Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor foot repair

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 15 May 2020 07:23:36 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Hi folks,

I have a 1/2 hp dual-shaft electric motor from 1937. It runs and I'm
planning to add a couple of buffing mops for polishing metal. But it's
missing part of a mounting foot. Here's a pictu

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...Motor_Foot.jpg

Do I stand a reasonable chance of repairing the foot using 2 mm stainless
welding electrodes and an oil-cooled AC welding set?

I was thinking of grinding away a large, neat piece and making a mild steel
slotted piece to match, and also bevelling the edges, but I can't really
pre-heat the part.

Will this work? What do people think? Thanks!

Best wishes,

Chris

===============================

For a buffer the load on the motor base is an upward pull in front, a
downward push in back. I'd put the broken foot in back with a large washer
over it.

I would do more or less the same as Jim. Only I would make a custom
"washer" thick enough along the missing edge to be level with the
remaining casting...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

That's a better idea that I didn't suggest because IIRC the OP may not have
the milling machine to make it. Lacking one I would have sawed off and filed
one leg of a short piece of angle iron to slightly more than the thickness
of the foot and drilled the other leg for the bolt.

However if the load on that foot is only downward from hand pressure on the
buffing wheel the extra clamp doesn't add much. Presumably the base can be
unbolted and reversed if necessary to make the front of the buffing wheel
descend.