Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to prune the top of a 30 foot oak tree so it's a 20 foot tall oak tree

arkland wrote in
:

I've a 30-foot tall oak tree blocking my view from my bedroom window
that I wish to prune the top of.

I have a 28 foot ladder and an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw.

Is there a good technique for topping such a tree? I'm worried that
the result will look clipped but I also don't like the tree blocking
the view.

Is there an easy way to lop off the top ten feet or so, or will it
kill the tree?

These oaks are year round green. They drop leaves, but always grow new
ones, so, they're always green. I think it's called a California live
oak.

Any topping suggestions? It's about a foot and a half in diameter at
eye level and about 30 feet tall. I want it to be about 20 feet tall.

Ideas appreciated.

I've a 30-foot tall oak tree ... that I wish to prune the top of.

+

I have a 28 foot ladder and an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw.

+

You have to ask on a newsgroup

Is there an easy way to lop off the top ten feet or so,

Yes. Hire someone. Let them have the top hit the ladder while they are on
it, get hacked up by the chainsaw, etc.

I'm worried that...

What should follow == I will get killed or severely hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

I'm worried that...

What should follow == I will get killed or severely hurt.

Not like that would necessarily be a bad thing from a Darwin standpoint
(g).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dig it up.

Lay it down on the ground, so that it is lying on the ground.

(I hate the misuse of lie and lay)

Prune it in complete safety.

Replant it.

Of course, we have a hydraulic tree spade at work. If you're doing
this by hand, YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:17:03 -0700, TimR wrote:
Lay it down on the ground, so that it is lying on the ground.

The branches now lie where the entire tree lay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 12:34*am, arkland wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:17:03 -0700, TimR wrote:
Lay it down on the ground, so that it is lying on the ground.

The branches now lie where the entire tree lay.

dont let them lay there long as the dry a carelessely tossed cigarette
butt could set a large roaring fire right alongside your home...

justice for tree you cut down, it takes out your house