Gregg

Default Metalworking with a Dremel??

Hello all

I am new to this group and I love using my dremel tool and was wondering
what all hobbies there are for metal working with a dremel tool.

Thanks in advance

Ed Huntress

"Gregg" wrote in message
Hello all

I am new to this group and I love using my dremel tool and was wondering
what all hobbies there are for metal working with a dremel tool.

Thanks in advance

There are a lot of small things you can do with it. It's good for some kinds
of amateur jewelry work. I finish with jeweler's files, but I've roughed
some pendants out with the Dremel, after cutting a rough shape out with a
jeweler's saw -- mostly brass and silver, in my case.

Think in terms of decorative work rather than precision metalworking. If you
get into small-scale decorative metalwork, it can keep you occupied for a
lifetime.

It's also good for many kinds of modelmaking. But I wouldn't think in terms
of carving metal out of a solid piece. With metal, you need different
processes at different stages. The stuff demands some knowledge of a few
basic processes (sawing, chiseling, filing), and you'll fit the Dremel work
into the bigger picture as you gain some experience.

No, I don't have any sites to recommend. g

--
Ed Huntress

Tim Wescott

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Gregg" wrote in message

[...]

I once made a chess set with a Dremel tool, some 1/8 dowel, an Exacto
knife and some sandpaper -- very fun, I was really past the age where
one could give crude hand-crafted gifts to one's Uncles but this one
didn't qualify as "crude".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:57:22 -0600, "Gregg"
wrote:

Hello all

I am new to this group and I love using my dremel tool and was wondering
what all hobbies there are for metal working with a dremel tool.

Thanks in advance

Jewelry making. (Also lapidary, but that's not strictly metal
working.) My Foredom shaft tool hangs over my jeweler's bench, but I
still find a lot of situations where the Dremel is handier.

My auto mechanic also uses a Dremel for jobs like removing broken
clutch cables. Did I mention it's a VW shop?

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Gunner

wrote:

Hello all

I am new to this group and I love using my dremel tool and was wondering
what all hobbies there are for metal working with a dremel tool.

Thanks in advance

Do-it-yourself dentistry
Glass engraving (can you write in Spanish? Can you draw a picture of
the Virgin Mary of Guadalupe on the rear window of a Pontiac?)
Model making
Orthopedic Micro Surgery for fun and profit.
soap stone sculpture
wood carving

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

Bugs

Check with your dentist for worn diamond and carbide bits. With them
you can cut almost anything. I use it with a holder on the lathe
toolpost as a small surface grinder. You can also mount it on a pattern
tracer to cut sign letters and other patterns. It's a very versatile
tool.
Bugs

Phil Stein

wrote:

Hello all

I am new to this group and I love using my dremel tool and was wondering
what all hobbies there are for metal working with a dremel tool.

Thanks in advance

Polishing, grinding & cutting. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a
file to a specific shape I needed. It was about 1/4" thick - not a
little wimpy one.
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Hello all

I am new to this group and I love using my dremel tool and was wondering
what all hobbies there are for metal working with a dremel tool.

Thanks in advance

Polishing, grinding & cutting. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a
file to a specific shape I needed. It was about 1/4" thick - not a
little wimpy one.

The cutoff wheels can be used for surprisingly large tasks - as long as you
have a steady hand, and don't let them bind, or try to force them.

Larry Jaques

On 04 Jan 2005 14:52:17 GMT, Ian Stirling
calmly ranted:

Polishing, grinding & cutting. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a
file to a specific shape I needed. It was about 1/4" thick - not a
little wimpy one.

The cutoff wheels can be used for surprisingly large tasks - as long as you
have a steady hand, and don't let them bind, or try to force them.

Gotcher gloves, flak jacket, face shield, and goggles on, fella?

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development

Ian Stirling

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 04 Jan 2005 14:52:17 GMT, Ian Stirling
calmly ranted:

Polishing, grinding & cutting. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a
file to a specific shape I needed. It was about 1/4" thick - not a
little wimpy one.

The cutoff wheels can be used for surprisingly large tasks - as long as you
have a steady hand, and don't let them bind, or try to force them.

Gotcher gloves, flak jacket, face shield, and goggles on, fella?

IMO, flak jacket is for when you do really stupid things with the
dremel.
Noticing that the sanding drum is just the size of a CD hole, and
putting on on, would count.

As other poster said too, earplugs good.
While hearing may not be immediately damaged, it's a good plan to
keep your hearing as long as possible.
Phil Stein

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 07:00:40 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 04 Jan 2005 14:52:17 GMT, Ian Stirling
calmly ranted:

Polishing, grinding & cutting. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a
file to a specific shape I needed. It was about 1/4" thick - not a
little wimpy one.

The cutoff wheels can be used for surprisingly large tasks - as long as you
have a steady hand, and don't let them bind, or try to force them.

Gotcher gloves, flak jacket, face shield, and goggles on, fella?

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development

Don't forget the dust mask.
Phil Stein

On 05 Jan 2005 22:46:53 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

As other poster said too, earplugs good.
While hearing may not be immediately damaged, it's a good plan to
keep your hearing as long as possible.

That depends on your wife. 8-)
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:38:46 -0500, Phil Stein
calmly ranted:

wrote:

On 04 Jan 2005 14:52:17 GMT, Ian Stirling
calmly ranted:

Polishing, grinding & cutting. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a
file to a specific shape I needed. It was about 1/4" thick - not a
little wimpy one.

The cutoff wheels can be used for surprisingly large tasks - as long as you
have a steady hand, and don't let them bind, or try to force them.

Gotcher gloves, flak jacket, face shield, and goggles on, fella?

Don't forget the dust mask.

True, and ear muffs, but we were talking about binding a disk in a
cut.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Ian Stirling

wrote:

As other poster said too, earplugs good.
While hearing may not be immediately damaged, it's a good plan to
keep your hearing as long as possible.

That depends on your wife. 8-)

Flesh-tone ear canal ones, job done.