Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001 without any tools

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 16:03:03 -0400, "Steve W."

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 10:11:11 -0400, "Steve W."

The Dodge Caravan is getting 22mpg and doing just fine.
22 mpg?! Empty and going downhill with a tailwind at 264 mph on the
way to a $75 per hour job no doubt!

22mpg with a Caravan is normal.

It's normal exaggeration, usually the result of faulty measurement
and/or selective amnesia. It's not restricted to any particular
vehicle. In fact, I know someone with a Dodge 3500 dually, Cummins
IIRC, who swears he gets 30 mpg. When confronted with some guffaws, he
clarified that he *once* got 30 on a "flat" section of highway. In
fact, I know his usual trip, which includes some substantial hill
climbing on a dirt road. He gets 15 no matter what he says. He can
swear on his mother's grave, say it was verified by Stephen Hawking,
or whatever. He still gets 15 on his normal trips. Wieber probably
gets the same with his POS loaded truck that spends a lot of time in
traffic and probably only has a fully inflated tire when he pays for a
flat repair.

We got that as normal MPG in fully loaded Caravans all the time. No
exaggeration as our fuel and mileage were tracked with every fill and
over a long period of time.

They are much better on fuel than you think.

No, I think they get something under 20 overall in average conditions,
just like Ed said. In my driving, which includes some serious hill
climbing, it would be more like 17 overall. Wieber's would be worse
still. He's sleeping in the thing for crying out loud. Exaggerating
his mileage is just his way of putting the best face on it. Besides,
mileage calculations are way over his head, fillups are probably rare
considering he's always broke, and he probably only puts in $10 at a
time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:26:16 -0700, Derek LaHousse
wrote:

On 4/11/2016 1:20 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 07:05:11 -0700, Bruce Bergman
wrote:

On 4/10/2016 7:16 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 15:04:33 -0700, Jason Dale
wrote:

On 4/10/2016 2:43 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:09:18 -0500, Ignoramus6088
wrote:

Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

Ebay. All you need is money, no tools required

How has the Hotel Econoline 350 been treating you lately? Clean sheets
every night? Toilet in good working order?

The E350 is still in the shop, waiting for me to bring in the last
$300. The Dodge Caravan is getting 22mpg and doing just fine.

The Ranger is scheduled to have the valves done in a week.

Since you are using the nym of one of my foster kids

Ha ha ha ha ha! The day Kern County Department of Human Services places
a foster child in your ******** double-wide is the day I'm appointed
chairman of the Federal Reserve.

And the name of a friend....

plink

Golly...it looks as if gummer doesn't have *quite* the appetite for
"usenet 'banter' [sic]" as he once had.

He's also forgotten how many times he claimed he "loved" the
attention. But just watch, he'll find an excuse to reply the same way
Jacques does - hit and run. And there will be more lies and more
reveals as surely as the sun rises and sets.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! The day Kern County Department of Human Services places
a foster child in your ******** double-wide is the day I'm appointed
chairman of the Federal Reserve.

And the name of a friend....

plink

Golly...it looks as if gummer doesn't have *quite* the appetite for
"usenet 'banter' [sic]" as he once had.

plink

(VBG)

I can keep this up for years. Some weeks I dont mind engaging in
combat with mental cases like you..other weeks, Ive better things to
do.

(VBG)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

Ebay. All you need is money, no tools required

How has the Hotel Econoline 350 been treating you lately? Clean sheets
every night? Toilet in good working order?

The E350 is still in the shop, waiting for me to bring in the last
$300. The Dodge Caravan is getting 22mpg and doing just fine.

Oh, so you're sleeping in even less sumptuous chortle accommodations
than you had led us to believe. I am quite certain a Dodge Caravan
(which does not, of course, get 22 mpg) is much smaller than an E350.

But, you didn't answer the question...does the Hotel Caravan give you
fresh sheets and a clean toilet nightly?

I had a Caravan that got 23mpg and slept in it a number of times while
river rafting...quite comfortable and I brought fresh sheets and peed on
the closest tree which was quite clean. I take it you are one of
*those* people.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/11/2016 10:14 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle is
home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I'm guessing he's never had a job yet alone one that dictated
non-standard sleeping arrangements.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! The day Kern County Department of Human Services places
a foster child in your ******** double-wide is the day I'm appointed
chairman of the Federal Reserve.

And the name of a friend....

plink

Golly...it looks as if gummer doesn't have *quite* the appetite for
"usenet 'banter' [sic]" as he once had.

plink

(VBG)

I can keep this up for years. Some weeks I dont mind engaging in
combat with mental cases like you..other weeks, Ive better things to

That is, of course, the biggest lie you've ever told. Not the worst
lie, just the biggest. Your time is worthless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/11/2016 4:00 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/11/2016 10:14 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle is
home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I'm guessing he's never had a job yet alone one that dictated
non-standard sleeping arrangements.

