks by just getting
them to take it apart and get the oil on them. In Short order your in the
class
of getting cancer soon.

So if you interested in keeping your family safe and not have cancer. You
need
to have it hauled off to the Power company work station and dump it out when
they are not looking and they have the means to dispose of it properly. There
maybe $30 or $40 of copper in it but having Cancer will wipe out that profit
real fast.

i , DON"T TOUCH THAT STUFF AND GET RID OF IT.

TURTLE

and another DUFUS chimes in............ where do these guys live, before
they show up here and display their lack of knowledge.......Maybe we
could send them a CLUE in the mail........

Me
Morten

"Ignoramus28225" wrote in message

Cool, how do you use it, ie. where do you run the thing and with what
parameters, I'm familiar with perl but haven't taken your script apart

yet
:-)

I run it under linux, in the directory where the photos are. I run it
like this:

index-pix.pl --with-pix "Picture Index"

that creates thubmnail pages and goes through all subdirectories
recursively.

Nice indeed, but it falls apart when using filenames with spaces in them :-O

Where did you get the convert utility from, it's not installed on my system
and it's not on the install discs either, could you mail to me or post a url
somewhere...

I've corrected the missing string encapsulations and are going through the
script to make a little more HTML compliant, ie. add a /body and /html
and a few other bits, I'll post my version here when I'm finnished
molestring it :-)

Regards

Morten

ps: You can mail me at mormordogs at zorland dot netdogs but please take out
the dogs first, they need attention to :-)

---

Me

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Reactionary? Nonsense. The OP stated that he has a transformer weighing
around 200 lbs. While this does not necessarily mean it's different from the
one in my furnace, dishwasher or doorbell, it also does not mean it's the
same. Neither you nor I know exactly what he has. You know that.

Yes, definitly "Reactionay" in that you had NO Knowledge of the
transformer in question, and when others explained that ALL these
used in a FerroUPS, are DRY transformers, you still insist telling the
world, your prepositioned agenda. Actually, some of US do know exactly
what transformer the OP has, and what type it is, and that it doesn't
have anything to do with PCB's. Now, do you know what PCB stands for,
or is this another area that you knowledge base doesn't cover?

Me
Modat22

On 4 Jan 2005 19:44:01 GMT, Ignoramus28225
wrote:

See this thing has a big contactor in it. If it does you can sell that
on ebay.

What does that contactor do? What is it?

Its a big relay, a solenoid actuated switch (sorta)

That transformer you can just chisel the windings off. Latter you
might wind a new primary for say 220 and make a great welder or
serious DC power supply.

I am pretty fascinated by the idea of having my own welder. Since
there are many windings on this transformer already, it just might
have one low voltage winding, and with a few big ass diodes I would
have a serious DC power source.

I am now making a subpanel in my garage, so, it would all fit with
having my own welding machine. Of course, I need to learn a lot about
what is involved in welding equipment. Great idea.

You'll probably have to wind another primary sized for the welding
load.

On the secondary side you might be using something like #4 or bigger
wire, and you'll have to add an inductor.

Look around on the web you should be able to use that transformer form
for something really cool and dangerous
Jim Stewart

Ignoramus28225 wrote:

I am pretty fascinated by the idea of having my own welder. Since
there are many windings on this transformer already, it just might
have one low voltage winding, and with a few big ass diodes I would
have a serious DC power source.

I am now making a subpanel in my garage, so, it would all fit with
having my own welding machine. Of course, I need to learn a lot about
what is involved in welding equipment. Great idea.

Welding is a skill that takes time and
preferably instruction to master. I
suggest that if you want to learn how to
weld, you take a community college course.

The transformer is probably sized to make
a decent welder, but the task is not trivial.
You'll have to figure out the turns ratio,
calculate the size of wire and number of
turns for the new secondary, wind it, probably
make an inductor and deal with the leads.

So, one thing at a time. Learn to weld,
research building your own welder and go
from there. Don't try to do it all at
once.

Doug Kanter

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Reactionary? Nonsense. The OP stated that he has a transformer weighing
around 200 lbs. While this does not necessarily mean it's different from
the
one in my furnace, dishwasher or doorbell, it also does not mean it's the
same. Neither you nor I know exactly what he has. You know that.

Yes, definitly "Reactionay" in that you had NO Knowledge of the
transformer in question, and when others explained that ALL these
used in a FerroUPS, are DRY transformers, you still insist telling the
world, your prepositioned agenda. Actually, some of US do know exactly
what transformer the OP has, and what type it is, and that it doesn't
have anything to do with PCB's. Now, do you know what PCB stands for,
or is this another area that you knowledge base doesn't cover?

