Jim Stewart

Ignoramus28225 wrote:

I am pretty fascinated by the idea of having my own welder. Since
there are many windings on this transformer already, it just might
have one low voltage winding, and with a few big ass diodes I would
have a serious DC power source.

I am now making a subpanel in my garage, so, it would all fit with
having my own welding machine. Of course, I need to learn a lot about
what is involved in welding equipment. Great idea.

Welding is a skill that takes time and
preferably instruction to master. I
suggest that if you want to learn how to
weld, you take a community college course.

The transformer is probably sized to make
a decent welder, but the task is not trivial.
You'll have to figure out the turns ratio,
calculate the size of wire and number of
turns for the new secondary, wind it, probably
make an inductor and deal with the leads.

So, one thing at a time. Learn to weld,
research building your own welder and go
from there. Don't try to do it all at
once.