B.B.

Default A Near-Death Experience

This was at my dad's work. They were moving an F-16 with a crane
when there was a loud pop. Naturally, they stopped the crane, and
unnaturally a bunch of people started walking around the plane to figure
out what had popped. Including roaming around beneath it.
Nobody found anything, so everyone got back and they started moving
the whole thing again. A second later, popoh****wham! F16 on the floor
with a few million in damage to it.
Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.
They're extremely lucky the thing didn't fall on those idiots under
it. At that time it was down to one half-sheared bolt holding up the
whole weight.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Jim Stewart

B.B. wrote:
This was at my dad's work. They were moving an F-16 with a crane
when there was a loud pop. Naturally, they stopped the crane, and
unnaturally a bunch of people started walking around the plane to figure
out what had popped. Including roaming around beneath it.
Nobody found anything, so everyone got back and they started moving
the whole thing again. A second later, popoh****wham! F16 on the floor
with a few million in damage to it.
Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.
They're extremely lucky the thing didn't fall on those idiots under
it. At that time it was down to one half-sheared bolt holding up the
whole weight.

God looks after fools and little children.

Ok, I'm getting old and times might have changed
since I was in the Army and used cranes. But back
then, the fastest way to get a sargent's boot up
your ass was to do something stupid safety-wise
like walk under a load.

Where were their heads at?

The whole thing would have been a non-incident
if they would have lowered the plane and inspected
the rigging at the first sign of a problem.

Tim Killian

It's fortunate that nobody was hurt. This reminds me of the yokels at
Lockheed who removed bolts holding a $240 million satellite to its
rotating support stand and forgot to tell anyone about it. Another crew
came in the next day and, without checking, decided to tip the stand 90
degrees -- bam!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

All in a day's work I suppose!

B.B. wrote:
This was at my dad's work. They were moving an F-16 with a crane
when there was a loud pop. Naturally, they stopped the crane, and
unnaturally a bunch of people started walking around the plane to figure
out what had popped. Including roaming around beneath it.
Nobody found anything, so everyone got back and they started moving
the whole thing again. A second later, popoh****wham! F16 on the floor
with a few million in damage to it.
Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.
They're extremely lucky the thing didn't fall on those idiots under
it. At that time it was down to one half-sheared bolt holding up the
whole weight.

Jon Elson

Tim Killian wrote:

It's fortunate that nobody was hurt. This reminds me of the yokels at
Lockheed who removed bolts holding a $240 million satellite to its
rotating support stand and forgot to tell anyone about it. Another
crew came in the next day and, without checking, decided to tip the
stand 90 degrees -- bam!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

That image is my wallpaper! It is good for a laugh when people who've
never seen it
come into my office. But, it is also good as a reminder of how badly
things can go wrong
when one is in a hurry!

Jon

Jon Elson

HaroldA102 wrote:

did it work after thay put it back together??

I think they are still working on the mess, and it may cost nearly as
much as
replacing the entire satellite to tear it down, send every part back to
the manufacturer
for a complete tear-down inspection and recertifying the component for
flight,
replacing the obviously damaged structural components, and then putting the
whole thing back together. Obviously, Lockheed Martin is going to lose
several hundred million $ on this incident.

Jon

HaroldA102

did it work after thay put it back together??
Mike Henry

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
This was at my dad's work. They were moving an F-16 with a crane
when there was a loud pop. Naturally, they stopped the crane, and
unnaturally a bunch of people started walking around the plane to figure
out what had popped. Including roaming around beneath it.
Nobody found anything, so everyone got back and they started moving
the whole thing again. A second later, popoh****wham! F16 on the floor
with a few million in damage to it.
Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.
They're extremely lucky the thing didn't fall on those idiots under
it. At that time it was down to one half-sheared bolt holding up the
whole weight.

A few weeks ago we had a seminar at work about counterfeit or improperly
specified parts. It started off with a video of a several hundred foot tall
radio tower that collapsed as it was being erected, taking 4 or 5 installers
with it. The image of those bodies falling stays with you a while. Later
inspection showed that counterfeit bolts had been used for key structural
elements.

That reminds me - I really ought to replace the bolts on that import engine
hoist in the garage.

Mike

Jeff Wisnia

B.B. wrote:

snipped

They're extremely lucky the thing didn't fall on those idiots under
it. At that time it was down to one half-sheared bolt holding up the
whole weight.

