Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How to prune the top of a 30 foot oak tree so it's a 20 foot tall oak tree

arkland wrote in
:

I've a 30-foot tall oak tree blocking my view from my bedroom window
that I wish to prune the top of.

I have a 28 foot ladder and an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw.

Is there a good technique for topping such a tree? I'm worried that
the result will look clipped but I also don't like the tree blocking
the view.

Is there an easy way to lop off the top ten feet or so, or will it
kill the tree?

These oaks are year round green. They drop leaves, but always grow new
ones, so, they're always green. I think it's called a California live
oak.

Any topping suggestions? It's about a foot and a half in diameter at
eye level and about 30 feet tall. I want it to be about 20 feet tall.

Ideas appreciated.

I've a 30-foot tall oak tree ... that I wish to prune the top of.

+

I have a 28 foot ladder and an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw.

+

You have to ask on a newsgroup

Is there an easy way to lop off the top ten feet or so,

Yes. Hire someone. Let them have the top hit the ladder while they are on
it, get hacked up by the chainsaw, etc.

I'm worried that...

What should follow == I will get killed or severely hurt.