Tom Gardner

Default buying a Dayton drill press

If it works, and the chuck run-out is minimal, buy it! I certainly would.
It'll clean-up.

"alam" wrote in message
Hello.
Today I passed a thrift shop that had an old Dayton DF12 floor drill
press outside. I stopped to ask how much and they said about $65.
And offered to hook it up to show me how well it ran.

I dont really know anything about drill presses. Are these any good?
It seem to have a lot of surface rust on it but I dont know how
serious that might be.

What should I look for? I was going to take my test indicator and
check out the runout but what else do I check ???

If it's ok, what would be a fair price to offer the guy?

Thanks in advance,

Art

Grant Erwin

This is a 12" floor model? A 6" bench model?

Anyway, run it. Run it in the slowest speed and the highest speed.
Does it vibrate excessively? Crank the table up and down (it does
crank up and down, right?) and see it it sticks. Put a round rod
in the chuck and run it. Touch it on the side with your finger.
Does it "buzz" (indicating wobble)?

$65 isn't very much for a tool you will use. If you have no drill
press, then this is very likely a whole lot better than nothing.

See http://www.tinyisland.com/htbdrillp.txt

Grant

alam wrote:
Hello.
Today I passed a thrift shop that had an old Dayton DF12 floor drill
press outside. I stopped to ask how much and they said about $65.
And offered to hook it up to show me how well it ran.

I dont really know anything about drill presses. Are these any good?
It seem to have a lot of surface rust on it but I dont know how
serious that might be.

What should I look for? I was going to take my test indicator and
check out the runout but what else do I check ???

If it's ok, what would be a fair price to offer the guy?

Thanks in advance,

Art

Keith Marshall

Today I passed a thrift shop that had an old Dayton DF12 floor drill
press outside. I stopped to ask how much and they said about $65.
And offered to hook it up to show me how well it ran.

If it works it sounds like a decent price but I'll be suprised if it's still
there tomorrow. :-(

A local Goodwill store had a floor drill press in the back room a couple of
months ago. You could see it though a window in the door to the back room
and there were three men hovering around the door just waiting for them to
bring it out. The casting that the table is mounted on was busted into 3 or
4 parts but it was still gone in no time at $45. I can't remember the brand
but it was none that I'd heard of and it was VERY poorly built.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934

Buying a new drill Bruce UK diy 21 June 8th 04 12:41 AM
slowing my drill press michael Metalworking 11 July 19th 03 03:22 AM
Drill Press Plans Jason Walter Metalworking 0 July 12th 03 01:59 PM