Old May 15th 20, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor foot repair

Hi folks,

I have a 1/2 hp dual-shaft electric motor from 1937. It runs and I'm planning to add a couple of buffing mops for polishing metal. But it's missing part of a mounting foot. Here's a pictu

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...Motor_Foot.jpg

Do I stand a reasonable chance of repairing the foot using 2 mm stainless welding electrodes and an oil-cooled AC welding set?

I was thinking of grinding away a large, neat piece and making a mild steel slotted piece to match, and also bevelling the edges, but I can't really pre-heat the part.

Will this work? What do people think? Thanks!

Best wishes,

Chris

Old May 15th 20, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 May 2020 17:11:23 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a 1/2 hp dual-shaft electric motor from 1937. It runs and I'm planning to add a couple of buffing mops for polishing metal. But it's missing part of a mounting foot. Here's a pictu

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...Motor_Foot.jpg

Do I stand a reasonable chance of repairing the foot using 2 mm stainless welding electrodes and an oil-cooled AC welding set?

I was thinking of grinding away a large, neat piece and making a mild steel slotted piece to match, and also bevelling the edges, but I can't really pre-heat the part.

Will this work? What do people think? Thanks!

Best wishes,

Chris

I'd grab a hunk of cast iron and a hand grinfer and reproduce the
missing part - and weldit on with stainless steel wire and a tig
torch.
Old May 15th 20, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Freitag, 15. Mai 2020 03:56:03 UTC+2 schrieb Cla

I'd grab a hunk of cast iron and a hand grinfer and reproduce the
missing part - and weldit on with stainless steel wire and a tig
torch.

Cast iron is possible, but I've not got TIG. Just the AC arc welder where the motor is located. I've got a DC arc welder elsewhere.

Chris
Old May 15th 20, 12:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Hi folks,

I have a 1/2 hp dual-shaft electric motor from 1937. It runs and I'm
planning to add a couple of buffing mops for polishing metal. But it's
missing part of a mounting foot. Here's a pictu

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...Motor_Foot.jpg

Do I stand a reasonable chance of repairing the foot using 2 mm stainless
welding electrodes and an oil-cooled AC welding set?

I was thinking of grinding away a large, neat piece and making a mild steel
slotted piece to match, and also bevelling the edges, but I can't really
pre-heat the part.

Will this work? What do people think? Thanks!

Best wishes,

Chris

===============================

For a buffer the load on the motor base is an upward pull in front, a
downward push in back. I'd put the broken foot in back with a large washer
over it.

Old May 15th 20, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 May 2020 07:23:36 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

[...]

I would do more or less the same as Jim. Only I would make a custom
"washer" thick enough along the missing edge to be level with the
remaining casting...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old May 15th 20, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/14/2020 7:11 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a 1/2 hp dual-shaft electric motor from 1937. It runs and I'm planning to add a couple of buffing mops for polishing metal. But it's missing part of a mounting foot. Here's a pictu

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...Motor_Foot.jpg

Do I stand a reasonable chance of repairing the foot using 2 mm stainless welding electrodes and an oil-cooled AC welding set?

I was thinking of grinding away a large, neat piece and making a mild steel slotted piece to match, and also bevelling the edges, but I can't really pre-heat the part.

Will this work? What do people think? Thanks!

Best wishes,

Chris

It looks to me like the base is removable with 4 bolts, so you could
heat it, if only in the kitchen oven.

Mikek

Old May 15th 20, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

[...]

That's a better idea that I didn't suggest because IIRC the OP may not have
the milling machine to make it. Lacking one I would have sawed off and filed
one leg of a short piece of angle iron to slightly more than the thickness
of the foot and drilled the other leg for the bolt.

However if the load on that foot is only downward from hand pressure on the
buffing wheel the extra clamp doesn't add much. Presumably the base can be
unbolted and reversed if necessary to make the front of the buffing wheel
descend.

Old May 15th 20, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 May 2020 10:03:55 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I would have sawed off and filed
one leg of a short piece of angle iron to slightly more than the thickness
of the foot and drilled the other leg for the bolt.

Yeah, that fits what I had in mind very well

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old May 15th 20, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/14/2020 7:00 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Am Freitag, 15. Mai 2020 03:56:03 UTC+2 schrieb Cla

I'd grab a hunk of cast iron and a hand grinfer and reproduce the
missing part - and weldit on with stainless steel wire and a tig
torch.

Cast iron is possible, but I've not got TIG. Just the AC arc welder where the motor is located. I've got a DC arc welder elsewhere.

Chris

Nickel 99 rod might do ok with what you have. I think its intended for
welding cast iron. Lots of clean and prep work, small welds to minimize
heat input, and peen continuously on each weld as it cools.

I have heard of guys using cheaper nickel 55 rod, but ... I don't reall
seeing it reccommended.

I'm not a real welder. I just play one on the Internet.

Old May 15th 20, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 15 May 2020 10:03:55 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I would have sawed off and filed
one leg of a short piece of angle iron to slightly more than the thickness
of the foot and drilled the other leg for the bolt.

Yeah, that fits what I had in mind very well

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Decades of sawing and filing stuff like that convinced me to buy the milling
machine.