Old July 15th 20, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel pipe for flag pole

I have one of those cheap aluminum flag poles because I don't want to spend $1200 on a high dollar one. It uses 2" pipe sections and works pretty well, but it will bend in high winds. I used black iron pipe inside of it for several years and it worked pretty well, but in our last storm with 70-80mph winds, it did bend and the black pipe broke at the junction (2 10ft sticks). I'm looking for a replacement for the internal pipe that would be stronger. Local metal place recommended sch40 1-1/4" in a 20ft stick but I was thinking maybe some sort of roll bar tubing or similar. I'm not that familiar with the terminology or naming convention of the different metals. I can do up to 1-3/4" inside the aluminum sections. What would be a good choice for this?

Old July 16th 20, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I appreciate that. I'll check around, that may work.
Old July 16th 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I like that idea, but that also sounds HEAVY! lol Hopefully I can lift it in place! ;-)

Old July 16th 20, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 20:54:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I like that idea, but that also sounds HEAVY! lol Hopefully I can lift it in place! ;-)

You SAID you wanted something that would not bend in the wind - - - -
Old July 16th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

I like that idea, but that also sounds HEAVY! lol Hopefully I can lift it
in place! ;-)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/0-91-in-...-190/202591987

Fence suppliers can get similar tubing in several diameters and wall
thicknesses. My 50' TV antenna mast is made of 1-5/16" fence top rail at 1/4
the cost of Radio Shack mast.

Old July 16th 20, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Great ideas. I'm going to do some checking around today and see what I can find. I like the option of the Chromolly tube.
Old July 17th 20, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

Great ideas. I'm going to do some checking around today and see what I can
find. I like the option of the Chromolly tube.

Sold by the inch:
https://secure.chassisshop.com/partlist/5408/