gradstdnt

Default Moving a knee mill into basement

I put some pictures in the dropbox that outline the process I used to
move
a Supermax YCM-40 CNC knee mill into my basement. This is a beefier
version of
a Bridgeport with bigger base, saddle, knee, and box ways. The head is
also
solidly attached to the ram so it went down as one piece. A Brideport
would have
been easier since you can handle the head and ram seperately. Total
machine
weight with control is approx 3000lbs. The base being the biggest is
probably
close to 1000 lbs. I don't have a walkout basement so it all went
through my
front door and down a flight of stairs. This basically answers the age
old
question of "can I move a Bridgeport into my basement". The response
should be
how bad do you want one down there? The move went very smoothly and
without issue.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ Mill_to_Basement

Fifteen pictures posted of Mill to Basement. Pictures 11 through 15
kind of got
lost a tad bit down the list.

Pete C.

It looks like maneuvering the gantry through the house without putting
it through a wall was the most difficult part of the move. The first few
pics look more like a "how to build a really overkill battering ram"
tutorial.

Pete C.

gradstdnt wrote:

[...]

Bob Chilcoat

I gotta admire your SO. She must be very understanding. Perhaps you did it
while she was out. Mine would not sit still for such a process through the
front hall. OTOH, she helped me get the Drill Mill into the basement and
set up, so she's not all that obstructive.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

gradstdnt wrote:

[...]

"gradstdnt" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
I put some pictures in the dropbox that outline the process I used to
move
a Supermax YCM-40 CNC knee mill into my basement.

Interesting project...

Wanna fly over to Denmark and help move something similar to a 4th floor
appartment w. no elevator? :-)

One comment tho: http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...o_Basement.jpg
You are lifting this with ratchet straps.. This is NOT a good idea.. Ratchet
straps are designed to tie a load down ( on a flatbed truck for example )...
The solution is to use the ratchet straps to strap the mill to the skids and
use real slings ( or chain ) to do the lift..

Good luck w. the mill

/peter

Pete C.

The straps doing the lift look like the 2" ratchet straps which have
something like a 10,000# rating so they are probably ok, and they aren't
lifting it very high. Of course a "real" 10' double eye lifting sling
costs about the same as those straps and would probably be better.

Pete C.

Q wrote:

"gradstdnt" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
I put some pictures in the dropbox that outline the process I used to
move
a Supermax YCM-40 CNC knee mill into my basement.

Interesting project...

Wanna fly over to Denmark and help move something similar to a 4th floor
appartment w. no elevator? :-)

One comment tho: http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...o_Basement.jpg
You are lifting this with ratchet straps.. This is NOT a good idea.. Ratchet
straps are designed to tie a load down ( on a flatbed truck for example )...
The solution is to use the ratchet straps to strap the mill to the skids and
use real slings ( or chain ) to do the lift..

Good luck w. the mill

/peter

Tim Killian

Thanks for the pictures! You're living proof that we're limited mainly
by our preconceptions and fears.

If it were me, I'd have hired a contractor to cut a hole in the basement
wall!

gradstdnt wrote:

[...]

gradstdnt

I figured someone would notice that I cheated a bit. Yes, there is a
ratchet strap lifting a portion of the load. I do realize these are
designed to tie down, not up. The straps are indeed10,000 lb rated and
more than capable. The little strap you see is only holding the skid
on. I did ensure my setup was capable beforehand in the garage by
actually lifting the assembly with the knee and saddle in place. The
final move was lighter minuse those items. The biggest lift was from
the sidewalk to the porch. The rest of the trip any failure would have
meant a drop of about an inch. If I had to do it again, I would
definitely make use of rated lifting straps just for piece of mind.
The heavy ratchet straps did allow fine tuning of strap legths to get
the load properly balanced.

Errol Groff

When I read your post I said to myself, self, this should be
interesting. But viewing the photos shows that you took it apart.

Well, that takes all the fun out of the project. Just kidding of
course. Very well done!

Down the road from us they are building a cluster of new homes. We
looked at one, just for curiosity, and found that for $349,000 you
don't even get a cellar bulkhead. Good God in heaven above!

$349,000 for that house. P.T. Barnum was right. There IS a sucker
born every minute.

Errol Groff

On 7 Dec 2004 09:46:58 -0800, "gradstdnt"
wrote:

[...]

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Regional Technical School
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811
DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
gradstdnt wrote:

[ ... ]

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ Mill_to_Basement

Fifteen pictures posted of Mill to Basement. Pictures 11 through 15
kind of got
lost a tad bit down the list.

That's why you really want to put the image numbers near the
tail end of the filename (just before the file type extension is a good
place). That will assure that they get sorted together in normal
filename sorting.

It is good that you added a leading zero to the single-digit
file names, so they sort in proper order.

Quite a project. I hope that you enjoy the machine once you get
it back together.

BTW -- can you get that gantry crane downstairs to help you
reassemble it? Or something that will do the job?

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Richard J Kinch

DoN. Nichols writes:

That's why you really want to put the image numbers near the
tail end of the filename (just before the file type extension is a good
place). That will assure that they get sorted together in normal
filename sorting.

Not clear why there is this "dropbox" thing at all, like it was a BBS in
1980. Some reason these files on the Web can't be Web pages?

GTO69RA4

Not clear why there is this "dropbox" thing at all, like it was a BBS in
1980. Some reason these files on the Web can't be Web pages?

If folks don't want to or can't host their own photos and/or write pages for
them, there's the Dropbox.

GTO(John)
RoyJ

I'm somewhat impressed that your SO has not kicked you
AND the machine out of the house! And I noticed that the sequence of
pictures seemed to go from sunny to very dark. Take a while??

gradstdnt wrote:

[...]

Mike Henry

"gradstdnt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I figured someone would notice that I cheated a bit. Yes, there is a
ratchet strap lifting a portion of the load. I do realize these are
designed to tie down, not up. The straps are indeed10,000 lb rated and
more than capable. The little strap you see is only holding the skid
on. I did ensure my setup was capable beforehand in the garage by
actually lifting the assembly with the knee and saddle in place. The
final move was lighter minuse those items. The biggest lift was from
the sidewalk to the porch. The rest of the trip any failure would have
meant a drop of about an inch. If I had to do it again, I would
definitely make use of rated lifting straps just for piece of mind.
The heavy ratchet straps did allow fine tuning of strap legths to get
the load properly balanced.

It looks like you used "anchored" the gantry against the doorway at the top
of tyhe stairs. Did you notice any movement or give of the doorway while
lowering the heavier components? Did you use (or consider) 4x4's or similar
to support the stairway?

Pretty impressive move! My wife and I moved a 300-500 lb grinder base down
a stairway a few months ago with a bit different approach and that seemed to
me to be the practical limit - until now.

gradstdnt

Mike Henry wrote:
"gradstdnt" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The doorway provided a very solid backup structure for the gantry with
no deflection, creaks, groans, or cracks in the drywall. It is just
the horizontal component of the load that is being acted here, not the
full load. I did wedge two 4x4's under the stairs mid span to ensure
rubustness and piece of mind.

Some have mentioned my wifes toleration of my hobby. She didn't have
to lift a finger and no damage or abuse was done to the home. The
bigger challenge was maintaining my position that the basement is my
shop space and not misc/junk storage. This was actually my second big
move. If you look at 2003 archived files under Lathe Move, you will
see how I moved the bed of a 13 x 40 Clausing Colchester lathe. The
base for the mill is bigger but in general the process is old hat now.
From my wifes perspective it's just her husband and a few friends

moving some stuff into the basement.

The crane does fit into the basement. Main beam goes through window
opening and the rest down the stairs by hand. I designed it to clear
all beams and ductwork in it's lowest height. It will enable me to
move and assemble everything by myself.
The move took about three hours including some prep like removing
basement door and handrail and putting down the hardboard to protect
the floor.

We started around 4:00 PM and it gets dark pretty quick around 5:00 PM.
Total move was around 3 hours. The slowest part was lowering the
items down the stairs with the lever hoist. Very slow and tiring on
the arm even though there isn't much effort. The three of us worked
shifts on the hoist. Power hoist would have made the whole move much
quicker and almost effort free

"gradstdnt" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
I figured someone would notice that I cheated a bit. Yes, there is a
ratchet strap lifting a portion of the load. I do realize these are
designed to tie down, not up. The straps are indeed10,000 lb rated and
more than capable. The little strap you see is only holding the skid
on. I did ensure my setup was capable beforehand in the garage by
actually lifting the assembly with the knee and saddle in place. The
final move was lighter minuse those items. The biggest lift was from
the sidewalk to the porch. The rest of the trip any failure would have
meant a drop of about an inch.

Although the lift wasnt that big you may want to imagine the pain of parking
that load on your toe:-)

Or even worse... The pain of getting slammed in the face with a fryingpan by
an angry wife after the base of the mill tore a hole in the basement wall
because the ratchet strap let go while you were lowering the base down the
flight of stairs..

I work with stage rigging on the side and was taught never to use ratchet
straps for anything but tying speakerstacks down on the stage or in the
truck... Real slings or chain is the only solution..

/peter

Richard J Kinch

GTO69RA4 writes:

Not clear why there is this "dropbox" thing at all, like it was a BBS
in 1980. Some reason these files on the Web can't be Web pages?

If folks don't want to or can't host their own photos and/or write
pages for them, there's the Dropbox.

Obviously. The question is, why the clumsy FTP-style interface, why are
they not arranged into single HTML pages by topic. You have to click at
least 2N times to look at N photos for just 1 topic. XYZ.txt and XYZ_1.jpg
thru XYZ_N.jpg should all be viewable in one XYZ.html.
RoyJ

Because you have a volenteer that offered to keep the list up to date,
he chose to do it that way, hasn't bothered to update things for the
last 5 years.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html

Richard J Kinch wrote:

GTO69RA4 writes:

Not clear why there is this "dropbox" thing at all, like it was a BBS
in 1980. Some reason these files on the Web can't be Web pages?

If folks don't want to or can't host their own photos and/or write
pages for them, there's the Dropbox.

Obviously. The question is, why the clumsy FTP-style interface, why are
they not arranged into single HTML pages by topic. You have to click at
least 2N times to look at N photos for just 1 topic. XYZ.txt and XYZ_1.jpg
thru XYZ_N.jpg should all be viewable in one XYZ.html.

DoN. Nichols

In article t,
RoyJ wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

GTO69RA4 writes:

Not clear why there is this "dropbox" thing at all, like it was a BBS
in 1980. Some reason these files on the Web can't be Web pages?

If folks don't want to or can't host their own photos and/or write
pages for them, there's the Dropbox.

Obviously. The question is, why the clumsy FTP-style interface, why are
they not arranged into single HTML pages by topic. You have to click at
least 2N times to look at N photos for just 1 topic. XYZ.txt and XYZ_1.jpg
thru XYZ_N.jpg should all be viewable in one XYZ.html.

Because you have a volenteer that offered to keep the list up to date,
he chose to do it that way, hasn't bothered to update things for the
last 5 years.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html

Actually -- it is updated regularly. Steve donates the file
space and the server, and regularly (about twice a year) moves older
files into separate archives by year, to keep the current directory from
getting too large for practical browsing.

As for the arrangement -- it is an automated process, with the
files extracted from the e-mails submitting them without any hands-on
work.

It is up to those who donate the files to name them in such a
way that they group together in an alphabetical sort. You saw one of
the problems -- if you start with image numbers, things get spread out
rather strangely. Standard practice is to have all of the related files
start with the same string, and the numbers as the last things before
the file type extension.

Steve has other things to do, which bring him income. This does
not. As it is, he spends far too much time checking for virii in
recent uploads -- and weeding out spam.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Instead, be thankful that
Steve does make this available.

If you want a neater organization, offer your own web space and
method of submission. This one works well for most here. And you can't
beat the price. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Martin H. Eastburn

Richard J Inch wrote:

GTO69RA4 writes:

Not clear why there is this "dropbox" thing at all, like it was a BBS
in 1980. Some reason these files on the Web can't be Web pages?

If folks don't want to or can't host their own photos and/or write
pages for them, there's the Dropbox.

Obviously. The question is, why the clumsy FTP-style interface, why are
they not arranged into single HTML pages by topic. You have to click at
least 2N times to look at N photos for just 1 topic. XYZ.txt and XYZ_1.jpg
thru XYZ_N.jpg should all be viewable in one XYZ.html.

How I do it is look at the text file and see the file names.
Then modify the file name in the viewer and bam the picture - then modify for the next.

If I want said set, I do a RMB - that is Right Mouse Button - and do a save as to file name.

This could be overly controlled java driven but the site is provided at no cost and
is just fine for most of us.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

jim rozen

In article , Richard J Kinch
says...

Not clear why there is this "dropbox" thing at all, like it was a BBS in
1980. Some reason these files on the Web can't be Web pages?

You're hired.

At the same rate of pay as Steve was being paid!

:^)

Jim

please reply to:
Richard J Kinch

DoN. Nichols writes:

As for the arrangement -- it is an automated process, with the
files extracted from the e-mails submitting them without any hands-on
work. ... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

The generosity is fine, and thank you to those responsible for the
horse. It explains the awkward interface. I still think many times more
human effort must be spent clicking around every day, than it would take
to update it one time. Whatever is accepting the email and processing
the attachments should generate an html page for each submission as a
whole. It could even be done independently at a different locale by
spidering the complete index.

It is important to Usenet gropus to have something like that. Otherwise
we have the proliferation of the hideous Yahoo "groups", which is a
slow, cumbersome, proprietary, ad-locked, hostage-taking "better" Web
hosting and interface. I really get steamed that Yahoo is
"reinventing" NNTP Usenet with a badly-done HTTP counterfeit.

But the spam/virus angle to email submissions is a huge disincentive to
any volunteer spirit, even if you have someone willing to donate the
hosting space and maintain the software. How sad. The gift horse gets
sick, and you have to shovel out floods of manure. Either your effort
doesn't matter because nobody looks at it, or it does matter and you
can't afford to keep up with it.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Richard J Kinch wrote:
DoN. Nichols writes:

As for the arrangement -- it is an automated process, with the
files extracted from the e-mails submitting them without any hands-on
work. ... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

The generosity is fine, and thank you to those responsible for the
horse. It explains the awkward interface. I still think many times more
human effort must be spent clicking around every day, than it would take
to update it one time. Whatever is accepting the email and processing
the attachments should generate an html page for each submission as a
whole. It could even be done independently at a different locale by
spidering the complete index.

If it were being done on a unix system, it would be pretty easy
to automate the whole process.

As a matter of fact, I have (on my unix systems) a shell script
which takes a directory full of images, and generates a skeleton web
page with thumbnails and reduced images (as appropriate for the initial
size of the images). It still needs to be edited to get the text
descriptors into the right places, but it is quick and dirty. If there
were an accompanying .TXT file, even an overall descriptor could be made
automatc (other than the name of the directory in which the files are
placed, which is automatically used.)

Since it is being done on a Windows 2000 system, with
Microsoft's IIS as a web server, I'm not sure how easy that would be.

And the operator of the dropbox is even still having problems
getting people to remember to include a descriptive .TXT file to
accompany the images. I've seen a recent posting from him in another
forum in which he declares that he gives up on that. He used to dig
through RCM to figure out who donated the images -- but since not all
come from this newsgroup, that is a rather uncertain way to do things. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Fuhh

Hey gradstdnt

What are you going to do when SHE tells you that she wants to move to
a new house ? ! ! ?

After all, our machines are SACRED and a wife is only temporary.

However, EX-wives are permanent....