Martin H. Eastburn

Dave Hinz wrote:

On 29 Dec 2004 20:10:08 GMT, Ignoramus25177 wrote:

I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various
things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction
into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe
and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely
lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on
rigging methods.

I have (but not here) a small handbook called "The Rigger's Handbook".
Tons of good real-life information in there. We got it where I used to
work, when we took a crane safety course. Maybe someone here knows the
book.

Dave Hinz

http://www.hanessupply.com/images/RiggersPDF_200406.pdf pdf 148 pages

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Gunner

wrote:

I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various
things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction
into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe
and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely
lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on
rigging methods.

http://www.logbuilding.org/Hoists.ch3.pdf

http://www.logbuilding.org/GinPoles.ch5.pdf

http://www.logbuilding.org/Anchors%26Guys.ch4.pdf

Hunt around on the internet for Rigging, TM 5-725 the US Army manual
on all such matters. It can be found via PDF format for free
downloading.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

F-16's are moved by a pair of monorail cabs working in tandem. Both
cabs are rated at 15,000+ # working load. The lift is done by a single
bridle from each cab with a spacer bar to assure a vertical lift on
each lead. The fuselage at that point has the gear installed but no
wings or stabilators. It is lowered onto a special dolly for the rest
of it's time in the factory. When it moves to the paint shop and on to
the flight line, it's completely on it's gear. Going back to 1986, I
only know of one complete airframe ever being dropped and that was one
in the ground vibration test rig. It fell when there was an equipment
failure in the test rig.

Craig C.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:29:54 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
calmly ranted:

http://www.hanessupply.com/images/RiggersPDF_200406.pdf pdf 148 pages

The last 20 or so of the 148 pages look like rigger's info, but the
pictures of all the rigging toys makes it an interesting read.

The Rigging Manual that Robert sells on CD is an Army manual.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Backlash

Find someone working a construction job as a millwright, a rigger, or as an
ironworker, and they are sure to have access to "The Rigger's Handbook",
that you could surely get for a beer or two.

RJ

"Ignoramus25177" wrote in message
I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various
things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction
into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe
and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely
lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on
rigging methods.

axolotl

Ignoramus25901 wrote:

thanks, good stuff. Will look for that manual.

http://atiam.train.army.mil/portal/application?namespace=viewdoc&origin=mil.army.atsc .ptas.atia.servlet.viewdoc.ViewDocServlet.servlet& event=select.page&action=altfmt&docId=296944-1

Kevin Gallimore

Larry Jaques

Ignoramus25901 wrote:

thanks, good stuff. Will look for that manual.

http://atiam.train.army.mil/portal/application?namespace=viewdoc&origin=mil.army.atsc .ptas.atia.servlet.viewdoc.ViewDocServlet.servlet& event=select.page&action=altfmt&docId=296944-1

I stumbled upon an Audel Millwright's and Mechanic's Guide at the
library last week and had a chance to look at it last night.
There's a lot of info stuffed into a 5x7x3" book of 952 pages!

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Peter T. Keillor III

wrote:

Ignoramus25901 wrote:

thanks, good stuff. Will look for that manual.

http://atiam.train.army.mil/portal/application?namespace=viewdoc&origin=mil.army.atsc .ptas.atia.servlet.viewdoc.ViewDocServlet.servlet& event=select.page&action=altfmt&docId=296944-1

Kevin Gallimore

I think I have a copy of the Rigger's Handbook at work. I'll check
tomorrow, and note the publisher, etc.

I had the safety contact get some when we set up the new warehouse.
The lead guy had a 2 ton electric chain fall put in to lift heads and
agitators off our small vessels. It was obvious none of the techs (or
engineers for that matter) knew any of the requirements about tagged
and inspected lifting equipment, knowing loads, working limits on
chokes, etc.

I think I've written here before about getting a rude education in the
importance of proper rigging when the techs on another project dropped
a 5-1/2 ton cell hatch cover about 3 ft. away from me. Got my
attention.

Pete Keillor

Ignoramus25901 wrote:

thanks, good stuff. Will look for that manual.

http://atiam.train.army.mil/portal/application?namespace=viewdoc&origin=mil.army.atsc .ptas.atia.servlet.viewdoc.ViewDocServlet.servlet& event=select.page&action=altfmt&docId=296944-1

I stumbled upon an Audel Millwright's and Mechanic's Guide at the
library last week and had a chance to look at it last night.
There's a lot of info stuffed into a 5x7x3" book of 952 pages!

