Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to prune the top of a 30 foot oak tree so it's a 20 foot talloak tree

On Jul 5, 2:08*am, arkland wrote:
I've a 30-foot tall oak tree blocking my view from my bedroom window that
I wish to prune the top of.

I have a 28 foot ladder and an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw.

Is there a good technique for topping such a tree? I'm worried that the
result will look clipped but I also don't like the tree blocking the view..

Is there an easy way to lop off the top ten feet or so, or will it kill
the tree?

These oaks are year round green. They drop leaves, but always grow new
ones, so, they're always green. I think it's called a California live
oak.

Any topping suggestions? It's about a foot and a half in diameter at eye
level and about 30 feet tall. I want it to be about 20 feet tall.

Ideas appreciated.

You're wasting your time. Cut it down and plant a tree that doesn't
get over 20 ft. OR live with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 04:39:22 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:
You're wasting your time. Cut it down and plant a tree that doesn't get
over 20 ft. OR live with it.

Or raise your house by 10 feet :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote in news:iuv9b9
:

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 04:39:22 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:
You're wasting your time. Cut it down and plant a tree that doesn't get
over 20 ft. OR live with it.

Or raise your house by 10 feet :-)

We have a Rube & Darwin approach so far...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 15:19:15 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote in
news:iuv9b9 :

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 04:39:22 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:
You're wasting your time. Cut it down and plant a tree that doesn't
get over 20 ft. OR live with it.

Or raise your house by 10 feet :-)

We have a Rube & Darwin approach so far...

No, the Darwin approach would be to excavate under the tree and lower it
by the required amount :-)

Nobody's mentioned a periscope yet, either.