Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Santa help: buying a vice and a drill press

A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

On a drill press, his spouse didn't balk at $400 so I'm looking
at CraigsList in the Seattle area for lack of a better approach.
I've proved myself less knowledgeable on such than I thought.
Where is Yoda when I need him?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:10:32 +0000 (UTC)
David Lesher wrote:

snip
I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

Be careful trying to avoid HF. A lot of the more expensive stuff from
elsewhere is essentially the same item. HF has a comment/review section
for each item. If a product sucks, has some sort of deficiency users
will point it out. Sometimes I'll still buy it with the idea of fixing
whatever flaw has been noted.

All that being said my favorite vice (and my Dad's) are the 5 inch
Multipurpose like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-...ise-67415.html

I have a couple of them and they have worked well, but... they were
purchased many years ago. So what they sell today may look the same but
may not be equal if you know what I mean. Other places sell these too
now so look around...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:10:32 +0000 (UTC)
David Lesher wrote:

snip
[...]

I have a similar vise as a bench vise, and it does quite a lot. Also from
Harbor Freight. I lost one of the pipe jaws some time ago, but I can count
on one finger the number of times I actually used it. I also several other
bench vises. A carpenters vise, an all aluminum Zeillis (sp), and a
Columbian with smooth jaws. They all get used.

However, I wonder if the OP might have been asking about a drill press vise.
I've got a couple cheap ones, but I usually use one of my screwless vises
instead because the extra mass really helps with vibration, handling, and
safety.

I also own 3 HF drill presses. All three are ok, but the smaller benchtop
16 speed and 12 speed both have less runout than my floor model 16 speed. I
still use the floor model all the time for general hole making. I keep
tapping heads in the other two. If I need a little better hole making, but
not bad enough to go the Hurco mill I'll use either of my mill drills (one
is HF and the other may be HF but has no name plate) and a collet chuck that
I keep for quick and dirty manual work. My RF-30 makes a pretty good drill
press, and the little noname isn't to bad either, but neither has the
drilling flexibility of a floor model drill press.

The real question is what does he want to use the drill press for. I would
note that HF's selection has been reduced significantly over the last few
years.

If I went HF for a new drill press I think I'ld be sorely tempted to go for
the 20" 12 speed with its large square table, and hope runout wasn't too
bad. Its a little over budget, but its a beast for the price. They strill
also offer a variant of the RF30/31 mill drill, but its a lot over your
budget, and if I went that way I'ld probably order one from Grizzly, because
they have a reputation for a little better quality control. Its a couple
hundred more and comes with a stand, but it might not have the throat for
some woodworking projects.

Hmmm... I see the Grizzly version of the 20" floor model is on sale right
now. Something to look at anyway. It still costs more than the HF.

Like I said... it really depends on what he plans to use it for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 2:10:35 PM UTC-5, David Lesher wrote:
A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

You might also join the metalheads group on Yahoo. It is a metal working group for Seattle folks. For what it is worth , my favourite vise is a 4 inch Columbian. But I have picked up a couple of Charles Parker vises that are pretty nice.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" writes:

I have a similar vise as a bench vise, and it does quite a lot. Also from
Harbor Freight. I lost one of the pipe jaws some time ago, but I can count
on one finger the number of times I actually used it. I also several other
bench vises. A carpenters vise, an all aluminum Zeillis (sp), and a
Columbian with smooth jaws. They all get used.

However, I wonder if the OP might have been asking about a drill press vise.
I've got a couple cheap ones, but I usually use one of my screwless vises
instead because the extra mass really helps with vibration, handling, and
safety.

He needs a bench vice of the general utility ilk.

I'm looking at http://www.homedepot.com/p/compare/?errorURL=ProductAttributeErrorView&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&prodComp_0=2027863 43&prodComp_1=205023076&prodComp_2=205149972&prodC omp_3=205023093&keyword=vice

at HD, but have no good idea if the Yost is worth 2.5X the 6" Bessey....

I also own 3 HF drill presses. All three are ok, but the smaller benchtop
16 speed and 12 speed both have less runout than my floor model 16 speed.

I was debating the risks of a CraigsList deal given the Santa who could see
it knows zero... But even used real machine tools are a step up from HF in my opinion...

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

On a drill press, his spouse didn't balk at $400 so I'm looking
at CraigsList in the Seattle area for lack of a better approach.
I've proved myself less knowledgeable on such than I thought.
Where is Yoda when I need him?

This one is in Shelton.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/tls/5351790055.html

Hiding under that ugly paint is a Wilson "bullet" vice. Needs a good
cleaning and the base repaired. Maybe dress the anvil. Very good US made
machinists vice.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

On a drill press, his spouse didn't balk at $400 so I'm looking
at CraigsList in the Seattle area for lack of a better approach.
I've proved myself less knowledgeable on such than I thought.
Where is Yoda when I need him?

