Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default Motor foot repair

On Thu, 14 May 2020 17:11:23 -0700, Christopher Tidy wrote:

I have a 1/2 hp dual-shaft electric motor from 1937. It runs and I'm planning to add a couple of buffing mops for polishing metal. But it's missing part of a mounting foot. Here's a pictu

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...Motor_Foot.jpg

Do I stand a reasonable chance of repairing the foot using 2 mm stainless welding electrodes and an oil-cooled AC welding set?

I was thinking of grinding away a large, neat piece and making a mild steel slotted piece to match, and also bevelling the edges, but I can't really pre-heat the part.

If you have some 3/8" or so plate you could weld the whole base
to it (welding with the base removed from the motor, of course)
and then your added bit would not need to do more than act as
a spacer or leveler for a bolt.

--
jiw