Me

You will notice that my suggestion was posted before any of these
explanations arrived. Or, perhaps you won't notice.

In any case, it doesn't matter to you, really. You know that.

Morten

"Ignoramus28225" wrote in message

Great point. Look at 'system' call invocation, you can put single
quotes around the filenames.

Thats almost what I did, I put any strings into \" and that solved the
issue...

Where did you get the convert utility from, it's not installed on my
system and it's not on the install discs either, could you mail to
me or post a url somewhere...

It is a part of the ImageMagick package.

Yes, I know I just found it and installed it, so now that part works as well
:-)

/Morten

---

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 02:25:25 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
snip-------

Forgive me, but the subject under discussion was _transformers_. The
things in flourescent ballasts were capacitors.

--RC

Nope. Not the old type, anyway. The ballast IS a transformer, and the
old ones were filled with PCB. Those that don't have PCB's clearly state
so.

Harold

The EPA web site refers to the capacitors containing PCBs but it says
nothing about the transformers.

Which puts me at the limit of my knowledge, so I'd better take my own
advice and shut up.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Chas

"Ignoramus22732" wrote in message
Okay, all that said -- for you paranoids out there there is another
source of PCBs that _was_ commonly used in the home: Capacitors,
especially the capacitors used in electric light ballasts. Those _did_
have PCBs in them at one time. So if you're got some 30-year-old
flourescent lights hanging around you might want to take a minute to
check the ballasts. If they don't have PCBs they will say so.

How about these huge capacitors from the demolished UPS?

See

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors/

The cup is pictured for size comparison.

Are they 4.1 farad each or they are 4.1 millifarad? They are rated for
300V. Are there PCB in them?

No, those are DC electrolytic filter caps which do not contain PCB. The
three oil filled AC paper caps in the picture behind the bank of blue
electros would be prime contenders for PCB, but unlikely if manufactured
1990.
--
Regards, Chas.

To Email, replace 'xxx' with tango papa golf.

Orrin Iseminger

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:37:23 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

How many transformers do you have in your house, Doug?
How many of those contain PCBs?
What types of transformers used PCBs, and what was the purpose for the PCBs?

Jon

Jon --

Let me try to answer your last question. I'm no transformer expert,
but I worked in power plants my entire career. I know just enough to
be dangerous.

Generally speaking, large power transformers used PCBs. The liquid in
the transformer acted as a coolant that carried away heat to heat
exhangers of one kind or another. Most of them rejected their heat to
water or atmospheric air.

One of the ways to classify transformers is by their method of
cooling. O/A were oil/air cooled. O/W were oil/water cooled
O/A/F were oil/air/fan, etc. (I might be incorrect on that last one.
It might be O/FA.)

The PCBs were valued for their fire-suppressant properties. Thus, if
a transformer ever blew up there wasn't so much danger of fire.

Long before the days of environmental consciousness, folks who could
get their hands on transformer oil (PCBs) would slather it onto the
wood shingles on their houses. Not only would it help preserve the
wood, it would act as a fire supressant.

Regards,

Orrin

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
take out 'takeout' to reply wrote:
On 4 Jan 2005 03:03:32 GMT, Ignoramus22732
wrote:

Okay, all that said -- for you paranoids out there there is another

[ ... ]

How about these huge capacitors from the demolished UPS?

[ ... ]

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors/

The cup is pictured for size comparison.

Are they 4.1 farad each or they are 4.1 millifarad? They are rated for
300V. Are there PCB in them?

The blue ones? They are not 4.1 farad. You might call them 4.1
millifarad, but the common way to say it is 4100 uF (micro-Farad).

[ ... ]

If there is liquid in them and they date from before about 1973, then
there's a good chance they do have PCBs in them. Check with the
manufacturer.

Those don't. They are DC electrolytic capacitors, not
oil-filled ones.

However, the ones in the background are oil-filled (The ones
with all-metal oval cases.)

The date of manufacture of the blue ones is the 11th week of
1991, long after the PCBs were no longer used. The oil-filled capacitors
are almost certainly of the same period (as is the whole UPS). And Best
(the maker of the FerrUPS) would not use old PCB-laden capacitors, even
if they had some in an old storeroom. But they would not, as the
company was formed well after PCBs stopped being used in capacitors or
oil-cooled transformers.

