Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Onkyo DR-C500 "Disk Err" - Whats the fix?

Hi:
This 5.1 receiver/dvd/cd (5 disk changer) player has developed a
problem: displaying 'Disk Err' when changing to play a DVD or CD. Seems
to be more temperamental with DVDs (happening about 80% of the time) and
with CDs (about 20% of the time). Receiver is about 3 yrs old, and it
occasionally did this when new, now it happens a lot.
Can anyone relate with the fix is? or some things to check out? This
appears to be a chronic problem with units of this type - Are there any
'official' ONKYO fixes?
The laser diode and subsequent processing channels look OK - seems like
its an alignment problem when the disk is lifted onto the spindle...
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:34:59 -0400, John Hudak Has Frothed:

Hi:
This 5.1 receiver/dvd/cd (5 disk changer) player has developed a problem:
displaying 'Disk Err' when changing to play a DVD or CD. Seems to be more
temperamental with DVDs (happening about 80% of the time) and with CDs
(about 20% of the time). Receiver is about 3 yrs old, and it
occasionally did this when new, now it happens a lot. Can anyone relate
with the fix is? or some things to check out? This appears to be a
chronic problem with units of this type - Are there any 'official' ONKYO
fixes?
The laser diode and subsequent processing channels look OK - seems like
its an alignment problem when the disk is lifted onto the spindle... Any
help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

It's a chronic problem. Read a bunch of people having problems with it not
reading DVD/CDR reliably. Google - Onkyo DR-C500 disk error and read some
for yourself.

As far as a solution goes, there may not be one. You could contact Onkyo
tech and see if there is.

Yes, I found that even before I did the post. I figured by now the root
cause would have been discovered and the 'universal' fix would be
floating around. Perhaps the fix is to deep six the unit...lol If I
were the owner, I'd be upset...$600 and about three years later its
garbage...There ought to be a law...lol
Thanks
John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Hudak wrote:
Hi:
This 5.1 receiver/dvd/cd (5 disk changer) player has developed a
problem: displaying 'Disk Err' when changing to play a DVD or CD. Seems to
be more temperamental with DVDs (happening about 80% of the
time) and with CDs (about 20% of the time). Receiver is about 3 yrs
old, and it occasionally did this when new, now it happens a lot.
Can anyone relate with the fix is? or some things to check out? This
appears to be a chronic problem with units of this type - Are there
any 'official' ONKYO fixes?
The laser diode and subsequent processing channels look OK - seems
like its an alignment problem when the disk is lifted onto the
spindle... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

The pickup either needs cleaning or replacement. Hard to get to.

They do seem to pick up a layer of dust on the objective lens.

Philips mech (yick).

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Mark. Could you give me an idea where the pickup
is located?
Thanks
John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Hudak wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
[...]

I think I found it but not sure which phillips mechanism I have. I do
have some doc on OPU66.30. Is that the one used in these units?
Thanks
John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Hudak wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention/ask, perhaps the tolerances that are set in the
controller software is too tight or maybe they just got it wrong. Can
the firmware be upgraded in these things?
John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Hudak wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
[...]

No upgrades for this model - I checked. Like I said, it's a pain to get into
one of these. It's been a year at least since I've been into one. As best as
I can recall and from looking at the service manual, you can't even SEE the
pickup without a pretty major disassembly. There's a circuit board over the
top of the mech, and the power supply at the rear needs to come out also.
Huge PITA, courtesy of Philips. The thing is, they don't want these things
worked on once they're out of warranty - we are just expected to replace it
with another piece of crap so that we can continue to keep feeding the
Chinese army.

I'm going to try sending you via e-mail a couple graphics lifted from the
service manual.

Mark Z.