I've been gainfully employed without interruption for over 40 years. I
have never had a job that "dictated" sleeping arrangements in any way.
That's what happen when one gets a university education in a worthwhile
field. One gets a different result when one ****es away time at "a bunc
of nite [sic] schools."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

Ebay. All you need is money, no tools required
How has the Hotel Econoline 350 been treating you lately? Clean sheets
every night? Toilet in good working order?
The E350 is still in the shop, waiting for me to bring in the last
$300. The Dodge Caravan is getting 22mpg and doing just fine.

Oh, so you're sleeping in even less sumptuous chortle accommodations
than you had led us to believe. I am quite certain a Dodge Caravan
(which does not, of course, get 22 mpg) is much smaller than an E350.

But, you didn't answer the question...does the Hotel Caravan give you
fresh sheets and a clean toilet nightly?

Ran a number of Caravans through the years. 22mpg is normal with the 3.0
and 3.3 engine.

As for sleeping in a work vehicle. Did it for a while. Not an uncommon
thing for road techs and drivers. You same money on hotels, stay close
to your tools and equipment (which helps prevent theft) and just visit a
truck stop or similar to grab a shower.

The intrepid Gunner has never mentioned "grabbing a shower". Which may
be a determining factor in why he seems to lack for jobs.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:17:44 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

plOn Mon, 11 Apr 2016 07:01:58 -0700, Kevin Casey
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like scrounging to me.

plink!

Plinking your detractors will result in you having an extremely
limited circle of correspondents.
--

Cheers,

Schweik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He and Larry are busy creating an alternate universe. It's a little
like this one but it only contains members of the Crédule Lumbago
tribe. It assumes that what we see in our "old" life is imaginary, and
that only certain social media are real. Then they depopulate their
universe by plonking people. They communicate by dog whistle.

It's an interesting idea. Once we have full 3D and virtual reality,
there's really no need to leave. You can have your groceries
delivered.

But I think that free delivery of groceries is contingent on one's
paying for the groceries.... perhaps a problem for Gunner and his ilk.
--

Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! The day Kern County Department of Human Services places
a foster child in your ******** double-wide is the day I'm appointed
chairman of the Federal Reserve.

And the name of a friend....

plink

Golly...it looks as if gummer doesn't have *quite* the appetite for
"usenet 'banter' [sic]" as he once had.

plink

(VBG)

I can keep this up for years. Some weeks I dont mind engaging in
combat with mental cases like you..other weeks, Ive better things to
do.

You mean that you have no difficulties in talking with your betters?
--

Cheers,

Schweik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! The day Kern County Department of Human Services places
a foster child in your ******** double-wide is the day I'm appointed
chairman of the Federal Reserve.

And the name of a friend....

plink

Golly...it looks as if gummer doesn't have *quite* the appetite for
"usenet 'banter' [sic]" as he once had.

plink

(VBG)

I can keep this up for years. Some weeks I dont mind engaging in
combat with mental cases like you..other weeks, Ive better things to

That is, of course, the biggest lie you've ever told. Not the worst
lie, just the biggest. Your time is worthless.

Less than worthless, because he toils at going backward. Early on he
had jobs, then he stepped down to having a failed "company." He used
to have a travel trailer to sleep in, then a full size van, then a
Caravan. He's well on his way to a park bench. Now he admits he needs
a job again but can't get one because of his magnificent dedication to
creating an unredeemable Internet persona. Can you imagine how fast
his resume would hit the round file when a prospective employer google
his name? Like a Kobe Bryant bullet, followed by the complete emptying
of a can of tineacide. Ah, but Wieber says the real reason he can't
get hired is that he's old! LOL Anyway, you can see what's coming.
If he lives long enough he'll get on some sort of permanent charity...
and he'll say he's retired!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! The day Kern County Department of Human Services places
a foster child in your ******** double-wide is the day I'm appointed
chairman of the Federal Reserve.

And the name of a friend....

plink

Golly...it looks as if gummer doesn't have *quite* the appetite for
"usenet 'banter' [sic]" as he once had.

plink

(VBG)

I can keep this up for years. Some weeks I dont mind engaging in
combat with mental cases like you..other weeks, Ive better things to

That is, of course, the biggest lie you've ever told. Not the worst
lie, just the biggest. Your time is worthless.