Well ... actually, they *did* use *some* PCBs in their UPS.
Printed Circuit Boards, not the chemical. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gymy Bob

Just don't ever lose weight. Toxins are stored in your fat cells.

"Warren Weber" wrote in message

"Morten" wrote in message

"john johnson" wrote in message
u...

snip snap snude

While there is a fair bit of hysteria surrounding PCBs, there are some

real
risks with the pure stuff that people playing with old transformers and
capacitors need to be wary of.

Thanx for the warning, I was not aware that there still might som PCBs
arround in old oil filled transformers and old capacitors so I'll keep
that
in mind next time I go shopping at the local scrapheap :-)

/Morten

---

I worked for Westinghouse transformer rebuilding service in the late
1940's. Was into PCB oil up to my elbows sometimes. Maybe I should start
worrying about this??? W W

Gymy Bob

Only because most cannot type Greek characters on their computers. The
prefixes are Greek letters designated by some standards committee.

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:25:09 GMT, m II wrote:
Ignoramus22732 wrote:

Are they 4.1 farad each or they are 4.1 millifarad? They are rated for
300V. Are there PCB in them?

The historical aspect of this just HAS to be remembered.

=============================================== ==
Only metric prefixes for 10+6 or more have an upper-case abbreviation

(e.g.,
M = 10+6, G = 10+9, etc.). In particular, note that the prefix m

indicates
10-3 and M indicates 10+6. The difference between an upper-case M and a
lower-case m is nine orders of magnitude! One should be warned that

American
manufacturers of capacitors often use "mF" or "MF" to indicate

microfarads,
a practice that is both incorrect and misleading.

I agree, it is a holy mess. m stands for milli. u stands for micro. n
stands for nano.

http://www.rbs0.com/tw.htm
=============================================== ==

mike

Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:24:53 -0800, Orrin Iseminger
wrote:

Big Snip
The PCBs were valued for their fire-suppressant properties. Thus, if
a transformer ever blew up there wasn't so much danger of fire.

Long before the days of environmental consciousness, folks who could
get their hands on transformer oil (PCBs) would slather it onto the
wood shingles on their houses. Not only would it help preserve the
wood, it would act as a fire supressant.

And now you've got a PCB-laden Superfund Site on your roof. :-0

("Well, it sure sounded like a good idea at the time...") ^_^

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
m II

Doug Kanter wrote:

A small but vocal group of citizens in upstate NY is lobbying for a law
which allows the shooting of people at campsites who spend an entire weekend
burning plastic shopping bags. :-)

Where do I send the contribution? They may need more ammo.

mike

Gymy Bob

This just implies that he posted information without even knowing much about
the subject matter. This wreaks of M II again. This is her style.

"Ignoramus28225" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:16:29 GMT, Doug Kanter

wrote:

I did not know whether his transformer contained liquid, and neither
did he. If nobody else had happened by to clarify, he may well have
opened up a Pandora's box, so to speak. But, it doesn't matter at
this point. Your only reason for being here is because you needed to
vent some anger that came from somewhere else in your life.

I want to chime in.

I did know that the transformer was dry. Doug did not know that at the
time he made his post. I feel that his warning was warranted, even
though the facts that he did not know, obviated the need for his
warning.

I personally would prefer to be informed of dangers, even though some
of the warnings turn out to be irrelevant, as opposed to not being
warned of dangers that "might" be actual.

This discussion of PCBs has been very enlightening to me and I thank
both Doug amd "Me".

Gymy Bob

LOL. These are standard electrolytic capacitors and have no PCBs in them!

However the metal cans at the back may have. Careful with them.

"Ignoramus22732" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:32:25 -0600, Ken Grunke

wrote:
Ignoramus22732 wrote:

Gymy Bob wrote:

Can't this tranformer be used by somebody to generate a second 120V

from a
single phase 120V inverter? It sounds pretty beefy.

It has a lot of connectors. I ppulled another, isolation looking
transformer (1:1) from the unit, will probably sell that.

This one looks like a multi voltage unit.

I spent a multitude of hours as a kid taking stuff apart, including
small transformers. (Dry types) Transformers are one of the least
fun things to tear into.

Could not agree more. Pictures of both transformers (the big one and
the isolation one) are at

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors/

I just uploaded them.

With the size of the copper wire you say it has, it must have a high-amp
output. Is it stepup or stepdown? If stepdown, it could possibly make a
great custom arc or spot welder, or an electroplating supply.

I have no idea if it is step up or stepdown, looks like it is for many
things.

