Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I must be getting old - err "mature".

I told the wife - I must be 'maturing'.

Fetched home an old corded drill. Free - but "a little play" in
the front bushing - not more than a quarter inch. I pulled the chuck,
"because for that, I have a use." Not "some day, or "maybe, I can"
but - "that there drill guide needs a chuck.".
So that's "fixed" - what to do with the rest of it? I did take it
apart - brushes in good shape, - in fact, aside from the worn out
bushing, it seemed in "good shape" for an old drill. I know it was
old, because it had formerly belonged to the church back when it was
"Grace Community". (Which was a long time ago.) But the other clue
was that it was a metal body. I mean, it has been a long time since
cheap drills were made with metal bodies.) (I have a Skill drill
from 1978, and it has a plastic body.)
Anyway, I realized I'm getting older: I tossed all the parts.
Okay, I kept the electric motor (windings and stator) "just because" -
but the rest all will go away. need the room, I'm not electrically
incline to use the parts for something.
I did ponder the sort of society which would find it cost
effective to replace the bushing so it wouldn't wobble.

Sigh, too soon old, too late schamrt.

But I have a drill guide which works.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 20:38:54 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

I bought a "Portable Electric Tools" 1/4" drill from CTC for $17.00 in
1957 and still have it. I don't use it very often but have wired
several houses with as well as driveing 4-5 inch grind stones, buffing
wheels and sanding discs with it over 60+ years.
I did give a 1/2" "D" handle drill from 1948 to my Plumber neighbour
across the street when he expressed an interest in it, I had grabbed
it for $2.00 at a yard sale. All it needed was a new cord (the old one
had eleven patches, mostly duct tape or masking tape) and a good chuck
cleaning.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry writes:

I bought a "Portable Electric Tools" 1/4" drill from CTC for $17.00
in 1957 and still have it. I don't use it very often but have wired
several houses with as well as driveing 4-5 inch grind stones,
buffing wheels and sanding discs with it over 60+ years. I did give
a 1/2" "D" handle drill from 1948 to my Plumber neighbour across the
street when he expressed an interest in it, I had grabbed it for
$2.00 at a yard sale. All it needed was a new cord (the old one had
eleven patches, mostly duct tape or masking tape) and a good chuck
cleaning.

I may have recounted this before. I have a B&D 1/2" pistol-grip drill
that's listed in a 1925 catalog for $58.00. Weighs 16#, all-metal.
Bought it, aong with a B&D end grinder of same vintage, in '67. Circa
1978, a brush holder broke. Drove 70 miles to the city to the B&D
repair depot.

Man started at the left end of the long catalog shelf with the big
microfiche ringbinders (no computers then), worked his way down past
the paper ringbinders, fat catalogs, small catalogs to the very last
item on the shelf. Thin, about 20 pages, greasy and tattered, paged
through it. Went off to his parts racks and came back with a tray
containing 3 of the needed parts. So I bought 2. Drill is still
going great and I haven't needed the 2nd holder yet.

Fast forward to circa 2004. My B&D, all-metal 1/4" drill --
inherited, probably circa 1970 vintage -- needed a new bearing.
Called B&D. Young feller I talked to went clicky-cliccky on his
computer, said, "Oh, jeez, that's *OLD*." And they didn't have the
bearing.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why didnt you replace the bushing with a new one? Turn it on the
lathe and install it?

Ive fixed several OLD drills doing this. They still run strong and
straight. Use Oilite bronze.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged
boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 02 Apr 2018 02:49:38 -0700

Why didnt you replace the bushing with a new one? Turn it on the
lathe and install it?

I've enough projects. And for me - not a reasonable option.

Should have given it to Carlin.

Ive fixed several OLD drills doing this. They still run strong and
straight. Use Oilite bronze.

pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Gunner Asch on Mon, 02 Apr 2018
02:49:38 -0700

Why didnt you replace the bushing with a new one? Turn it on the
lathe and install it?