I paid more than that for my vise, a gift to myself one Christmas.
It's a 5" Wilton machinist vise. I mounted it on a vise stand I
welded up from 6" square tube, 1" plate on top cut to the mounting
template and drilled and tapped for the mounting bolts, and a gusseted
1/2" plate for the floor flange. Great vise, don't know what they run
these days.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

Gunner will likely chime in with some of his stock of old but good
vises.

PNW? If you're near Bellingham, stop in at Grizzly.

I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

Why? I've been happily beating the crap out of a $24 HF 5" Mechanic's
vise since 1977, when they opened the Escondido, CA store. Nirvana!

On a drill press, his spouse didn't balk at $400 so I'm looking
at CraigsList in the Seattle area for lack of a better approach.
I've proved myself less knowledgeable on such than I thought.
Where is Yoda when I need him?

Joined with the Force at the hip, as usual.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:10:32 +0000 (UTC), the renowned David Lesher
wrote:

A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

On a drill press, his spouse didn't balk at $400 so I'm looking
at CraigsList in the Seattle area for lack of a better approach.
I've proved myself less knowledgeable on such than I thought.
Where is Yoda when I need him?

Grizzly is a bit of a step up from HF (IMHO) but still the category of
(mostly) China made tools. The QC is better and the support (IME) is
decent.

China made stuff often looks pretty similar in design (so you might be
fooled into thinking it's just painted different colors for the
customer) but often comes from different factories with quite
different standards.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

On a drill press, his spouse didn't balk at $400 so I'm looking
at CraigsList in the Seattle area for lack of a better approach.
I've proved myself less knowledgeable on such than I thought.
Where is Yoda when I need him?

Grizzly is a bit of a step up from HF (IMHO) but still the category of
(mostly) China made tools. The QC is better and the support (IME) is
decent.

That's the experience I've had with Griz stuff, too.

China made stuff often looks pretty similar in design (so you might be
fooled into thinking it's just painted different colors for the
customer) but often comes from different factories with quite
different standards.

Quality probably varies with which batch of scrap steel it was made
from, too.

Y'know, rereading his post, I'm wondering if he meant to say "drill
press with drill press vise". My first take was shop vise and drill
press. We'll see, wot?

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
-- George Lois

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 11:10:35 AM UTC-8, David Lesher wrote:
A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

Well, that sounds like it's time to pay a visit to Hardwick's.
Take binocs, and you/a-friend can admire the woodwork memorabilia
amid the rafters...
www.ehardwicks.com

They have a rotating inventory of pre-owned as well as new...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default going off-line

I won't be replyingto anything (or reading it) for the next week
Going on a little cruise with the bride and our youngest daugher, her
man, and his 2 kids. Travelling with a 10 year old and a 12 year old -
Heaven help me!!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 1:10:35 PM UTC-6, David Lesher wrote:
A friend on the North Wet Coast in in need of a good vice, and a
drill press. He already has a mostly woodworking shop but also
is building up metalworking tools.

I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

On a drill press, his spouse didn't balk at $400 so I'm looking
at CraigsList in the Seattle area for lack of a better approach.
I've proved myself less knowledgeable on such than I thought.
Where is Yoda when I need him?

I just looked at all the Drill presses on the Seattle CL. I only saw one that I would have in my shop. There is a Jet unit for $500. If that is the 20" model it appears to be, that's not a bad price for a serious ($900 new) drill. I think Jet is a step above Grizzly.

But that's the only thing I saw worth having.

You might keep your eye out for one of the older Craftsman 15" drill presses, made in the 1970s. They have a thin belt and will run up to 8500 RPM. Very stout. I bought one last week for $50. It will look new in a few days, and I'll have $100 in it. Very stout, well made, non-import. Ball-bearing spindle. models 113-24580 (bench) and 113-24590 (floor model).
Also model 113-21371 is almost identical, earlier model.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/12/2015 10:58 PM, Rex wrote:
[snip]

You might keep your eye out for one of the older Craftsman 15" drill presses, made in the 1970s. They have a thin belt and will run up to 8500 RPM. Very stout. I bought one last week for $50. It will look new in a few days, and I'll have $100 in it. Very stout, well made, non-import. Ball-bearing spindle. models 113-24580 (bench) and 113-24590 (floor model).
Also model 113-21371 is almost identical, earlier model.

I've had a couple of those drill presses. They are fine for light work. Changing
speed is a snap. They are worthless for anything needing high torque.
Try before you buy. :-)