Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Santa help: buying a vice and a drill press

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:10:32 +0000 (UTC)
David Lesher wrote:

snip
I'm trying to help Santa but don't know where to start. What
brand names matters in the metalworking vice category, and where
do you buy such? (Assuming we avoid H-F...)

Be careful trying to avoid HF. A lot of the more expensive stuff from
elsewhere is essentially the same item. HF has a comment/review section
for each item. If a product sucks, has some sort of deficiency users
will point it out. Sometimes I'll still buy it with the idea of fixing
whatever flaw has been noted.

All that being said my favorite vice (and my Dad's) are the 5 inch
Multipurpose like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-...ise-67415.html

I have a couple of them and they have worked well, but... they were
purchased many years ago. So what they sell today may look the same but
may not be equal if you know what I mean. Other places sell these too
now so look around...

I have a similar vise as a bench vise, and it does quite a lot. Also from
Harbor Freight. I lost one of the pipe jaws some time ago, but I can count
on one finger the number of times I actually used it. I also several other
bench vises. A carpenters vise, an all aluminum Zeillis (sp), and a
Columbian with smooth jaws. They all get used.

However, I wonder if the OP might have been asking about a drill press vise.
I've got a couple cheap ones, but I usually use one of my screwless vises
instead because the extra mass really helps with vibration, handling, and
safety.

I also own 3 HF drill presses. All three are ok, but the smaller benchtop
16 speed and 12 speed both have less runout than my floor model 16 speed. I
still use the floor model all the time for general hole making. I keep
tapping heads in the other two. If I need a little better hole making, but
not bad enough to go the Hurco mill I'll use either of my mill drills (one
is HF and the other may be HF but has no name plate) and a collet chuck that
I keep for quick and dirty manual work. My RF-30 makes a pretty good drill
press, and the little noname isn't to bad either, but neither has the
drilling flexibility of a floor model drill press.

The real question is what does he want to use the drill press for. I would
note that HF's selection has been reduced significantly over the last few
years.

If I went HF for a new drill press I think I'ld be sorely tempted to go for
the 20" 12 speed with its large square table, and hope runout wasn't too
bad. Its a little over budget, but its a beast for the price. They strill
also offer a variant of the RF30/31 mill drill, but its a lot over your
budget, and if I went that way I'ld probably order one from Grizzly, because
they have a reputation for a little better quality control. Its a couple
hundred more and comes with a stand, but it might not have the throat for
some woodworking projects.

Hmmm... I see the Grizzly version of the 20" floor model is on sale right
now. Something to look at anyway. It still costs more than the HF.

Like I said... it really depends on what he plans to use it for.