I've enough projects. And for me - not a reasonable option.

"I did ponder the sort of society which would find it cost
effective to replace the bushing so it wouldn't wobble."

That would be a society with the skill and tools and inclination to do
it, like r.c.m. Educational experience may not be immediately cost
effective.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 3 Apr 2018 07:48:06 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
Gunner Asch on Mon, 02 Apr 2018
02:49:38 -0700

Why didnt you replace the bushing with a new one? Turn it on the
lathe and install it?

I've enough projects. And for me - not a reasonable option.

"I did ponder the sort of society which would find it cost
effective to replace the bushing so it wouldn't wobble."

That would be a society with the skill and tools and inclination to do
it, like r.c.m. Educational experience may not be immediately cost
effective.

There is that. I was thinking more along the lines of "extreme"
'make do or do without."

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 3 Apr 2018
07:48:06 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..
Gunner Asch on Mon, 02 Apr 2018
02:49:38 -0700

Why didnt you replace the bushing with a new one? Turn it on the
lathe and install it?

I've enough projects. And for me - not a reasonable option.

"I did ponder the sort of society which would find it cost
effective to replace the bushing so it wouldn't wobble."

That would be a society with the skill and tools and inclination to
do
it, like r.c.m. Educational experience may not be immediately cost
effective.

There is that. I was thinking more along the lines of "extreme"
'make do or do without."

--
pyotr filipivich

I hope we are a very long way from choosing to emulate the Workers'
Paradise of Venezuela.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43593970

I think enough of us in "flyover country" still have the self-reliant
ethic of my father's generation that airdropped into the wild,
roadless interior of New Guinea to build air strips and create modern
civilization around them
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...rip_1 943.jpg

Earlier this morning I was discussing the removal of a large roadside
tree with the highway department foreman, who offered to take the wood
away as a favor. I said I'll keep it and showed him pix of my
home-made sawmill slicing similar logs into beams and planks.

The old skills are still alive here in New Hampshire, along with the
newest ones.
http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/
http://www.dekaresearch.com/
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich writes:

I was thinking more along the lines of "extreme" 'make do or do
without."

BTDT. Now, decades later, that I'm a little better off, turns out you
often can't buy a replacement that's worth a pinch of fuvg. Retired
our 1950 blender after 2nd repair, went through 3 new ones, dug out the
old one and repaired it again, better. It's still going.

Not universally true but more often true than makes any sense to
anybody with a few tools and skills. Of course, it helps not to be
depending on a day job or (see "BTDT", above) the day job *is* making
do.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

pyotr filipivich writes:

I was thinking more along the lines of "extreme" 'make do or do
without."

BTDT. Now, decades later, that I'm a little better off, turns out
you
often can't buy a replacement that's worth a pinch of fuvg. Retired
our 1950 blender after 2nd repair, went through 3 new ones, dug out
the
old one and repaired it again, better. It's still going.

Not universally true but more often true than makes any sense to
anybody with a few tools and skills. Of course, it helps not to be
depending on a day job or (see "BTDT", above) the day job *is*
making
do.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

My career was "extreme make do" in a different sense, the industrial
parallel to Mike's commissioned art works. I fleshed out the design
details and then hand-built custom, mainly electronic equipment to
fulfill the customer's wishes and scribbles. The customers included
GM, IBM, TI and the US Air Force and their wishes were far from simple
or easy. At least when I turned and bored a bushing to fit a shaft to
a housing I was using new material, not correcting for wear.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Spencer on 03 Apr 2018 16:26:14

pyotr filipivich writes:

I was thinking more along the lines of "extreme" 'make do or do
without."

BTDT. Now, decades later, that I'm a little better off, turns out you
often can't buy a replacement that's worth a pinch of fuvg. Retired
our 1950 blender after 2nd repair, went through 3 new ones, dug out the
old one and repaired it again, better. It's still going.