The Audel's guides are full of good stuff. Best of all, you can often
pick them up cheap in used book stores. I'm not sure I'd follow the
practices recommended in their Electrician's Guides (from the 50s or
before) but the others are extremely useful.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:41:33 -0500, Peter T. Keillor III
wrote:

I think I've written here before about getting a rude education in the
importance of proper rigging when the techs on another project dropped
a 5-1/2 ton cell hatch cover about 3 ft. away from me. Got my
attention.

Try dropping a 250 pound welded steel, rectangular cover into a
congested high voltage manhole. The delicate touch takes on a whole
new meaning.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

wrote:

I stumbled upon an Audel Millwright's and Mechanic's Guide at the
library last week and had a chance to look at it last night.
There's a lot of info stuffed into a 5x7x3" book of 952 pages!

My copy is the 1945 reprint of the 1940 edition - a fascinating 1167
page book!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Peter T. Keillor III

wrote:

I think I've written here before about getting a rude education in the
importance of proper rigging when the techs on another project dropped
a 5-1/2 ton cell hatch cover about 3 ft. away from me. Got my
attention.

Try dropping a 250 pound welded steel, rectangular cover into a
congested high voltage manhole. The delicate touch takes on a whole
new meaning.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Yikes! That'll give you religion.

Must've been like the time the rural distribution power line finally
arced out after the pole burned for a while after a lightning strike.
I was a teenager, and was in our barn when I heard something that
sounded like the world's biggest arc welder. When I ran outside, the
thing was throwing huge pink and green discharges (copper plasma?) all
over the place. I took off the other way, scooted through the barbed
wire fence and kept running until the line burned in two and fell on
the ground.

I had heard horror stories from my great uncle about high tension
lines arcing out and flying around, cutting down everything in their
path. Supposedly happened down the road at Hoskins Mound, a sulfur
mine active in the first half of the century. I wasn't sticking
around to see if they were true.

Pete Keillor

Jeff Wisnia

Leon Heller wrote:
When I worked for Rank-Xerox, we refurbished a Copyflo machine (a large
microfilm printer). It took several months of work and cost a lot of money.
The delivery truck was backed in with the roller shutter part way down, the
machine was loaded and tied down, and the truck went on its way.
Unfortunately, no-one had thought to raise the shutter to clear the machine,
and it ended up on the floor, completely wrecked.

Leon

I'm not sure I got this right...Which was the "it" in your last
sentence.....

Was it the machine which got damaged and did the loading guys just say
"fuhgedit" and leave it for the customer to discover?

Or was the "roller shutter" part of the loading dock and that was what
got wrecked when the truck backed in to pick up the load?

(America and Britain...two countries separated by a common language...)

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

I think I've written here before about getting a rude education in the
importance of proper rigging when the techs on another project dropped
a 5-1/2 ton cell hatch cover about 3 ft. away from me. Got my
attention.

Try dropping a 250 pound welded steel, rectangular cover into a
congested high voltage manhole. The delicate touch takes on a whole
new meaning.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I thought that mostly always made manhole covers round because that
shape COULDN'T fall into the hole*, with the side benefit that you can
easily roll them on the pavement when moving them.

Or maybe that wasn't THE manhole's cover you dropped in, but the cover
to something that belonged down there.

Jeff

*An equalateral triangle shape wouldn't fall through either, but it'd
look stupid and not be very efficient.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:19:05 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Try dropping a 250 pound welded steel, rectangular cover into a
congested high voltage manhole. The delicate touch takes on a whole
new meaning.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I thought that mostly always made manhole covers round because that
shape COULDN'T fall into the hole*, with the side benefit that you can
easily roll them on the pavement when moving them.

Or maybe that wasn't THE manhole's cover you dropped in, but the cover
to something that belonged down there.

This was a field produced item where a standard airfield drainage MH
frame was put on the electrical MH and the heavy grating provided with
a solid cover plate welded on. Unfortunately, the lifting method
proved inadequate, and when the cover dropped it did so at an angle to
the opening. Fortunately, no damage occurred.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Terry Collins

Stephen Young wrote:

It's all part of some manager's master plan to save a couple bucks to
make himself look better to investors. Gotta justify your existence right?

I don't know what hospitals in the USA are like, but most of the ones
I've been inside in the last couple of years look very close to being
dirtier that some factory places I've seen. Lots of small maintenance
jobs are also not being done. No wonder they are admitting that 1 in 10
people leave hospital in a worse situation than when they entered (NSW
Australia)