Looks like you only have another 240 or so Facebook friends (IRRC) to
use up. Not a problem (VBG)

When you talk about "time is worthless"..I find it incredibly funny
that you have nothing better to do than spend your time cutting and
pasting the names of my friends and acquaintances from Facebook, and
then using em here. ROFLMAO!!!

So, what metalworking have you done in the last 7 days, besides anal
sex with a piece of pipe? (VBG)

plink

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Indeed..he is one of *those* people.

ROFLMAO!!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 19:00:15 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 4/11/2016 10:14 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle is
home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I'm guessing he's never had a job yet alone one that dictated
non-standard sleeping arrangements.

He claims to be "retired". I suppose one could classify being kept in
the Home to being...retired. Involuntarily ......

(VBG)

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 16:32:54 -0700, Matt Singer
wrote:

On 4/11/2016 4:00 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/11/2016 10:14 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle is
home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I'm guessing he's never had a job yet alone one that dictated
non-standard sleeping arrangements.

I've been gainfully employed without interruption for over 40 years. I
have never had a job that "dictated" sleeping arrangements in any way.
That's what happen when one gets a university education in a worthwhile
field. One gets a different result when one ****es away time at "a bunc
of nite [sic] schools."

Snicker...ayup...he is one of *those* people.....roflmao!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

....and missing out on all that "usenet 'banter'"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Matt Singer"

Your time is worthless.

Jackass plonked..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Another jackass plonked..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:14:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:19:23 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 22:55:25 -0700,
wrote:

The E350 is still in the shop, waiting for me to bring in the last
$300.

Hmmm, how long does it take to find 4 hours work?

I got 35 hours last week. That was 10 hours a day.

plink

I can do this for years if necessary.

(VBG)

PLEASE DON'T

What..I should NOT killfile the peckerheads?

Why the **** not?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The E350 is still in the shop, waiting for me to bring in the last
$300.

Hmmm, how long does it take to find 4 hours work?

I got 35 hours last week. That was 10 hours a day.

plink

I can do this for years if necessary.

(VBG)

PLEASE DON'T

What..I should NOT killfile the peckerheads?

Why the **** not?

So now you're going to insult the intelligence of your friends as
well? Typical Wieber dumb move. Not to worry though, Jacques loves
being your bitch. Punk him all you want, nothing is too much for him
to take.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 5:09:20 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus6088 wrote:
Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

"Just" wrap wire around some centerless ground hardened steel shaft, two strands if you like, then either in the first case run balls about the diameter of the wire on the wires, or in the second case run balls about twice that size on the lands of the wire. "Just" dip-braze the whole thing using anti-flux on the outer surface of the wires, so that only the connection between the wire and shaft is brazed. "Just" heat the whole thing so slowly, and match the alloys so carefully, that the wire does not slack and move.

"Just" read everything Maudsley wrote, and everything citing it, for three hundred years, including all down citations.

It's not all that difficult, is there some reason you haven't tried this already?

(laughs) You are not 300 years old? I feel like I am some times.

Doug Goncz
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

Ebay. All you need is money, no tools required

How has the Hotel Econoline 350 been treating you lately? Clean sheets
every night? Toilet in good working order?

Hotel Econoline is great! Last night I found a pile of chocolates on
my pillow! Well, it isn't so much a pillow as it is a duffel bag. And
they weren't so much chocolates as they were rat ****. The hotel
service dogs are supposed to prevent these things but they moved to
better accommodations with the guy who holds up a "hungry please help
sign" at the off ramp.

A recent film covers a women who lives in a van...it's quite popular.

Doug Goncz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 6:54:32 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus6088" wrote in message
Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

Just wind a wire around the shaft, with the turns pushed snugly
together. Dip the assembly in solder, then pull the wire off.

That was a real method to originate a precision master screw once.
They wound a brass and a black iron wire side by side so only the
brass would stick in the solder, unwound the iron wire, then used the
brass "thread" to guide a cutter on a steel leadscrew blank.

A little-known local inventor here invented a screw cutting lathe at
about the same time as Maudslay in England.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...son_(machinist)
America would have started the Industrial Revolution if England hadn't
been slightly ahead of us.

--jsw

Jim, left hook beat my right cross down thread. You win.

Doug Goncz
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

Ebay. All you need is money, no tools required

How has the Hotel Econoline 350 been treating you lately? Clean sheets
every night? Toilet in good working order?

The E350 is still in the shop, waiting for me to bring in the last
$300. The Dodge Caravan is getting 22mpg and doing just fine.

The Ranger is scheduled to have the valves done in a week.