A developmentally delayed fellow enjoying himself at a carnival here in
Taxachusetts died this fall because some slob substituted an undersized
bolt holding on the side of the carnival ride car he was in. The bolt is
mentioned in this article.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...9/23/46240.htm

Other stories I've read about this accident went into more detail about
the bolt being much smaller than the OEM ones on all the other cars on
that ride.

They'll probably never nail the stupid ****e who did that, but some
insurance company is gonna shell out plenty I bet.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Randy Zimmerman

Accidents can happen so easily. A twenty plus ton load dropped about a foot
to the deck of the truck trailer last week. The sling chain snapped a link.
The trucker was crawling around underneath checking his trailer afterward
:'))
The guy on the pendant was standing on the deck about ten feet in front
of the thing when it let go. I was behind a large frame a safe distance but
did seethe flash of light as the link failed. No one was in line with the
chain as it flew around.
We have 23 more lifts like this one. We now have new half inch chain
instead of the 3/8 which was maxed out between the two cranes.
We also had been walking around grinding off weld scabs only a few
minutes before it was located over the trailer.
Randy

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
[...]

carl mciver

This one is not quite along the same lines, but nonetheless a very
interesting item with potential deadly consequences. I work for a very
large aircraft manufacturer. In the process of building widebody airplanes,
the front and back body sections are joined to the center body and wing
section in a huge jig called final body join. After the sections are slid
together and aligned, there are a number of titanium temporary fasteners
that are installed to keep anything from moving. It's called "pinning"
Sixteen or so pins, I think.
So, early one morning after an airplane had been joined and pinned,
someone (well, the story seems to change slightly depending on who you hear
it from!) decided to jack the tail up six inches. Okay, so here's a rather
long airplane and the leverage exerted from about a hundred feet back on
three varied aluminum alloy layers, none more than a quarter of an inch
thick is pretty incredible. Can you imagine what happened next?
Up until this point, I had never seen a bent titanium fastener of this
type. Not just bent once, but dog-legged. Well, I'm told by those that
were walking around at the time that it sounded like popcorn or .22 rounds
going off, and these fasteners came flying out a rather great velocities.
People were diving all over the place to avoid something they had no clue
about. The skin material next to the holes was swaged/squashed up and/or
pulled "long" and when the strain was too much, the "nuts" on the pins gave
way, letting these things fly. The damage was so extensive they went ahead
and finished building the plane, stuck together with a few hundred temporary
bolts, then when done down the line, they pulled it aside and replaced
several million dollars worth of skin panels and underlying structure.
Pretty incredible what it looked like, being able to see all the way through
the plane to the other side, with nothing but the skeleton seeming to hold
it together.

"B.B." u wrote in message
news | This was at my dad's work. They were moving an F-16 with a crane
| when there was a loud pop. Naturally, they stopped the crane, and
| unnaturally a bunch of people started walking around the plane to figure
| out what had popped. Including roaming around beneath it.
| Nobody found anything, so everyone got back and they started moving
| the whole thing again. A second later, popoh****wham! F16 on the floor
| with a few million in damage to it.
| Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
| ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
| connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
| gave way.
| They're extremely lucky the thing didn't fall on those idiots under
| it. At that time it was down to one half-sheared bolt holding up the
| whole weight.
|
| --
| B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail dot net
| http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

John Ings

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:04:43 -0600, "B.B."
u wrote:

Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.

Um. After maintenance don't you stress test your cranes with a max
load of test weights?

B.B.

. ru wrote:

Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.

Um. After maintenance don't you stress test your cranes with a max
load of test weights?

I really don't know. Like I said, it was at my dad's work--not mine.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
gcash

Tim Killian writes:

It's fortunate that nobody was hurt. This reminds me of the yokels at
Lockheed who removed bolts holding a $240 million satellite to its rotating
support stand and forgot to tell anyone about it. Another crew came in the
next day and, without checking, decided to tip the stand 90 degrees -- bam!

NOAA-N-Prime. They bolted it to the adapter, but didn't notice the adapter
wasn't bolted to the turnover cart, after it'd been borrowed by the DMSP
folks. Oops.

Check out http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=15189 which has the
final report. "We recommend ass beatings all around but it won't change a
thing"

"The Technician Supervisor even commented that there were empty bolt holes,
the rest of the team and the RTE in particular dismissed the comment and did
not pursue the issue further. Finally, the lead technician and the Product
Assurance (PA) inspector committed violations in signing off the TOC
verification procedure step without personally conducting or witnessing the
operation. The MIB found such violations were routinely practiced."

