Default 8520 Clausing vs BP

I already have a full size J Head Bridgeport. My workplace is silent
auctioning a very nice little Clausing 8520 mill. Only one collet(M2,
but I have a full set at home). Comes with a manual, and small vice.

The question: Does this little mill offer me anything over my
Bridgeport?

If I had something fixtured up on the BP I wouldn't have to change it,
but being a hobbyist, this is not a huge concern.

JW

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
wrote:
I already have a full size J Head Bridgeport. My workplace is silent
auctioning a very nice little Clausing 8520 mill. Only one collet(M2,
but I have a full set at home). Comes with a manual, and small vice.

The question: Does this little mill offer me anything over my
Bridgeport?

Space? (If you replace rather than augment your Bridgeport).

Convenience (if you already have something set up on the
Bridgeport, and you need to make an extra part for the fixture.

Slightly lower power consumption?

Perhaps a little easier to use for small workpieces and cutters?

Particularly nice, if you need to make a part to repair the
Bridgeport.

You could get a reasonable amount of money for it, if you wanted
to sell it to another hobbyist who has less space.

If I had something fixtured up on the BP I wouldn't have to change it,
but being a hobbyist, this is not a huge concern.

How much space do you have? Enough to handle both the Bridgy
and the Clausing?

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

I have considered the option of purchasing for the only real intent of
reselling it. I would feel a little guilty about buying it just for
that reason. I know two other employees are looking at it pretty
intently and I would feel bad about reselling it underneath them.

JW

Mike Henry

wrote in message
oups.com...
I already have a full size J Head Bridgeport. My workplace is silent
auctioning a very nice little Clausing 8520 mill. Only one collet(M2,
but I have a full set at home). Comes with a manual, and small vice.

The question: Does this little mill offer me anything over my
Bridgeport?

If I had something fixtured up on the BP I wouldn't have to change it,
but being a hobbyist, this is not a huge concern.

I really like my 8520 but am hard pressed to see any advantages of it over a
Bridgeport especially one you already have.

The 8520 would make a dandy drill press or tapping station, though.

Too_Many_Tools

I would suggest another possible option....buy it for your retirement
years.

As we grow older, we tend to move to smaller and smaller homes. That
means smaller tools too.

I have seen many people retire and then realize that they need to
retool for their smaller shops. Many people retire and move south where
basements tend to be the exception and not the norm. Moving from a
large shop to a smaller shop is traumatic enough....selling your HSM
tools and buying less than adequate replacements will darn near kill
you. Years go by quickly and that small mill squirreled away for those
golden years may be one of the best investments you will make. Also
since this mill has not been made for decades, it will only be harder
and harder to find years from now when you might want one.

Consider when was the last time you came across a small mill in good
shape? I can measure that time in a significant number of years. I
would rather spend those golden years making chips than hunting for
that perfect mill I had then sold to make a few bucks.
The less time you have left, the more precious that time becomes.

TMT

No offense, but retirement is a LONG ways off for me. I can only think
of one other poster I have seen on here that is younger than I(and that
isn't by much).

It's a good suggestion however.

Thanks

JW

Too_Many_Tools

None taken ;).

The reason why I mention it is I have found it takes time....alot of
time to find a good set of smaller tools at a reasonable price.

I consider it is the old time versus money thing.

If you keep your eyes open over a significant amount of time, you will
find what you want at the price you want to pay. If you want it sooner,
then it will cost you more money...that is if you can find it.

At a LARGE American corporation, records show that retirees die on the
average of THREE years after their retirement. They have good pensions
and a well paid retiree medical plan so it is not for the lack of
income or services. When one considers that the golden years can be
short, I for one plan on making chips and not going to auction after
auction looking for the tool I once had.

We all put away money for old age. It makes sense to set aside a few
good tools for that retirement day also.

TMT

If you keep your eyes open over a significant amount of time, you will
find what you want at the price you want to pay. If you want it sooner,
then it will cost you more money...that is if you can find it.

A truer statement would be hard to find. You are definitely right
about this.

At a LARGE American corporation, records show that retirees die on the
average of THREE years after their retirement.

