Richard J Kinch

DoN. Nichols writes:

As for the arrangement -- it is an automated process, with the
files extracted from the e-mails submitting them without any hands-on
work. ... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

The generosity is fine, and thank you to those responsible for the
horse. It explains the awkward interface. I still think many times more
human effort must be spent clicking around every day, than it would take
to update it one time. Whatever is accepting the email and processing
the attachments should generate an html page for each submission as a
whole. It could even be done independently at a different locale by
spidering the complete index.

It is important to Usenet gropus to have something like that. Otherwise
we have the proliferation of the hideous Yahoo "groups", which is a
slow, cumbersome, proprietary, ad-locked, hostage-taking "better" Web
hosting and interface. I really get steamed that Yahoo is
"reinventing" NNTP Usenet with a badly-done HTTP counterfeit.

But the spam/virus angle to email submissions is a huge disincentive to
any volunteer spirit, even if you have someone willing to donate the
hosting space and maintain the software. How sad. The gift horse gets
sick, and you have to shovel out floods of manure. Either your effort
doesn't matter because nobody looks at it, or it does matter and you
can't afford to keep up with it.