Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default Onkyo DR-C500 "Disk Err" - Whats the fix?

John Hudak wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
Hi:
This 5.1 receiver/dvd/cd (5 disk changer) player has developed a
problem: displaying 'Disk Err' when changing to play a DVD or CD.
Seems to be more temperamental with DVDs (happening about 80% of
the time) and with CDs (about 20% of the time). Receiver is
about 3 yrs old, and it occasionally did this when new, now it
happens a lot. Can anyone relate with the fix is? or some things
to check out? This appears to be a chronic problem with units of
this type - Are there any 'official' ONKYO fixes?
The laser diode and subsequent processing channels look OK - seems
like its an alignment problem when the disk is lifted onto the
spindle... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

The pickup either needs cleaning or replacement. Hard to get to.

They do seem to pick up a layer of dust on the objective lens.

Philips mech (yick).

Mark Z.

Thanks for the reply Mark. Could you give me an idea where the
pickup is located?
Thanks
John

I think I found it but not sure which phillips mechanism I have. I
do have some doc on OPU66.30. Is that the one used in these units?
Thanks
John

I forgot to mention/ask, perhaps the tolerances that are set in the
controller software is too tight or maybe they just got it wrong. Can
the firmware be upgraded in these things?
John

No upgrades for this model - I checked. Like I said, it's a pain to get into
one of these. It's been a year at least since I've been into one. As best as
I can recall and from looking at the service manual, you can't even SEE the
pickup without a pretty major disassembly. There's a circuit board over the
top of the mech, and the power supply at the rear needs to come out also.
Huge PITA, courtesy of Philips. The thing is, they don't want these things
worked on once they're out of warranty - we are just expected to replace it
with another piece of crap so that we can continue to keep feeding the
Chinese army.

I'm going to try sending you via e-mail a couple graphics lifted from the
service manual.

Mark Z.