A large part of this is people retire and don't know what to do. They
putter around watching tv, etc and have sense of purpose. Even more
significantly contributive is the death of a spouse. I don't have an
exact number but I think it's pretty close to within a year. Those of
us that retire with a purpose will probably be in that group that live
20 years into retirement.

FWIW: They just opened up the bid box. High bid was $1696. A fair
price, but more than I would(at this time) be willing to pay.

JW

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:02:56 GMT
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On 17 Dec 2004 06:01:16 -0800, wrote:

If you keep your eyes open over a significant amount of time, you will
find what you want at the price you want to pay. If you want it sooner,
then it will cost you more money...that is if you can find it.

A truer statement would be hard to find. You are definitely right
about this.

At a LARGE American corporation, records show that retirees die on the
average of THREE years after their retirement.

An article about "Super geriatric CEOS" (Men in their 80s, still
working or running the company) in Forbes a decade or so back, had one CEO
say he didn't retire because he didn't want to become an alcoholic. From
Memory: "People retire and move to Florida. The first year they play golf
all day, and have cocktails at five. The Second year, they play golf only
in the morning, and start drinking after lunch. By the third year, they
don't even get the clubs out, and just start drinking first thing."

A large part of this is people retire and don't know what to do. They
putter around watching tv, etc and have sense of purpose. Even more
significantly contributive is the death of a spouse. I don't have an
exact number but I think it's pretty close to within a year. Those of
us that retire with a purpose will probably be in that group that live
20 years into retirement.

My dad retired about 10 yrs ago. Mom crossed over 4 yrs ago.
Besides cowboy action shooting, bench rest shooting, he has just
taken up golf. He is continuing the Snow Bird routine he and mom did,
and last time I talked to him, he was in Florida getting the
Freightliner ready to pull the RV to Texas.
I think he will out live me....tough old ******* G

My Dad might. He's retire twice already. His wife told him that if he
does again, she'll moider him. (They are against divorce) Seems that
after he "retires", he gets involved in something which makes him busier
than ever before. He's too busy to retire, and if he were to die, who'd
take care of his wife and daughter?

--
pyotr filipivich

That sounds about like my grandfather. He "retired" in the early 70s.
After that he took his hobby of draft horses to a professional level.
If any of you are into draft horses, Percherons in particular, you
would know who he is. He ended up breeding two national champion
horses and several top contenders. He had a definite eye for taking an
otherwise average mare and with the proper stallion coming up with a
national champion level colt.

He passed away a few years back(at the age of 88), and sadly none of us
has anywhere near the talent with horses that he did. I understand the
mechanics of it, but he understood the art of it.

My dad, although a different passion, will probably end up down a
similar path. He is now semi-retired, and yet I think is busier than
he was before retiring.

Of course, both being of a farming background their isn't that magic
retirement date. You don't just one day clean out the desk and go
home.

JW

Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio

My dad saw boss after boss pass on a few years after retirement. So he
retired at 55 (or tried to it was 57 by the time he got out). Now at
84 (two days ago) he still travels to timeshare locations, visits family
and writes code. He started a software company when he retired. He closed
it down 10 years after when he moved to a new state. Tx to Az. Now he
has G size trains, enrolled in multiple classes and teaches 1. He is
far to active. Mom crossed over this last year.

I'm in the process of semi-retirement now myself.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gerald Miller

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:48:17 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

My dad saw boss after boss pass on a few years after retirement. So he
retired at 55 (or tried to it was 57 by the time he got out). Now at
84 (two days ago) he still travels to timeshare locations, visits family
and writes code. He started a software company when he retired. He closed
it down 10 years after when he moved to a new state. Tx to Az. Now he
has G size trains, enrolled in multiple classes and teaches 1. He is
far to active. Mom crossed over this last year.

I'm in the process of semi-retirement now myself.

Martin

I got bought out at 55 at a little less than half pay, but considering
deductions and the cost of working more than 100 miles from where I
chose to remain living after a job relocation, I didn't take much of a
cut in net income. Ten years later, and I still haven't discovered how
I ever found time to work in a position with such a bunch of over
educated, uninteligent stuffed shirts. I am certain that I could play
in my shop 80 hours per week and still learn something new every day.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

wrote:

[...]

If I'm very fortunate I'm never going to retire. It's too much fun if
you're self-employed and doing something you really love doing.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent