DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Richard J Kinch wrote:
DoN. Nichols writes:

As for the arrangement -- it is an automated process, with the
files extracted from the e-mails submitting them without any hands-on
work. ... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

The generosity is fine, and thank you to those responsible for the
horse. It explains the awkward interface. I still think many times more
human effort must be spent clicking around every day, than it would take
to update it one time. Whatever is accepting the email and processing
the attachments should generate an html page for each submission as a
whole. It could even be done independently at a different locale by
spidering the complete index.

If it were being done on a unix system, it would be pretty easy
to automate the whole process.

As a matter of fact, I have (on my unix systems) a shell script
which takes a directory full of images, and generates a skeleton web
page with thumbnails and reduced images (as appropriate for the initial
size of the images). It still needs to be edited to get the text
descriptors into the right places, but it is quick and dirty. If there
were an accompanying .TXT file, even an overall descriptor could be made
automatc (other than the name of the directory in which the files are
placed, which is automatically used.)

Since it is being done on a Windows 2000 system, with
Microsoft's IIS as a web server, I'm not sure how easy that would be.

And the operator of the dropbox is even still having problems
getting people to remember to include a descriptive .TXT file to
accompany the images. I've seen a recent posting from him in another
forum in which he declares that he gives up on that. He used to dig
through RCM to figure out who donated the images -- but since not all
come from this newsgroup, that is a rather uncertain way to do things. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564