"The MIB finds the LMSSC system safety program to be very ineffective. Few
resources are allocated to system safety, few requirements for safety
oversight exist and little programmatic supervision was provided for the
safety representatives."

"Also, some team members were notified as late as quitting time the day before
the operation that they were to perform the next day."

Gee Golly! That's NEVER happened to me!!

-gc

--
Christmas is weird. What other time of the year do you sit in front of
a dead tree and eat candy out of your socks?
Old Nick

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:13:18 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

A developmentally delayed fellow enjoying himself at a carnival here in
Taxachusetts died this fall because some slob substituted an undersized
bolt holding on the side of the carnival ride car he was in. The bolt is
mentioned in this article.

And "The Sizzler fatality was the second amusement ride death in
Massachusetts this year. A 55-year-old man with cerebral palsy was
thrown from a roller coaster at Six Flags New England in Agawam in
May."

Seems like riding funfairs is _un_fair, if you are already suffering
from nature-inflicted debilities. Talk about kick a guy when he's
down!

Steve

"B.B." u wrote in message
news

.ru wrote:

Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.

Um. After maintenance don't you stress test your cranes with a max
load of test weights?

Not been near cranes for over twenty five years now and even before that
Cranes had to have a test certificate so had any chains or wire ropes used
for lifting purposes. No test certificate, no insurance. These had to be
renewed annually. But that was in the UK.

Steve

Stephen Young

Mike Henry wrote:

A few weeks ago we had a seminar at work about counterfeit or improperly
specified parts. It started off with a video of a several hundred foot tall
radio tower that collapsed as it was being erected, taking 4 or 5 installers
with it. The image of those bodies falling stays with you a while. Later
inspection showed that counterfeit bolts had been used for key structural
elements.

That reminds me - I really ought to replace the bolts on that import engine
hoist in the garage.

Mike

It's all part of some manager's master plan to save a couple bucks to
make himself look better to investors. Gotta justify your existence right?
John Ings

On 27 Dec 2004 23:51:02 GMT, "Steve"
wrote:

Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.

Um. After maintenance don't you stress test your cranes with a max
load of test weights?

Not been near cranes for over twenty five years now and even before that
Cranes had to have a test certificate so had any chains or wire ropes used
for lifting purposes. No test certificate, no insurance. These had to be
renewed annually. But that was in the UK.

Where I worked, we had sets of 45 gallon oil drums filled with
concrete rigged up to test cranes at max load. It was a hassle
bringing them into the clean room but cranes that had undergone
maintenance dang well got tested before they were trusted with a
satellite.

Backlash

If that's the tower that collapsed in Texas, a friend of mine, Cowboy was
his nickname, was one of the flyers, rest his soul. That was to be one of
the tallest towers in the world, if I remember correctly.
Seems like at the time, someone calculated the time it took them to hit the
ground at something like 9 or more seconds, enough time to think about it.

RJ

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

B.B. wrote:

This was at my dad's work. They were moving an F-16 with a crane
when there was a loud pop. Naturally, they stopped the crane, and
unnaturally a bunch of people started walking around the plane to figure
out what had popped. Including roaming around beneath it.
Nobody found anything, so everyone got back and they started moving
the whole thing again. A second later, popoh****wham! F16 on the floor
with a few million in damage to it.
Turns out when they recently overhauled the cranes there someone
ordered a wrong bolt--was off by one line in the chart. So the
connection between the hook and the pulleys wasn't strong enough and
gave way.
They're extremely lucky the thing didn't fall on those idiots under
it. At that time it was down to one half-sheared bolt holding up the
whole weight.

Sounds a little hard to believe.

How high did they hoist the plane to move it!

Is this another 5mph bumper issue - I'd think a plane like the F-16 could
be dropped 5' and not take it in the tires and shocks ?!

I thought it was Aircraft Carrier rated !

I believe about the bolt - any day - that is critical today - and to many
young people don't know or don't realize the life and death issue because.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

gcash

John Ings writes:

Where I worked, we had sets of 45 gallon oil drums filled with concrete
rigged up to test cranes at max load. It was a hassle bringing them into the
clean room but cranes that had undergone maintenance dang well got tested
before they were trusted with a satellite.

I think it's in "Chariots for Apollo" but there's a story of when they were
about to crate one of the Lunar Modules.

The crane crew insisted on a test, and the NASA manager is bitching about the
delay, when WHAM!! the crane drops the test load. The foreman just looks at
the NASA guy and walks off.

