mbrooks

Default Cutting off thin flange under a stainless sink?

I bought a used stainless sink and the four flanges underneath (used
to bolt the sink to the countertop) are half-rusted and ugly. I'd like
to remove the and use the flat under-surface of the sink with a wooden
fram underneath and make a stand for it out of plain 2x4. The sink
itself is good and clean but those flanges are too rotted to keep.

I got one of the worst rusted flanges off by pulling/twisting with
pliers and hitting it at the seam with a hammer and garden spade,
using the spade like a chisel. This technique is not working as well
with a less rusted flange.

What would be a good approach?

Gary Brady

I think those channels are spot welded onto the stainless. A cut off wheel
on a 4 1/2" grinder would probably make short work of those spot welds.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

"mbrooks" wrote in message
om...
I bought a used stainless sink and the four flanges underneath (used
to bolt the sink to the countertop) are half-rusted and ugly. I'd like
to remove the and use the flat under-surface of the sink with a wooden
fram underneath and make a stand for it out of plain 2x4. The sink
itself is good and clean but those flanges are too rotted to keep.

I got one of the worst rusted flanges off by pulling/twisting with
pliers and hitting it at the seam with a hammer and garden spade,
using the spade like a chisel. This technique is not working as well
with a less rusted flange.

What would be a good approach?

mbrooks

Gunner wrote in message . ..

What would be a good approach?

The trusty right angle grinder will remove them very quickly.

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. I will get a grinder. The sink is too
good to throw away.

***
mbrooks

Don Foreman wrote in message . ..

I'll have to admit that I laughed out loud when I read about the
hammer and shovel approach to metalworking! After you cut the tabs
off your sink with your new anglegrinder, you can also use it to
clean up the dings in your shovel!

Hey, okay, that really was funny, I'll cop to that.

***