Stormin Mormon

Friend of mine used to harvest the coils off the back of picture tubes from
TV's. He'd smash the black iron out with a hammer, and compact t he copper
parts.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"Ignoramus22732" wrote in message
I am demolishing a huge 8 kVa UPS. Lots of nice wires, screws etc.

It has a large transformer, it weighs around 200 lbs. It comes from a
that 8 KVA Ferrups UPS. There is a super heavy square shaped copper
wire on it, which, I fancy, could sell for some money. This wire is
something like 3x8 mm in cross section. Very heavy stuff. So, if I
somehow manage to pull the transformer apart, I would, first, able to
throw the steel part to garbage, and second, to get and sell copper
wire. i would also keep some of this copper wire for home uses such as
grounding wire for my generator.

Without taking it apart I will not be able to do anything with this
monstrosity, not even throw it away.

This is a specialty transformer with lots of contacts, so I do not
think that I could sell it. (another, smaller like 50 lbs transformer
is an isolation transformer which I hope to sell for at least
something. Also, there are 8 1.2 farad capacitors)

So... How do I take it apart? It was assembled from steel plates, can
it be therefore disassembled?

Martin H. Eastburn

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:47:43 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:02:00 GMT,
(Harry
Chickpea) wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Question 3: The oil in older, larger transformers was there for either
cooling or insulation - I don't recall, and it doesn't matter, since

it's

just a point of interest. But, the PCBs were there as a byproduct, not
because they had a purpose.

Nope. The chemicals were there to facilitate heat transfer,
especially in larger grid transformers. Needless to say,
non-conductive liquids with a high boiling point are required for the
task.

http://www.ehso.com/EHSO_PCB.htm

Characteristics and Uses of PCBs

PCBs belong to a family of organic compounds known as chlorinated
hydrocarbons. Key characteristics include: high boiling point, high
degree of chemical stability, low flammability, and low electric
conductivity. Between 1926-29 and 1977, PCB-containing products were
manufactured for use in applications where stable, fire-resistant,
heat-transfer properties were demanded. The most extensive use of PCBs
occurred in dielectric fluids. Such fluids typically have the
following characteristics: a heavy oil appearance, high boiling point,
high chemical stability, high flash point, low electrical
conductivity, and low water solubility. PCBs were also used as
plasticizers and additives in lubricating and cutting fluids. Most
PCBs were sold for use as dielectric fluids (insulating liquids) in
electric transformers and capacitors. Other uses included heat
transfer fluid, hydraulic fluid, dye carriers in carbonless copy
paper, plasticizers in paints, adhesives, and caulking compounds, and
filters in investment casting wax. Although PCBs are no longer
commercially made in the United States, many electric transformers and
capacitors once filled with PCBs are still in service. Additionally,
PCBs currently are being inadvertently produced as byproducts during
the manufacture of certain organic chemicals. PCB Manufacturers and
Trade Names lists some of the manufacturers, who made PCBs and the
trade names of their products.

Why Are PCBs Harmful to Human Health and the Environment
When released into the environment, PCBs do not easily break apart and
form new chemical arrangements (i.e., they are not readily
biodegradable). Instead they persist for many years, bioaccumulate,
and bioconcentrate in organisms. Well documented tests on laboratory
animals show that various levels of PCBs cause reproductive effects,
gastric disorders, skin lesions, and cancerous tumors. Exposure to
PCBs in humans can cause chloracne (a painful, disfiguring skin
ailment), liver damage, nausea, dizziness, eye irritation, and
bronchitis.

While this is basically correct, I suspect it is somewhat out of date.
IIRC, electrical equipment containing PCBs had to be replaced by a
certain date, so there should be no transformers or other equipment
still in service in the US containing PCBs.

There were a lot of flourescent ballasts that contained PCB's, and a lot of
old shelf stock around.

Those are capacitors, not transformers, however. (Which is only
important because I was much less well informed about capacitors than
I was about transformers?)

Some of them are undoubtedly still in service. There
are still some very old utility transformers in service that contain PCB's.

Are you sure about that? When I was with Arizona Public Service Co. in
the late 70s they were in the process of replacing all their
PCB-loaded transformers with non-PCB models. My understanding was that
there was an EPA deadline they had to meet for the changeover.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Many MIL Spec transformers had the very high quality - thin oil that was
extracted by many people for use when the transformer burnt - and that was
an issue.

Power companies did go through changes - it was costly and over the length
of time it was useful. Lighting strikes and line over use issues blew transformers
from time to time and you could hear the can top blow and smell the burnt oil
knowing exactly what happened.