Since you are using the nym of one of my foster kids, its obvious you
really are mentally ill. All your other nyms have been killfiled. No
problem, Jason doesnt even know about Usenet, so off you go into the
Bozo bin. As I said..first time...everytime you appear..off you go.

plink
You really are a mentally ill stupid piece of ****, best wiped off on
the nearest curb.
wipe

Gunner

The Nissan L.E.A.F. is doing fine or was, yesterday, pounding out the bluegrass from local FM 105.5 behind the condo where there was a fire 18 FEB, as the good old boys pounded a cast iron tub to smithereens (Anyone named Smith aged 13-19 should know about that) inside.

Doug Goncz
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-04-10, Jim Wilkins wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 5:09:20 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus6088 wrote:
Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001" accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

I suggest you get the foxfire books. They have a lot of backwoods
articles and I am pretty sure one has an article on making marbles
by putting stones in a fast running stream and with time they become
spherical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_%28magazine%29

Dan

Here's a machine that cuts rifling without a master screw:
http://imgur.com/a/IRXHS

The rack guided by the angled rod rotates a gear that turns the
rifling cutter.

--jsw

This is extremely ingenious. I really enjoyed the pictures.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-04-11, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle is home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I see, use, and deal with a lot of truck drivers. On some days, I
think that their job is not so bad. On other days, I think that they
are just a step above homeless people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-04-11, Matt Singer wrote:
On 4/11/2016 4:00 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/11/2016 10:14 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle is
home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I'm guessing he's never had a job yet alone one that dictated
non-standard sleeping arrangements.

I've been gainfully employed without interruption for over 40 years. I
have never had a job that "dictated" sleeping arrangements in any
way.

This is not much to be proud of.

That's what happen when one gets a university education in a
worthwhile field. One gets a different result when one ****es away
time at "a bunc of nite [sic] schools."

I used to think that too, having had jobs and university education.

After a while, I got tired of it, quit the jobs and opened a business.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26267" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001"
accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

I suggest you get the foxfire books. They have a lot of backwoods
articles and I am pretty sure one has an article on making marbles
by putting stones in a fast running stream and with time they
become
spherical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_%28magazine%29

Dan

Here's a machine that cuts rifling without a master screw:
http://imgur.com/a/IRXHS

The rack guided by the angled rod rotates a gear that turns the
rifling cutter.

--jsw

This is extremely ingenious. I really enjoyed the pictures.

By far the best account I've seen of the long and difficult
development of accurate screw threads for scientific instruments and
machine tools is in Holtzapffel Volume 2:
http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifi...fel/index.html
I have a paper copy and not enough bandwidth to check those download
links.

http://www.surveyhistory.org/the_dividing_engine1.htm
"There is no branch of mechanical arts which require more skill in the
use of tools, more geometric knowledge, or greater patience, than the
construction of an automatic dividing engine."

The ancient Greeks knew the basic geometric principles, but the
practice proved to be very, very difficult. This was the
chicken-and-egg problem whose solution enabled the Industrial
Revolution.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26267" wrote in
message ...
On 2016-04-11, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a
hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle
is home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I see, use, and deal with a lot of truck drivers. On some days, I
think that their job is not so bad. On other days, I think that they
are just a step above homeless people.

Once the Army or Marines shows you how to live outdoors like a
stone-age nomad it isn't so intimidating.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26267" wrote in
message ...
On 2016-04-11, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a
hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your vehicle
is home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one of
those jobs for a living.

I see, use, and deal with a lot of truck drivers. On some days, I
think that their job is not so bad. On other days, I think that they
are just a step above homeless people.

Once the Army or Marines shows you how to live outdoors like a
stone-age nomad it isn't so intimidating.

It is not intimidating, but it is not fun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26267" wrote in
message ...
"Ignoramus26267" wrote in
message ...
On 2016-04-11, Steve W. wrote:

Guess you never heard of Truck Drivers, Military crews, or a
hundred
other jobs where it is normal to work in an area where your
vehicle
is home.

Also sounds like you would last maybe a day if you had to do one
of
those jobs for a living.

I see, use, and deal with a lot of truck drivers. On some days, I
think that their job is not so bad. On other days, I think that
they
are just a step above homeless people.

Once the Army or Marines shows you how to live outdoors like a
stone-age nomad it isn't so intimidating.

It is not intimidating, but it is not fun.

I made my own tent and sleeping bag and tinkered with them until I
liked them, then discovered that Jack Stephenson lived nearby and
offered light-weight expedition gear with performance I could never
hope to approach, although he was very helpful and sold me some
material.
http://warmlite.com/

That bunch has something of a 'Burning Man', communal hot tub attitude
and not everything may be suitable for kids. The old printed catalog
certainly isn't.

The only part of sleeping on the ground I really didn't like was
waking up to heavy rain when I was travelling on a motorcycle.

--jsw