Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kleake1@gmail.com is offline

Default Steel pipe for flag pole

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 1:16:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Not exactly what you asked, but the maximum bending force is at the base. So you could probably get by with a pipe inside the bottom 15 feet.

Dan

I completely agree with this. The break was at the top of the first 10ft section, so since I can get sch40 in 10 or 20ft lengths, I just went with a 20ft section in the 1-1/4 size instead of 1" as well as eliminated any joints. That should fare pretty well for the next several years. If it fails, I may at that point upgrade to a larger diameter pipe and re-do my concrete hole in the ground.