Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001 without any tools

"Ignoramus26267" wrote in
message ...
On 2016-04-10, Jim Wilkins wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 5:09:20 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus6088
wrote:
Hello, I need to make a ball screw and ball nut to 0.0001"
accuracy
without any tools. Please help me with creative ideas.

I suggest you get the foxfire books. They have a lot of backwoods
articles and I am pretty sure one has an article on making marbles
by putting stones in a fast running stream and with time they
become
spherical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_%28magazine%29

Dan

Here's a machine that cuts rifling without a master screw:
http://imgur.com/a/IRXHS

The rack guided by the angled rod rotates a gear that turns the
rifling cutter.

--jsw

This is extremely ingenious. I really enjoyed the pictures.

By far the best account I've seen of the long and difficult
development of accurate screw threads for scientific instruments and
machine tools is in Holtzapffel Volume 2:
http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifi...fel/index.html
I have a paper copy and not enough bandwidth to check those download
links.

http://www.surveyhistory.org/the_dividing_engine1.htm
"There is no branch of mechanical arts which require more skill in the
use of tools, more geometric knowledge, or greater patience, than the
construction of an automatic dividing engine."

The ancient Greeks knew the basic geometric principles, but the
practice proved to be very, very difficult. This was the
chicken-and-egg problem whose solution enabled the Industrial
Revolution.

--jsw