Just to risky to be on the pole of every or every other house.

I can't wait to relocate - I have two mongo transformers that supply my house
and my shop. One each.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Gymy Bob" wrote in message
LOL...good luck with that one! We scrap surplus copper everyday in my
business.

Speaking from the position of a guy that, as a kid, did one hell of a lot of
copper wire recycling------that's how I made my money-------------------

For someone that claims to be recycling copper on a daily basis, you don't
appear to know much about copper. *ANY* copper wire that is used for
electrical purposes is electrolytically refined copper. It must have
excellent electrical properties in order to be used, and also to be drawn
successfully. It is by the electrolytic refining that copper attains that
level of quality. It's also necessary for the refinery, for copper, as
extracted from ores, is typically the carrier of other elements, many of
which are valuable (gold, silver, platinum, palladium, etc.) and it is in
the electrolytic process that they are recovered. It would be absurd, at
best, to assume that copper wire isn't pure, unless it is alloyed to
specifics for a given purpose.

If, in the process of making connections, the copper has tinned ends, the
copper is used in the brass industry for alloying to their specifications,
so the recycling market still has a keen interest in buying it. There
is *always* a market for recycled copper, it is never worthless as you
suggest. If you're not getting paid near market price, it's your own
shortcoming that is preventing you from doing so. You're being taken for a
ride and don't know it. Maybe you need to step up to the plate and get an
education.

If you have anything in the way of links to lead me to information contrary
to this, feel free to provide them. I'm not interested in your opinion.
You've already shown us that you don't have a grasp on reality and don't
know what the hell you're talking about.

Harold

Doug Kanter

"Gymy Bob" wrote in message
YOU just needed to read his original post. He stated it pretty clear he
was
looking at laminations and windings and paper. If it even remotely was a
oil
filled transformer, it was a little late for that.

And as I pointed out, I don't know enough for "laminations and windings" to
mean anything at that point in the discussion. My goal was to get him to
slow down and wait for a little more input from others. You don't really
have a problem with that, do you?

Doug Kanter

"Gymy Bob" wrote in message
This just implies that he posted information without even knowing much
about
the subject matter. This wreaks of M II again. This is her style.

At what point in this thread did I claim to be an expert? Let's simplify:

1) OP says he has a transformer. His question contains clues which make
sense to people who know more than I do about transformers.

2) People who know more than I do have not yet joined the discussion, at the
moment when I posted my first comment. Matter of fact, mine was the first
response to his question.

3) I suggested he investigate further, which the OP (and a few observers)
thought was a fair suggestion.

4) A number of people decided it was a good day to hurl insults because that
somehow distracts them from their little, tiny pee-pees and their powerless
lives.

Get it?

Doug Kanter

Send to:
"Bob"
Tent Site 118
Nick's Lake State Park
Old Forge NY

ROFL!

"m II" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

A small but vocal group of citizens in upstate NY is lobbying for a law
which allows the shooting of people at campsites who spend an entire
weekend burning plastic shopping bags. :-)

Where do I send the contribution? They may need more ammo.

mike

Me

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

My goal was to get him to
slow down and wait for a little more input from others. You don't really
have a problem with that, do you?

He doesn't need to "Slow Down", you need to keep up with the thread, and
read what the OP stated in the first place, and COMPREHEND what he wrote.
The rest of us certainly understood what he stated, and your whole PCB
thing was just "Off the Wall" because it was obvious to the rest of the
UNIVERSE, that he had a dry transformer..............

Me
Me

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

4) A number of people decided it was a good day to hurl insults because that
somehow distracts them from their little, tiny pee-pees and their powerless
lives.

Get it?

Give the UNIVERSE a break, and stop with the "Tommyboy Beno" type replys.
You just can't admit that you posted, before thinking, and the rest of
the UNIVERSE, caught you at it, and commented.

Me

Doug Kanter

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

My goal was to get him to
slow down and wait for a little more input from others. You don't really
have a problem with that, do you?

He doesn't need to "Slow Down", you need to keep up with the thread, and
read what the OP stated in the first place, and COMPREHEND what he wrote.
The rest of us certainly understood what he stated, and your whole PCB
thing was just "Off the Wall" because it was obvious to the rest of the
UNIVERSE, that he had a dry transformer..............

Me

Mine was the 2nd post in the discussion, so there WAS no thread to keep up
with. Is that clear, or do you need a diagram?