-gc

--
Christmas is weird. What other time of the year do you sit in front of
a dead tree and eat candy out of your socks?
-- (alt.gothic)
Leon Heller

"B.B." u wrote in message
[...]

This story isn't safety related, but is quite funny. When I worked for BAe
Military Aircraft at Brough some years ago they supplied McDonnell-Douglas
in the US with several wings for the Harriers they were making under
license. When the wings were offered up to a fuselage it was found that the
fixing holes in the wings and the fuselage didn't match up! It was actually
BAe's fault, and the wings had to be returned to our factory at great
expense and reworked.

Leon Heller

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
It's fortunate that nobody was hurt. This reminds me of the yokels at
Lockheed who removed bolts holding a $240 million satellite to its
rotating support stand and forgot to tell anyone about it. Another crew
came in the next day and, without checking, decided to tip the stand 90
degrees -- bam!

When I worked for Rank-Xerox, we refurbished a Copyflo machine (a large
microfilm printer). It took several months of work and cost a lot of money.
The delivery truck was backed in with the roller shutter part way down, the
machine was loaded and tied down, and the truck went on its way.
Unfortunately, no-one had thought to raise the shutter to clear the machine,
and it ended up on the floor, completely wrecked.

Leon

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:29:04 +0800, Old Nick
calmly ranted:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:13:18 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

A developmentally delayed fellow enjoying himself at a carnival here in
Taxachusetts died this fall because some slob substituted an undersized
bolt holding on the side of the carnival ride car he was in. The bolt is
mentioned in this article.

And "The Sizzler fatality was the second amusement ride death in
Massachusetts this year. A 55-year-old man with cerebral palsy was
thrown from a roller coaster at Six Flags New England in Agawam in
May."

Seems like riding funfairs is _un_fair, if you are already suffering
from nature-inflicted debilities. Talk about kick a guy when he's
down!

So shall they indict the stupidvisors who took these folks there
instead of the Fair owners, or in addition to them?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Leon Heller" wrote:

This story isn't safety related, but is quite funny. When I worked for BAe
Military Aircraft at Brough some years ago they supplied McDonnell-Douglas
in the US with several wings for the Harriers they were making under
license. When the wings were offered up to a fuselage it was found that the
fixing holes in the wings and the fuselage didn't match up! It was actually
BAe's fault, and the wings had to be returned to our factory at great
expense and reworked.

Worst I saw was at Cape Canaveral, the Apollo fuel cells ($1M ea) were
wired to an external connector and the GSE had the opposite polarity -
design error. Instantly blew 3 fuel cells.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Hitch

"B.B." u wrote in
[...]

I had a similar incident happen to me, albeit miniscule in comparison. I
was trying to remove one of my upper kitchen cabinets. I had taken out all
of the visible screws, but the cabinet wouldn't budge. I pulled on it,
pushed on it, and banged on it, but it was stuck. I stepped back to think
where the hidden screws might be, and WHAM! the thing fell right off the
wall.

--
John Snow
"Pull hard and it comes easy"
Joe AutoDrill

Does coming down a loading ramp in a forklift at a high rate of speed and
riding a turn for a good 20 feet on two side wheels only count? Been there,
done that... I was something like 8 or 10 or maybe 12 years old at best.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Jim Stewart

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Does coming down a loading ramp in a forklift at a high rate of speed and
riding a turn for a good 20 feet on two side wheels only count? Been there,
done that... I was something like 8 or 10 or maybe 12 years old at best.

Only if the 'near death' part was
when your dad found out (:

Joe AutoDrill

Does coming down a loading ramp in a forklift at a high rate of speed and
riding a turn for a good 20 feet on two side wheels only count? Been
there, done that... I was something like 8 or 10 or maybe 12 years old
at best.

Only if the 'near death' part was
when your dad found out (:

If he wasn't there watching it happen, then I wouldn't have even known I did
it... He yanked me off the thing. His hair as been white ever since...
See him in the black and yellow jacket he

http://www.polarbeargrandtour.com/sch0410.jpg

See how white that hair is? Also, my mom is smilinmg at the camera too in
case anyone with a desire to know wanted to know... or something like that.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

carl mciver

No, but it puts you in the running for Darwin Awards!

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in
message ...
| Does coming down a loading ramp in a forklift at a high rate of speed and
| riding a turn for a good 20 feet on two side wheels only count? Been
there,
| done that... I was something like 8 or 10 or maybe 12 years old at best.
|
| Regards,
| Joe Agro, Jr.
| http://www.autodrill.com
| http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
|
| V8013

Dave Hinz

On 29 Dec 2004 20:10:08 GMT, Ignoramus25177 wrote:
I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various
things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction
into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe
and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely
lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on
rigging methods.