Not universally true but more often true than makes any sense to
anybody with a few tools and skills. Of course, it helps not to be
depending on a day job or (see "BTDT", above) the day job *is* making
do.

There is also an element of "priority" Depends one what you
consider important. Some guys would rather spend the time to keep
their car running, and others "its a ride, it works or I replace it."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:58:26 -0400
[...]

The main issue is that the CBs in 1943 had a whole lot less to
create to make it "civilized".

I talked with my Dad about how much stuff I was taking to college,
part of which was that he could put all he need in a rucksack, the
Fraternity would have a type writer available (and, although I didn't
say this to him, he didn't have to worry about "home" packing up and
moving.)
That was back when the Apple IIe was "cutting edge." And I didn't
have one of those either. I did borrow one my senior year to knock
out a paper at the last minute.

Earlier this morning I was discussing the removal of a large roadside
tree with the highway department foreman, who offered to take the wood
away as a favor. I said I'll keep it and showed him pix of my
home-made sawmill slicing similar logs into beams and planks.

Many years ago, a windstorm took down several madrona trees on
Lake Washington. I wanted to salvage the logs for lumber, but not
with my Toyota hatchback. Buddy of mine knew a couple 'gyppo'
loggers, but they were in Oregon. We doubted we could get them up,
and the wood salvaged before the City Parks people showed up.

The old skills are still alive here in New Hampshire, along with the
newest ones.
http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/
http://www.dekaresearch.com/
-jsw

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 21:35:30 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Many years ago, a windstorm took down several madrona trees on
Lake Washington. I wanted to salvage the logs for lumber, but not
with my Toyota hatchback. Buddy of mine knew a couple 'gyppo'
loggers, but they were in Oregon. We doubted we could get them up,
and the wood salvaged before the City Parks people showed up.

A few years back, a large maple was taken down a hundred yards down
the street. By the time we got to it there was only one block left -
the exact one I wanted - the tripple crotch block. It now sits in my
driveway on three rubber feet made from Hockey pucks to keep it from
being constantly damp. No-one would take it because they wouldn't be
able to split it into pieces which meets my requirement for a chopping
block.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 3 Apr 2018
13:58:26 -0400
I think enough of us in "flyover country" still have the
self-reliant
ethic of my father's generation that airdropped into the wild,
roadless interior of New Guinea to build air strips and create
modern
civilization around them
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...rip_1 943.jpg

The main issue is that the CBs in 1943 had a whole lot less to
create to make it "civilized".
pyotr filipivich

The military needs the same infrastructure as civilians; roads, water,
sewer, electricity and phones, medical and dental care and banking and
mail. Additionally they needed runways, a mobile voice radio system
functionally equivalent to cell phones, and a Teletype network similar
to email for orders and reports. They don't grow their own food but
neither do cities. The troops tend to build themselves movie theatres
and night clubs, my father's unit (he was the CO) turned a Jeep engine
into a refrigeration compressor to cool their drinks.

They had to be able to maintain their complex equipment, notably high
performance aircraft. We also set up drydock facilities to repair
warships in a remote and primitive Pacific atoll.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulithi
"Within a month of the occupation of Ulithi, a complete floating base
was in operation. Six thousand ship fitters, artificers, welders,
carpenters and electricians arrived aboard repair ships, destroyer
tenders, and floating dry docks. The USS Ajax (AR-6) had an
air-conditioned optical shop and a metal fabrication shop with a
supply of base metals from which she could make any alloy to form any
part needed."

"...for seven months in late 1944 and early 1945, the large lagoon of
the Ulithi atoll was the largest and most active anchorage in the
world."

For a 2 week field exercise in the winter of 1972 I was attached to a
unit that set up a mobile communications center for a secure global
computer network on a remote mountain top. Except for food and fuel we
became a self-sustaining village in the snow-covered wilderness.

-jsw