Woody

Default Kurt Vise for Clausing 8520

Its time for a new vise for my Clausing knee mill. Has anyone used a
6" Kurt on a 8520? I know a 5" would probably be the better choice
but the cost is prohibitive and they rarely show up on ebay.

Thanks for the help, please reply to group
Woody
Dave Ficken

Abrasha wrote in message
A 3" would be a lot better, but these are very difficult to find used. New they
cost a small fortune.

The good news is that Clones of the 3" Kurt are currently available
for around a hundred bucks.

Regards,
Dave
Doozer

Abrasha wrote in message ...
Woody wrote:

Its time for a new vise for my Clausing knee mill. Has anyone used a
6" Kurt on a 8520? I know a 5" would probably be the better choice
but the cost is prohibitive and they rarely show up on ebay.

Thanks for the help, please reply to group
Woody

I have a 4" Kurt on my Clausing 8520, and it's absolutely huge. The absolute
maximum this machine can take.

A 3" would be a lot better, but these are very difficult to find used. New they
cost a small fortune.

I have an 8520 with a 5" Kurt copy and I think it is the maximun size
for this mill. One thing I had to do to make it fit, was mill off the
coolant trough at the rear of the vise. It would hit the column when
the Y was cranked all the way in. Machining it off is easy. I clamped
the vise to the mill table hanging off the rear edge. The fixed jaw
was clamping on the table surface, and the movable jaw was clamping on
the X table way sliding surface. The vise screw is parallel with the
spindle. This allows end milling for removal of this coolant trough
and I fly-cut the final amount for a nice finish. That ductile iron
sure cuts nice. By the way, I bought this vise through Penn Tool. It
is a copy of a Kurt 5", made by Auto-Well in Tiawain. I must profess
that the quality and accuracy is excellent. I think I paid $265 a
couple years ago. The Y travel on the clausing is slightly less than
5" and that is almost what that vise will open, so I conclude this is
a good size for a clausing. A 6" would definately hit the column. I
just want a 3" though, cause they are so cute. I gotta get out more.
--Doozer in Buffalo