I have (but not here) a small handbook called "The Rigger's Handbook".
Tons of good real-life information in there. We got it where I used to
work, when we took a crane safety course. Maybe someone here knows the
book.

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On 29 Dec 2004 21:14:28 GMT, Ignoramus25177 wrote:
On 29 Dec 2004 20:55:45 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I have (but not here) a small handbook called "The Rigger's Handbook".
Tons of good real-life information in there. We got it where I used to
work, when we took a crane safety course. Maybe someone here knows the
book.

Is it this one?
http://www.hanessupply.com/images/RiggersPDF_200406.pdf

No, but it has at least some information amongst the sales crap.

I am confused, is that a sales brochure or a rigger's handbook?

Looks like a little of both. Not the one I was thinking, but probably
worth printing.

Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz

On 29 Dec 2004 21:31:49 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On 29 Dec 2004 21:14:28 GMT, Ignoramus25177 wrote:

Is it this one?
http://www.hanessupply.com/images/RiggersPDF_200406.pdf

No, but it has at least some information amongst the sales crap.

images.google.com to the rescue. I put in "handbook riggers" (without quotes)
and found it he
http://www.sapsis-rigging.com/Mercha...gory_Co de=30
(watch the wrap on the URL)

Probably other sources, but this is the first URL that google could find
with a picture of it. Was a great book when I got it a dozen years ago,
would surprise me if it's not still great.

Dave Hinz

Larry Jaques

On 29 Dec 2004 20:10:08 GMT, Ignoramus25177
calmly ranted:

I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various
things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction
into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe
and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely
lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on
rigging methods.

Señor Thompson here has a CD which contains a rigging book.
I bought a bunch of them and they're pretty cool. Ask him
for the r.c.m. discount, too, Iggy.

http://www.plansandprojects.com/

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Sunworshipper

On 29 Dec 2004 18:38:11 GMT, Hitch wrote:

[...]

LOL , that only happens to me when I try for hours or days to take
something apart and then get another person to try.

I had a friend in SA Tx. that would come over and I could ask her
where my keys, glasses, or an object that isn't used much were hiding
from me and she would know !

I've about bought it from everything under the sun. One time while on
a road trip across the country at 3am the highway shifted between
maybe 3-4 missing concrete berms. Someone must have taken out the
signs cause the lane just ended with a pile of gravel. If it wasn't
for the guitarist friend watching and pushing on the steering wheel
it would have been over. Still, almost caught the blunt end of the
concrete barrier at 80 mph.

wrote:

I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various
things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction
into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe
and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely
lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on
rigging methods.

You are a very wise man. Most of us don't bother to learn about such
things until after our first accident.

--RC (who would also like a guide to "Rigging For Idiots And English
Majors")
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Jon Elson

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
B.B. wrote:

[...]

No, the F-16 is Air Force only. The F-18 IS carrier rated, and has a
VERY sophisticated "grasshopper" landing gear system to handle a 40,000
Lb aircraft making such a hard landing repeatedly. Also, in production,
the F16 in question may not have had landing gear installed at that
stage of assembly.

Jon

Martin H. Eastburn

Jon Elson wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

B.B. wrote:

[...]

I think the story is bogus or the term F-16 is misused. e.g. if a wing only
chunk of airplane was being transported - e.g. only the wing - it isn't an F-16
and can't 'land' at any speed by itself.

Now if my crane thought head is on, there would be a cable down to a hook,
the interface to a spreading Bar and then two points (or a spreading T four points)
of attachment to the plane. If a bolt in one of the sub points - holding one end
of the plane - and it did a nose drop or a tail drop - then an F-16 could be
valid and just a rookie on crane technology and drop terminology.

IIRC, the F-16 was rated for large carrier emergency landings. Useful in special op
returns when air refuel is not timely or possible or viable.

Martin

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Martin H. Eastburn

Dave Hinz wrote:

On 29 Dec 2004 20:10:08 GMT, Ignoramus25177 wrote:

I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various
things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction
into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe
and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely
lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on
rigging methods.

I have (but not here) a small handbook called "The Rigger's Handbook".
Tons of good real-life information in there. We got it where I used to
work, when we took a crane safety course. Maybe someone here knows the
book.

Dave Hinz

http://www.ivestraining.com/riggers-handbook.php
Order blank on the bottom of the page.