As far as comprehending what he wrote, if I knew enough to extrapolate from
his description, I would not have asked my question. However, as it turned
out, it seems there *are* some parts in his UPS that may require careful
handling due to PCBs.

Doug Kanter

"Ignoramus584" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:03:16 GMT, Doug Kanter
wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

My goal was to get him to
slow down and wait for a little more input from others. You don't
really
have a problem with that, do you?

He doesn't need to "Slow Down", you need to keep up with the thread, and
read what the OP stated in the first place, and COMPREHEND what he
wrote.
The rest of us certainly understood what he stated, and your whole PCB
thing was just "Off the Wall" because it was obvious to the rest of the
UNIVERSE, that he had a dry transformer..............

Me

Mine was the 2nd post in the discussion, so there WAS no thread to keep
up
with. Is that clear, or do you need a diagram?

Correct.

As far as comprehending what he wrote, if I knew enough to extrapolate
from
his description, I would not have asked my question. However, as it
turned
out, it seems there *are* some parts in his UPS that may require careful
handling due to PCBs.

No, there is no PCB in that UPS. The sealed capacitors do not contain PCB.

OK....but still.

Doug Kanter

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

4) A number of people decided it was a good day to hurl insults because
that
somehow distracts them from their little, tiny pee-pees and their
powerless
lives.

Get it?

Give the UNIVERSE a break, and stop with the "Tommyboy Beno" type replys.
You just can't admit that you posted, before thinking, and the rest of
the UNIVERSE, caught you at it, and commented.

Me

It wouldn't have mattered WHAT I thought. Based on my slim knowledge of
transformers, the information was enough enough for ME to know that his were
not dangerous. Why is it such a problem for YOU that I suggested he be
cautious for what.....4 hours until he knew a little more?

B.B.

In article ,
Me wrote:

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

4) A number of people decided it was a good day to hurl insults because that
somehow distracts them from their little, tiny pee-pees and their powerless
lives.

Get it?

Give the UNIVERSE a break, and stop with the "Tommyboy Beno" type replys.
You just can't admit that you posted, before thinking, and the rest of
the UNIVERSE, caught you at it, and commented.

Me

Off in my chunk of the universe his reply seemed reasonable even if
better replies came along later. OTOH, you have come across as an
asshole and have provided no information of any use at all.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Gymy Bob

You sure spent a lot of time trying to convince me you don't knwo what I am
talking about...LOL

You obviously know nothing about scrap metals. The purity of the copper is
not related to the price. It is the purity of the mix. Copper with anything
mixed in with it or bonded to it is classed as "mixed copper". You may have
to pay the scrapper to haul it away.

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"Gymy Bob" wrote in message
[...]

CM

If they are a metal can type they are most likely full of PCB oil unless
stated otherwise on the metal cans.

Maybe, if they are line voltage AC capacitors.
If they are polarized, for DC or pulsed DC, with one
terminal marked +positive and the other -negative, they are
electrolytic capacitors, without PCBs.

Electrolytic capacitors have a conductive electrolyte in them, and if they
leak they can cause a short. I had a television set damaged that way from a
leaking electrolytic capacitor - ZAP!

CM

Me

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Ignoramus584" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:03:16 GMT, Doug Kanter
wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

[...]

But still what???? You just can't get your mind around the issue that
you posted comments that had NO Bearing on the OP's question........
No PCB's anywhere in the stated unit. The UNIVERSE knew this before the
first reply post happened. Apparently you did not, but posted your lack
of knowledge anyway......

Me
Doug Kanter

"Me" wrote in message

No, there is no PCB in that UPS. The sealed capacitors do not contain
PCB.

OK....but still.

But still what???? You just can't get your mind around the issue that
you posted comments that had NO Bearing on the OP's question........
No PCB's anywhere in the stated unit. The UNIVERSE knew this before the
first reply post happened. Apparently you did not, but posted your lack
of knowledge anyway......

Me

The OP is aware of something he knew less about before this thread. There is
nothing wrong with knowledge.

In the 1980s, there was a cartoonist named Kliban, sort of a predecessor of
Gary Larson (Far Side). In one of his cartoons, there's a Neanderthal sort
of creature using a long stick to open a book from a distance, as if he's
afraid it might bite him. Sounds like you.

willshak

snipped everything

I took apart a large transformer some time ago. I don't know if it contained any PCB. If it did, it was in solid form. The reason that I took it apart was that I couldn't get it to transform from the cyborg to the jet plane. :-)

--
Bill